James Bolden - 2015 Point Guard (WVU)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 2, 2013.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,128
    It hasn't always been like that? Did the TV camera location switch sides? Otherwise, wouldn't it be upside down on TV?

2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    IMG_0092.JPG

Pic of my son from 2017. The cameras must have switched sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

pappyball likes this.
  3. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,210
    I'm really glad I don't work for you.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

knobcreekfan likes this.
  4. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $382
    Not a waste of time. Just another discussion exposing the fraud of college sports. We are talking about players (students) as 'revenue and cost centres' and making equivalence to management in corporate America. If they were truly treated as students we'd only be concerned about their academic performace. Anyway, my stance on this is clear over in the G league thread but it still amazes me how we concuously/subconsciously continue to talk about the contradiction of 'student-athlete'.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15 likes this.
  5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,393
    I can get Bumba’s sentiment. We recently reorganized our company and we essentially ended up playing a game of musical chairs. Slimming down and combining/streamlining certain functions left multiple people without a job.

Hardest conversations I ever had to make in my professional career because it wasn’t even performance-based. To that extent - life is not fair.

bumba likes this.
  6. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,721
    Main camera view has always been on the east side of Hinkle—since, well maybe, forever. Fox definitely has added more angles that might throw the home viewer off—but the bulldog logo has always faced the east—towards the cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

UDDawg likes this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,947
    The point of college basketball is not to teach the kids that life isn’t fair.

JFC

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,161
    Just give it up and move on (everyone). I personally agree with you, that kids shouldn’t be forced out against their will. But ultimately it’s just an opinion. There’s nothing wrong with others thinking differently.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,749
    So... I was an invited walk-on originally before earning a scholarship after I got on the field my last 2 seasons, so just for disclosure I didn’t start out with a scholarship. I was at PSU 05-09.

When I was there, the rule was that scholarships were renewable each year. But Penn State promised a kid 4 years no matter what. Part of the risk the coaches took for mis-evaluating kids. And we had some where I wondered how on earth they got a scholly anywhere. But that was how PSU did it.

Coaches had conversations at the end of each season, and they usually told the brutal truth. Doesn’t mean it was always right. I was told I would never play by the same coach who recruited me and told me I could start as a freshman (which was just ridiculous). I ignored him, started two years and made an NFL training camp...

Point being... if you had looked at me at 18/19/20 (maybe 20 I was ready), you’d think I couldn’t have played at an NAIA school. Sometimes kids just take longer to develop. I know it’s different now since young childhood and HS training is so much more advanced, and basketball is also different, but my concern with pulling scholarships is that you never know how a kid will develop.

On the other hand, kids now have to understand what they are getting into. Coaching is a high-pressure job, and how coaches put food on the table is by winning games, so kids need to understand this that they have to perform so coaches can earn their salaries.

In my job, or any of ours, if I didn’t perform, or if I made bad investments and lost my investors money, I’m out. Such is life. And college is supposed to prepare you for life.

So... I’m not really sure. It’s a really complex issue. But I think I fall under... I don’t like it, but I understand it, and I think coaches should do it because they have to win, and winning in a high-profile sport adds a ton of value to a school. If one or two kids are cut for millions to be made advancing academic programs... I don’t like it, but it has to be done, and such is life.

Bottom line in life... if you don’t add value, you’re out.

10. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $578
    Thanks. I was looking forward to your perspective. As you say, it’s a complex issue.

PSUButlerFan and estar20dawg like this.
  11. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Member

Money:
    $108
    Every once in awhile, I feel the need to just throw out there the fact that the kids on the team are actual human beings... Can't imagine any circumstance under which LJ would pull a college education away from one of his players, let alone one who, for example, grew up living out of his car for awhile and is now solidly ensconced as an exceedingly popular "brother" to his BU teammates. If a player decides to pursue a transfer and scholarship opportunity somewhere else because he wants more playing time, so be it, but if he is loving his Butler experience the same way Jorgensen and Fowler expressed they have loved theirs Tuesday night, he should stay right where he is.

12. EvilOvid

EvilOvid New Member

Money:
    $9
  13. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,779
    I would like to see that kid work his butt off in the off season after his hand heals and play point guard for us.

14. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,376

I don't know if you're arrogant, naive or both, but LJ isn't going to risk his high six figure job on kids that will never make an impact. Those of us who have watched BU for 20+ years know somebody's more than likely going to be invited to leave.

SnoopDawg likes this.
  15. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,426
    I will say LJ may know something we don't as lately the chatter has picked up on us recruiting someone for next year. That's certainly interesting to say at least

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

Hinkle likes this.
  16. GoodDawgs

GoodDawgs Member

Money:
    $108
    Don't ALL coaches EVERY year pave the way for contingency plans like this just in case a current player decides to look for playing time elsewhere?

17. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,947
    History says otherwise.

Brad had Garett Butcher, Alex Anglin, Grant Leinendecker,

Holt had Jackson Aldridge.

They are going to tell the kids the truth about their place in the program but no one is going to be told they don’t have a place in the program. The ultimate decision will up to the kids.

Barry would never allow a player to be “forced out.”

18. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $184
    'Never' becomes a much shorter thing after a few years of last place. Things will be changing around there. The University can't really afford for what amounts to its only marketing vehicle to become a lemon.

bumba likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,779
    It won’t become a lemon. If every returnee improves just marginally and by that I mean 5-10% we will be at no worse than middle of the BE.

20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $1,947
    While you worry about last place, here’s what I’ll be thinking about:

Next year we return 79.26% of our conference minutes. If Nze starts, he will be displacing a returning starter in Tucker and have 3 other starters who average 3 years starting who on average are in their third year starting. If Tucker starts, it’s the same thing. (If Tucker starts over Sean with Nze we’re a top 10 team) We’ll still likely only start 2 seniors.

The following year we have 38.52% of THIS YEAR’S conference minutes returning and will return most of next year’s starters too. We’ll have a 4 yr starter at pg, Battle at 2, a second or third year starter in Tucker at the 3, Nze at the 4, and third year starter Brunk at 5. We’ll have CD on the wing off the bench (who should be REALLY good by then), a third year Golden, a third year Hastings and Hopefully a couple mins from Mulloy.

Now for additions:

next year we add a likely 2 year starter while losing none, and another guy who almost certainly will contribute next year and start by his sophomore year. We also add two projects in Hastings and Mulloy, who we will ask nothing of next season, giving them a chance to adjust at their own pace. There’s also the chance that we add a guy.

The following season we will add at least 3 guys, none of whom we will need to contribute right away, but all of whom will likely be given the opportunity to do so.

I wouldn’t trust you to be able to count to 10, but even you, Title, could coach those teams to the NCAA tournament.

godogs91 and Hinkle like this.