Jamarius Burton - 2018 Guard (Wichita State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Irishdawg, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $23
  2. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,051
  3. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    Does anyone know if we have offered him? 247 says we have (but they also say we have an offer to Norman which, from last I heard, we don’t)

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $313
    Looks like he is coming off knee surgery from last year, but had a really good year this year. Can really finish at the rim. Seems to have a lot of offers, not sure how current they are, but if he makes it to Butler next week........if they lock him up, then that is finally a recruiting win. I really like the kid, and if he didnt just have surgery last year, he may have blown up. big upside

FriarDawg and BHayden like this.
  5. Irishdawg

Money:
    $23
    Not sure how much of a "win" it would be, but he certainly looks like a kid that could play at a Big East level, and he was on a state title winning team. Handles the ball pretty well, finishes well on the interior, can shoot from the outside, but feel like that could be an area of development for him. We'll see what happens.

Daddysmack likes this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,165
    State finals MVP for his team. Interesting that he's unsigned but all of his OV's are mid majors. Wondering if he needs a redshirt year to play at this level.

Daddysmack likes this.
  7. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $313
    Obviously never seen in person but watched video and he sure seems to be able to finish at the rim. Would love to have that. Said he had knee surgery last year, so that could be why his recruiting never picked up.

Either way, interesting player and trust them to evaluate talent.

8. beezer16

beezer16 Member

Money:
    $114
  9. Irishdawg

Money:
    $23
    So obviously his recruitment has been going on awhile if this article was from back in late February. Seems like the kind of kid that would fit right in at Butler, and with the number of multi-positional wings already on this team, he'd have time to develop if he needed it.

10. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188
    Jamarius is the type of guy I would be excited to have. Although not well rated, he seems to be a classic all around player that makes teams better. At 6'5", he just gives us even more versatility at the 2/3 positions. IMO, as long as we have 2 ball handlers and 2 bigs on the roster (which we do), the rest of the team can be filled with 6'4-6'9 versatile wing players. There is a case to be made that his injury his junior season caused him to really fly under the radar and is a big reason why he really isn't rated. Hopefully he makes the visit this weekend.

As many have noted, it seems LaVall and staff want to keep two scholarships open for '19. It seems the latest chatter on here is for Jamarius and Golden, both of which are 18 frosh and would leave us with just 1 scholarship left for 19. In an ideal world we get 1 of Golden/Jamarius and a 1 year grad transfer--that way we fill our roster but also preserve 2 more spots for the 19 class.

BUcheer, estar20dawg and BHayden like this.
  11. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,820
  12. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $198
    It's good to be looking at a few 18 recruits like this. Like mentioned above, LaVall and Co. probably will only take one more 18 recruit as of now. So I'm sure there is a little pressure on Burton and Golden to make their decision sooner rather than later. I would be happy with either.

13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    LJ is looking at Burton this week.

14. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188
    Is that the visit on the 14th or a separate meeting?

15. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,051
    Almost suggests that maybe we dont actually know what the staff is working on.

fdr, #60, BHayden and 6 others like this.
  16. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $443
    I would be perfectly fine with taking both. You never know what next year will bring. If Kamar has an awesome year and tests NBA, someone transfers out, etc. we would still have 2 open spots for 2019 and even if not we get 2 great players to start developing. Both also fill immediate needs.

17. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    I think both would be and will be good players, but if there is even the slightest chance we can get Gillis and Franklin then we need to try to get both of them...

18. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $443
    Are we so sure Gillis and Franklin are better than Golden/Burton? That’s for the coaching staff to decide, but I think Burton is a very similar player to Franklin (both around 6’5, long, athletic combo guards) and it could be argued Golden is maybe as good as Gillis. That’s for the coaching staff to decide, and I’m sure they have much more insight than us who they think has the best chance to pan out at the next level.

Daddysmack likes this.
  19. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $198
    Am I sure? No. But I'd bet a lot of money that Gillis and Franklin are better. They should be a priority if we have any chance with them. Burton is too much of an unknown with Injuries but wouldn't mind having him with his size.

estar20dawg likes this.
  20. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188
    This point about Kamar is a good one. He will clearly be #1 option for us next year. He might demonstrate more comfort at the 1 which is where he would play in the NBA. If Kamar has a good season, I expect him to at least test the waters in what is supposed to be a relatively weak draft compared to this year or last year.