Jamarius Burton - 2018 Guard (Wichita State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Irishdawg, Apr 9, 2018.

1. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,219
    If Davis would have asked for Burton's thinking about choosing a program instead of relying on his preconceptions: He chose Wichita because it's a 'great program that buys in', 'family oriented,' and 'had a plan for me and my knee.' Burton noted in his announcement that he went into each visit with a list of 10-15 questions and a list of wants for each university.

Seems like a very thoughtful young man who was trying to arrive at the best decision for his future. Funny how Davis came to the opposite conclusion without speaking or listening to him once.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,524
    He would have redshirted here and probably has a great chance to see minutes at WSU. Good luck kid. Not disappointed, hoping we're reaching out to Ibi Watson instead.

3. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $442
    We lost. Not a huge lost but his size would have been great for the Big East and would have complimented our other guards. Only reason this stings is because we keep losing to Wichita State. Still think we have a great chance for a great 2019 class.

4. Melvin Goldberg

Melvin Goldberg Member

Money:
    $46
    This is an awful look. The same garbage was floated out when Butler lost on Chance Moore to Wichita State.

Optically it looks like a Keystone Cops routine.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,524
    We have an OV scheduled with a Top 100 PG in less than two weeks. Let's be confident. The staff needs time to build relationships. There is no reason to panic right now.

Tentozen and BHayden like this.
  6. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,039
    I'm not panicking. I won't panic if LJ bombs out and Butler bottoms out. Disappointed, sure, but no panic.

I just think this Summer is important for LJ and Butler so that we don't take a step backwards.

Glengarry Glen Ross: It's time for LJ to start earning some coffee.

peeps112, Dawgedd and bmradio99 like this.
  7. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,219
    Yeah I agree. This sucks because I do believe Burton is a high upside guard with his size and athleticism--he probably wasn't going to make much of a difference this year but he would have learned from an excellent backcourt and filled into Jorgensen's role as a sophomore.

We always point to the conference we are in as a huge selling point and I agree. But Wichita had two important factors that we don't--a head coach that is a big name and immediate playing time. They also have made the tournament consistently so that negates another advantage we often have. Yes, Wichita is a mid major but really in name only--they have facilities, coach, and winning tradition like an average team from a P6 conference.

That said, it still hurts and if this portends how we recruit for the 2019 class we could be in trouble. Lavall was in some sense lucky to come in when he did. He had 2 great players--Kelan and Kamar--that can insulate against a few dry years in recruiting. But if we don't get some high upside recruits to replace them soon, we may be in some trouble.

8. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,431
    [​IMG]

Gonna do a Shelvin Mack and #staypositive.

9. Tedward

Tedward New Member

Money:
    $29
    This cheers me up.

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,524
    Moore & Burton aren't even Top 300 guys on 247. Seriously, does anybody care that we missed on them? They aren't going to beat Villanova or X. He belongs in a mid-major conference.

Look at JGB on our roster. That's the same level of player we're talking about. High school local hero not ready for the Big East. It's scraping the bottom of the barrel of late spring scraps.

Go after the high major transfers available that can learn our system for a year & play at a higher level.

11. Chuck Miller

Chuck Miller New Member

Money:
    $11
    Why is it when we lose a recruit to Wichita we always refer to them as mid major? What does that make us?

12. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,135
    Bottom line is that Burton was going to be a project at Butler, with some upside, that would be buried on the depth chart for a couple years at least.

Wichita State is a bit of a mess right now and he will likely have the opportunity to play early for one of the better coaches in the country.

I dont know why anyone really cares that much about this outcome.

13. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $442
    We are in the Big East. What Conference are they in? Their Program Prestige is higher than most mid majors but they still are considered a Mid Major and we are not.

14. Chuck Miller

Chuck Miller New Member

Money:
    $11
    Maybe because this kid has a high upside?

15. Chuck Miller

Chuck Miller New Member

Money:
    $11
    Sorry do not agree ACC is not mid major

16. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $442
    I mean yeah I dont consider the ACC to be a mid major either ;)

But I agree with what you are trying to say. A-10 and the AAC are not mid majors imo either. Great talent there. Some will say they are though.

17. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,189
    Butler is typically super tight with this info. Woods had been in contact with the HS coach, probably got the drift from him. But go ahead and slam the staff (who would have zero reason to leak it—doesn’t matter in the scheme of things at all.)

DawgPoundMac and fdr like this.
  18. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $348

The AAC is not a mid major

20180420_134630.png

19. SpartanDawgs

Money:
    $442
    I agree with you. Do you believe everything wiki tells you though?

DawgsMD, firedupkaren and Daddysmack like this.
  20. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $348

Obviously. .......

DawgsMD and SpartanDawgs like this.