James Bolden - 2015 Point Guard (WVU)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 2, 2013.

1. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,889
    and I'll add if someone does transfer first and foremost I want Franz Wagner not a grad transfer...

jkcdawgs, #60 and pjohnsto2003 like this.
  2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,663
    I would guess that Gillens-Butler transfers, if anyone does. He’ll be a junior and the third, possibly or fourth, option off the bench at the three position (if David does play some three next year).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $179
    I still love the use of the word creaning, but absolutely agree that I don't want our team to participate. If we have guys that would like to transfer, I wish them the best and will follow their progress, but pushing people out to make room for others should not be on the radar of a team operating with integrity.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,399
    I don’t see anyone leaving including JGB

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,315
    I totally agree the decision should be left up to the individual players. That said it would perfectly reasonable to expect said players to be given a projection of potential playing time based strengths and weaknesses upon completion of the season. I'm sure that LJ will make every effort to forecast as accurately as possible. I would think it is highly debatable if BU may have a defection.

6. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $699
    I was over-recruited before my senior year and given the choice to transfer or give up my basketball scholly. You would think that I'd be the first guy to bash "Creaning", but I'm not. I think when you sign the LOI, you know what you're getting into. If you can't help advance the program (which I wasn't), you don't deserve the spot on the team. The coaches' and the AD's continued employment depends on putting the best 14 players in uniform. In high school you might be on a team as a Sophomore and be cut as a junior. There are no guarantees in sports. I think guys and gals who have played, get it and accept it. PSU, Doc, I know you guys played, what do you think?

nindiana and TheDawgDub95 like this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,315
    Interesting perspective. While I still appreciate BU's policy, I can see it as a business decision since my understanding is that an agreement is renewed annually. While I was not cut, a freshmen replaced me as a varsity wrestler during my junior year. After being on varsity as a sophomore I made the choice to not participate any longer rather than move down to the JV team, so never even tried out. The frosh was that much better.

8. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,889
    Correct, at the end of each year, the coaches sit down with each individual player go over things and what improvements/developments/utilization next season then the coach usually says something nice and look forward to blah blah blah and tell them here is your renewal scholarship contract and have them sign, but there can always be a discussion on especially in other sports that break down scholarship in percentages decide whether or not to increase/decrease or keep the scholarship the same. Normally to decrease the scholarship you need actual paper trail and data to support your decision to the administration why you are choosing to reduce a scholarship in order to justify it.

bu04 likes this.
  9. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,249
    I played football at Butler so no schollys and weren’t even signing letters of intent really at the time, and I got hurt my senior year of HS so at the time was only getting recruited at D3 schools, met with coach and he said yeah we’ll take you, so I don’t really have a good perspective

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,771
    I don’t think you can really be picky. If a spot is open and either wants in you take them without a second thought.

jkcdawgs, bwesson15 and bumba like this.
  11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,162
    Let's be sincere yet honest. If JGB didn't get playing minutes this year at the 3, he's probably not getting them next year when we add two 4's to the roster. There's not enough minutes next year for McD, JT, HB & CD at the 3.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  12. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,889
    Not to mention Hastings whose probably natural position is the 3 but will mostly probably on this team be asked to play the 4

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  13. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,889
    You don't think they can afford to be picky and give one the first crack at it? Just curious why your belief in that vs going after the player as a coach that would make the biggest impact first and foremost. I can't honestly say I watched any of WV this year, but you would give Bolden the spot even if you knew you were in the final 3 for a potential 4 year game changer? For me and this program, you have all your pieces coming back see if you can't hit that home run. That's a 3-0 bases loaded green light to Stanton/Judge/Trout to swing for the fences.

14. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,663
    Exactly what I was getting at, Bumba and estar.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bumba likes this.
  15. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $407
    While it's still not a 'guarantee', I am pretty sure Power 5 schools signed up to require multi-year scholarships. I realise we are not Power 5, but if we had any institutional integrity at all (which Butler loves to brag about having) then we'd follow the same 4-year rule. Or I am wrong about this 4-year thing?

Btw, NCAA should be happy you aren't their PR person. ;) Not sure they'd love your kind of language about sports-based performance. It's definitely the truth, but it ain't the business the NCAA purports to be in, hence divorcing on-court/field performance from scholarships in Power 5. Why the entire NCAA doesn't have this I do not understand. And no, we should not be 'creaning' (love that term as well).

16. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $179
    Has anyone looked at Georgia's roster to see who could be available due to spring creaning?

17. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,889
    The NCAA changed the rules in the past 5 years where they went to single year scholarships but with the understanding that they were still 4 year ones, just required them to sign each year. Unless they changed back in the past year

18. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,771
    Ultimately I don’t know enough about either guy to actually tell you what I would do. The odds of landing both players just seems too unlikely to worry about. I would just try to manipulate the visit schedule so that priority 1a has the chance to commit first.

estar20dawg likes this.
  19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,815
    The odds of landing either are negligible. The odds of both are laughable. Obviously, for Bolden, it would require both a transfer AND for him to pick us over a slew of high major offers when he has essentially zero connection to the current staff (as far as I know). To land Braz requires (a) he doesn’t continue playing in Europe; (b) we have a transfer or he reclassifies; and (c) he picks us over an outstanding coach, program, and school his brother highly recommends AND literally a top 3 academic university in the world. Neither is happening.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,162
    Crean JGB and go after any pass first PG that can also shoot from deep & drive to the rim. It was our biggest deficiency on the roster this year. Pedon recruited JGB, not the current staff. Maybe we can trade him to O$U for cash or draft picks.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.