Jaden Ivey - 2020 Guard (Purdue)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 3, 2018.

1. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $749
    Nobody recruits Indiana like Painter. Dude takes every kid 85-175 from the state and makes them studs.

2. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $411
    When exactly was Butler a destination school?

3. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Agreed!

4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,240
    [​IMG]

Surprised he committed before the first evaluation period, but not shocked he didn't choose us. Painter loves coach's/basketball players' kids... Another one to the archives

SpartanDawgs and Shimmy like this.
  5. Red1972

Money:
    $1,167
    Painter can flat out coach. He loses four starters and still ties for Big Ten title, and reaches the elite eight.

6. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $371
    hahahahahaha. Thanks for the laughs.

7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    huh?

Tell me you're not disputing that Painter is a good coach.

peeps112, fdr, PSUButlerFan and 2 others like this.
  8. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $371
    Not saying he is bad but I would say he has under perform expectations. There's a reason why so many Purdue fans wanted him out the past few years...

9. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Purdue fans wanted him out? All of the Boilermaker fans I know love the guy.

10. jkcdawgs

Money:
    $749
    - Lost 5,000+ career points and made an Elite 8
    - National COY
    - Three straight Sweet 16’s
    - Two straight seasons being Top 10 in offensive efficiency
    - 45-11 last three years in B1G

How is that underperforming?

DawgPoundMac and mwall787 like this.
  11. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $685
    Purdue missed the tournament in 2013 and 2014. Then lost in the first round in 2015 and 2016. There was definitely a pretty decent segment of the fan base that wanted him out after losing to Arkansas Little Rock. Fans are stupid. But yes, there were definitely fire Painter rumblings.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  12. jkcdawgs

Money:
    $749
    Ronnie Johnson affect.

BoilerBulldog likes this.
  13. Red1972

Money:
    $1,167
    A few bad recruiting classes (character issues) set him back a few years, but he has definitely turned it around. Painter realized the problem and rectified it good for
    him.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Purdue ranks 15th in Kenpom's program ranker, which dates back to 2000 and is essentially an average of all performances during that span. 6 of those seasons (2000-2005) include the last bit of the Keady era, which weren't particularly good years for Purdue (only one top 25 team in that span). So, the Keady seasons weigh down the Purdue 21st century average a bit.

So, during the Painter era, there are likely only 10 or so teams that have performed better.

What exactly are your/their fans' expectations for Purdue? Painter is an elite coach. He's often not treated as such because they've not broken through to the Final Four. But seasons as a whole (and indeed, 15 seasons as a whole) are a much better gauge of a coach's acumen than the results of a single elimination tournament.

15. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $180
    Painter has had a good run and could turn it to a great run if he continues to trend this way. I have friends that have inside information and one was even on the dump Painter bandwagon a couple years ago but we all forget players are human as are coaches and on occasion we all do things looking back on it with 20-20 hindsight we shouldn’t have done. I think this happened to Painter about 6 -7 years ago and his recruiting suffered for a couple of years because of the quality/character of some of the people he ended up with.

Think unless Purdue is willing to pay top 5 salary that Painter is the guy that can get them to their first Final Four since 1980

16. BoyGeoff

BoyGeoff Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $202
    Those seasons followed his significant pay increase to remain at Purdue as he was speaking with Missouri in 2011 and turned that down when Purdue ponied up with big money. The timing of a couple of tough years immediately following added some fuel to the fire. That ship is clearly righted and the Purdue program now looks like the most solid basketball program in the state.

17. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $575
    You mean after IU, right? Never mind, I know that's what you had to mean.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    I remember a little bit of grumbling after that losing season, but not enough that I would quantify as "many" fans wanting him gone. Then again, I don't visit Purdue message boards where I am sure there are probably fans who wanted him gone after their loss to Virginia in the Elite Eight this year.

19. BoilerBulldog

BoilerBulldog Member

Money:
    $98
    Yes. I think this is generally correct. Those grumblings are long gone but they were noticeable back then and even through the UALR debacle. I think 99% of the fan base is onboard at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops