Jalen Johnson - 2020 Forward (Offered)

Discussion in '2020 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,616
    This kid is ready for college already.

BHayden, cornette33 and bicknob like this.
  2. Tark43

Tark43 Active Member

Money:
    $337
    Every mix tape comes with a whole shaker full of grains of salt, but that's one of the most impressive I've seen. He's so fluid, and has phenomenal ball skills at his size. And that might not be his ending size (and no I'm not projecting he's going to grow another 6 inches, just saying he's a sophomore).

BHayden likes this.
  3. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $246
  4. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,546
    So half of you misers probably aren’t interested, right? Because I see all the time on here that recruiting rankings don’t matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Daddysmack likes this.
  5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,616
    To believe he has two more years of high school! Kid is amazing.

6. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $365
    Not much of a point in being interested, considering there's about a 1% chance (if that) he winds up at Butler.

The rankings don't matter to a degree, considering Butler consistently performs well above the individual talents that they get.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,616
    Odds of getting him is between nil and zero but why not offer? If we want to play with the big boys we have to act like it. Nike, UA and Adidas aren't going to direct these kids our way but showing we are interested tells the four star players we want talent.

Dewars12 likes this.
  8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,467
    You never know what could happen until you try. I like it, especially when we see programs like Creighton and Seton Hall able to sign 5 star guys. We could get those players if it was the right situation for everyone involved.

9. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $753
    Couldn’t disagree more.

Rankings are the best single predictor of performance, even if they aren’t the end all be all. Yes, Butler does consistently perform above individual talents. But if we got higher level talent and still performed above individual talents that might end up putting us back in the final four and competing for BE tourney titles rather than out in the second round and in the 2nd tier of the BE.

It is important to show interest. It signals that Lavall is going to compete for top tier guys going forward. Plus, even though we haven’t historically been able to land these guys, this current moment is vastly different—BE vs Horizon; 2 final 4s vs none.

Yes, the chances of landing this one is slim but if LaVall is here 5+ years and we maintain on court success, we will land them every once in a while. No reason not to start offering a select few.

shoeevv and Insane Dawg like this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $703
    Do we though? Class size is a component of rankings relative to other teams, so because we graduate most players and have relatively fewer transfers than a lot of places, our rank relative to others isn’t that impressive. If you do a weighted average of the quality and adjust by the experience they have, I’m not quite sure how we fare.

My point is that the number 90 recruit three years ago should be dramatically better than the number recruit from last summer. We’re consistently giving the lions share of the minutes to guys who have been around the block, and usually, were pretty highly regarded recruits.

Obviously there are some exceptions to this (Thompson, Baldwin, Chrabascz), but of our really good players recently with the exception of Chrabs, almost all have been top 150/borderline 4 star guys. If you look around the country, there are almost no top 100 guys who don’t become impactful players by their senior season.

It’s just not fair to compare what we get out of our classes vs Kentucky gets out of theirs, because the utilization is completely different.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,143
    Hayward, Mack, Graves, Green, Barlow, (McDermott?)... the guys you mentioned...could keep going...

You really gonna try to argue our players don’t tend to overperform their perceived value? That’s a losing argument.

And to play devil’s advocate, if the *team’s* success is due more to relative experience than outperformance of pre-Butler-perceived value, does that matter?

I’m totally on board with the idea that you’ve got to get players to win, and many of Butler’s best players have been guys who are rated above the kind of guys we’re looking at landing right now (Dunham, Martin, Howard, Rose, Marshall - all fairly highly regarded guys). We’ve got to recruit some top 150 guys to play at or above the level we’ve played at and become accustomed to. But the argument that our guys don’t tend to overachieve is absurd.

12. Irishdawg

Money:
    $365
    Butler absolutely made the right move offering Johnson. I also didn't say the rankings don't matter period, just that a lot can be made up through chemistry and player development, so they don't matter to a degree.

I don't want to derail this thread, but if you take the average rating of each player in each class in the Big East on 247 rather than factoring in the number of players, Butler's classes have been ranked 8th or worse every year since they joined the Big East.

13. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,378
    Marquette is a ****tier program than Butler pretty much across the board, and didn’t they land that 5-Star big guy a few years ago? He left early, but they got him. No reason Butler can’t too.

Reason I use Marquette is this kid is from Wisconsin.

14. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $244
    They're also getting a 5 star PF according to some Recruiting sites this year. However, its worth mentioning that his old brother currently plays for Marquette and that they're from Wisconsin as well.

15. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,142
    Butler outperforms them on the court the last few years, but other than that we're not on the same playing field as Marquette...yet. We're definitely taking steps to get there, but Marquette has one of the largest CBBs in the nation (the largest in the BigEast).

16. godogs91

godogs91 Active Member

Money:
    $2,949
    If I recall, the budget numbers that get posted include any facility rentals that schools have to pay. So while Marquette may be spending more on "true recruiting" than Butler, I highly doubt that the gap is as large as what may be perceived.

BulldogCTM likes this.
  17. Irishdawg

Money:
    $365
    For the year ending 6/30/17, this is how much each Big East School spent on recruiting for its male sports. I assume the majority of this has to do with basketball:

1. Marquette - $1,112,647
    2. Georgetown - $502,857
    3. Xavier - $492,701
    4. St. John's - $390,628
    5. Villanova - $328,488
    6. Creighton - $310,805
    7. Providence - $291,022
    8. Butler - $269,015
    9. DePaul - $244,671
    10. Seton Hall - $197,805

So yeah, one of these is not like the others. Even though Butler is towards the bottom of this list, they are spending at least a comparable amount to the rest of the schools in the league outside of the top 4. But I also don't think it's purely dollar signs that are going to get the higher rated guys like Jalen Johnson to come to Butler or any of these programs.

BHayden likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,616
    Unless there are under the table cash payments which would be fairly easy to do.

19. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,360
    I would rather lose.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  20. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,690
    Nova spends a third of what Marquette spends and has 2 national championships to Marquette’s 0. Can’t say that big money is better than smart money.

MSUDawg, NateDog and seadawg like this.