James Bolden - 2015 Point Guard (WVU)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 2, 2013.

1. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,149
    Why do you confuse Title with facts and statistics and optimism? It goes against everything Title stands for! ;)

2. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,815
    It's like an SNL skit.

3. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Sometimes SNL is enjoyable and sometimes people like SNL skits.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,162
    If anyone thinks finishing last in the BE doesn't give BC & LJ heartburn, I'd probably disagree. Our staff more than likely didn't mysteriously reach out to 2019 recruit just to say hi.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,399
    For conversation purposes-

Is Nze that good and why do you think that he will get us to Top 10 along with Tucker over Sean?

You think AT is talented enough PG to lead a Top 10 team?

UDDawg and bumba like this.
  6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,399
    I don’t know how they feel about this past season but both having played competitively in college I would imagine they aren’t satisfied. As for going forward I feel we are desperate for an experienced point guard. Will that come from an opening as a result of a transfer or will we limp along another year with what we have is the big question? Unless the 2019 freshman is a top 50 player I don’t see any benefit.

bumba likes this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,815
    valid.

8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,162
    We currently have a point guard with a broken outside jump shot. I think the need is somewhat visible. The question becomes who is BU going to get in the last minute spring recruiting season when high major talent is low & demand can be high.

That's why I think Bolden would be a nice fit if his ankle injury isn't serious. He could give us one year of 2019 leadership and doesn't impact the playing time a 2020 PG might get.

9. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    I’m not saying we are a top ten team next year, I’m saying that if Tucker and Nze are both good enough to start over Sean I think we will be.

I have no idea how good Nze is but he fits a dire, dire, need. He was a BIG TIME rebounder and shot blocker and shot efficiently from the floor. At 6’7 he has legit size to play the 4. Rebounding and shot blocking are signs of athleticism so having guard 3-5 is a possibility in screen situations too.

The reason I think we are a top ten team of Tucker starts over Sean along with Nze is because it means Nze is good enough to start. That alone is a win.

I also think Sean is way, way ahead of Tucker in teams of intangibles and defense at this point. I probably would take Sean’s offense too. While Tucker’s ceiling is much higher, he has a long ways to go to close the gap on Sean imo. If he’s able to close that gap on Sean, it means he’s improved substantially, and a substantial improvement from Tucker will help everyone else IMMENSELY on both offense and defense. If Sean is the worst of Nze/Tucker/McD, it means we’re starting a REALLY good pair of forwards.

As far as Thompson leading a top ten team, he’s not skilled enough right now, but I think he will be with another summer of skill development. I expect another big leap. The talent is there, he just has to realize it. I’m not saying he’s the reason we would be a top ten team (that would be Baldwin and Tucker), but he will not be a liability either imo.

10. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $699
    Do you think James Bolden gets notifications whenever his name is posted and now thinks he’s the most popular person in Indiana????

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,399
    Got it. Agree with your thoughts completely. I too hope Nze is a starter at the four next year because we just can’t go with Sean and Tucker as our two wings unless one of them gets bulkier. I think it’s possible that Golden is going to take a giant leap. He already has actually. I think he has the size, toughness and quickness to be a difference maker.

Watch AT when he shoots a free throw. He cradles the ball underneath versus on the side. I tried shooting that way in the driveway and it was incredibly clumsy. Try it sometime. Why his coaches haven’t worked with him to change that is a head scratcher to me. Unless he changes I don’t see how he can make a big leap. Maybe if he bulks up and drives more but without changing that form I can’t see it. Just my opinion.

12. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,015
    My impression of Nze in practice is that he has a physical presence and more importantly a steadfast/mature awareness that was missing from this season. I see him as a steadying influence a la Big Cat and Chrabby.

I’m hoping to see a ton of Jimmy photos of AT working out with Joey Burton in the off season.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,399
    Who is Joey Burton?

14. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,303
    I think he's the shot doctor that Martin snd Wideman worked with.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Skills trainer. A really good one. Works with a lot of Butler and Purdue guys especially those preparing to go pro.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  16. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,914
    Top ten? I'd be happy with top 30, which would put us right in the middle of the BE. We are at least 3 new starters from a top ten team with current starters providing a deep bench.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba likes this.
  17. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,032
    Some of you people are nuts. Have you watched us play this year? The difference between where this team is now and a good team is closer to a canyon than a creek. Our staff has shown no indication they aren’t the worst in the conference, and Chris Mullin coaches in our league ffs. It would be an enormous achievement to squeak into the tournament next year. The problem is, we HAVE to or else the snowball downhill gets exponentially bigger toward a fall and crash into nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba likes this.
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,162
    Agree, we're not really close to a Top 30 team right now. Mid-major guys like Baddeley, JGB, PJ and Fowler would need to be replaced with Top 100 recruits over the next two classes for us to get back there. If (when) a spot opens up on the roster, we need to hit the high major grad transfer market hard in the next 60 days.

19. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    We were projected to finish like 35 at the start of the season in kenpom. We are very close to a top 30 team.

20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,162
    No, we're really not. Kenpom uses AP preseason rankings from the start of the season to help figure out roughly the first two months of rankings. That has nothing to do with actual performance. Another reason why metrics suck (beyond people don't understand how they work).

We're currently #61 in Kenpom. That's an at-large non-qualifier for the NIT or March Madness.