James Bolden - 2015 Point Guard (WVU)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 2, 2013.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,779
    Considering what JGB has gone thru in his life and the positive role model he is I want him here for all four years. The idea of creaning anyone who wants to be a dawg is not something that I want to see happen at Butler.

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376
    Then offer him a preferred walk on spot if he wants to stay. No one is questioning his choices or the adversity he has over come. With that said, unless something significant changes next year he's still probably running with the scout team.

He had all low major offers coming out of high school. Bolt set him up to fail at this level. That isn't LJ's fault. Not trying to be cold or obtuse about it, but it's reality.

3. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,779
    He most likely can’t afford to pay his own way. Depends on what kind of program and image you want. I don’t want Butler to be anything like Indiana. We have plenty of talent next year and keeping someone on scholarship to play scout minutes is something we can live with.

dawgs2014 likes this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376
    Bolt explained to Jackson Davis he wasn't going to see the court. Davis left for a mid-major because he wanted to get minutes somewhere. It's the same conversation Brandon probably had with Devontae Morgan. Morgan went on to play at a mid-major.

Is there anything wrong with having a truthful conversation with someone who is under qualified for a job? It happens every day in the real world.

5. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,210
    There's nothing wrong with being upfront about a player's projected playing time, in fact I'd say there's something wrong with not being upfront about it. A player making a decision to move on to a mid major based on that conversation is much different than a coach telling a player that their scholarship won't be renewed.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,779
    I’m perfectly fine with having that conversation. I’m not at all supportive of pulling a scholarship to get someone else. I bet LJ would never do that.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  7. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $578
    I guess I don't get what's unclassy about being honest and simply telling a non-contributing player that the school made a mistake in accessing the player's ability to make an impact for the team and the player's scholarship will not be renewed. I can't stress enough that the player "gets it". Wouldn't you feel less respect for your favorite school if they didn't make hard decisions. My guess is neither Holt nor LJ made any promises to recruits other than that each player would get a "fair shot".

bumba likes this.
  8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,947
    It’s not the real world. It’s college basketball (AT BUTLER)). If you aren’t ok with recruiting a kid to Butler who wants to stay and earn a Butler degree even if he isn’t going to play than you need to find another school to root for.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376
    Neither coach I mentioned pulled the scholarship of the player. Maybe people are sensitive to the word "creaned". If there's a better way to describe that process, suggest it please.

I will say that it seems like some of you have never been in management before & had to fire someone. It's never enjoyable, but if it makes your team better then get it over with already. I have no interest in being an 8th place team in the BE next year.

10. Ster8462

Ster8462 Member

Money:
    $125
    And when Crean didn’t renew the scholarship of a few I saw it was what led to the downfall of Crean. Team chemistry is lost and you have 3 kids wondering if they are next to be “Creaned”.

I don’t want Butlerto Crean players.

In corporate America yes you fire people. I’ve been fired and have fired two people.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  11. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Active Member

Money:
    $219
    A better phrase would be "F*cking the player over."

We convinced the player he would be a good fit for our program. He chose our program over other offers he had. He committed to us. In the case of JGB - especially after the entire coaching staff that recruited him left and he stayed committed to us, we owe it to him to stay committed to him.

If, after an honest conversation about his playing time in the future, the player decides to leave - fine. I wish him the best and he will always be a part of the Bulldog Family.

Never been in management? Please. I run a $100+ million dollar company with more than 750 employees operating in 12 states. I have had to terminate plenty of people. This isn't corporate America.

12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    I do agree it has to be on the player’s terms. Absolutely nothing wrong with having the honest convo about potential lack of PT. On the student to make the tough decision.

dawgs2014, BoyGeoff and Insane Dawg like this.
  13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,201
    This appears to be a very divisive issue. There is certainly nothing wrong with having an honest conversation, but I do not want this to become "the apprentice" either. Which not exactly reality either. Not all players are destined to be starters, others may make contributions in practice. While I am not aware of any specifics, if BU were to become a "win at all costs" type of institution would not set well with many fans. The existing framework should provide any player ample opportunity to make an exit if they so desire.

BoyGeoff, Insane Dawg and ButlerNut like this.
  14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376
    Show me another group of individuals representing BU that have the ability to generate revenue for the school like the basketball team.

Do you see corporate sponsorship logos on the basketball court? I do.

Do you see corporate advertising on the sideline electronic billboards? I do.

Do you get contacted by Willis Chaney at Learfield Sports once a year about sponsoring something basketball property related? I do.

They may be athletes, but they impact BU revenue and the business of basketball. Either way, I care about winning games more than money. Put the best athletes on the court and tell the ones who aren't at the high major level either they haven't developed fast enough or we made a mistake recruiting them. It's simply best for both parties if they're never going to play.

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376
    Did Bolt leave at the opportunity to coach a higher profile program? That's who recruited the player. Who said anything in life is fair to begin with?

16. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,201
    Sh*tcan would be my term of choice.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,779
    No one is going to be cut so this is a waste of time.

Tentozen likes this.
  18. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $4,393
    On a completely different tone, speaking of sponsorship in the post above, did anyone else notice that the bulldog logo at half court is 180 degrees from it’s placement the last number of seasons?

It hit me on Tuesday night. Can’t believe I went all season without noticing it.

19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,128
    I'm confused.

20. pjohnsto2003

Money:
    $4,393
    The top of the head used to face east. It now faces west, or toward the player benches.