James Graham III - 2021 Forward (Offered)

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by UDDawg, May 24, 2020.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202

bumba and estar20dawg like this.
  2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,005
    Dude's got a pretty good offer list of HMs...glad we jumped on it. I like length that can shoot.

4. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,191
    Hopefully Lowery's WI connections can pay off here.

5. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,102
    Butler has been recruiting him for a while. This offer was inevitable, in my opinion, was just a matter of time before it was issued. I really like him as a prospect - legit 6'8" with long arms, can efficiently shoot it from deep, very versatile. He's a 2-3 at his size by position.

SnoopDawg and BHayden like this.
  6. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,099
    Looks like a true stretch Power 4, good inside touch and can really shoot it from deep.

7. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,102
    He doesn't like the power forward label haha (and I don't think it truly suits him either). I view him as a multipositional talent that will spend the vast majority of his time at the 3.

BHayden and estar20dawg like this.
  8. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,102
    I should have an interview with Graham published on Patreon later tonight (will be free to read).

BHayden, jkcdawgs and cornette33 like this.
  9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,731
    Kid looks great. Reminds me of the lanky wing from UNC who went off against us in the NCAAT game a few years ago. Justin Jackson?

Not quite as talented, but this kid looks like a great college 3 that can defend 3-5. If he shoots well and develops, with that size, he has NBA potential.

Would love to get him.

10. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,102
    As already discussed in the recruiting thread, Butler offered James Graham III out of Nicolet HS (WI) earlier today. I had the chance to talk with him over the phone this afternoon and here is my piece (free) on him, including his thoughts on the offer and his recruitment.

Link to Article with James Graham III

BoyGeoff likes this.
  11. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,309
    @Lukas Harkins great article. At the end he said he wanted to play fast and shoot within 10sec. Was that Butler last yr? I think that was more the previous yr with Jorgs.

12. BHayden

BHayden Well-Known Member

Money:
    $536
    Pretty excited about this one. Seems like he is thrilled about getting the offer and I like the idea of the staff playing “hard to get” at this point by really waiting and making the players “earn” the offers. Also seems like he’s extremely self-motivated from the interview. Great article Lukas!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,510
    LaVall and Co are looking to assemble some dangerous teams.

I had initially been subscribing to the idea that we wanted one versatile forward (Joplin, Hughes) with length and one wing with more of a shooting skill set (Poulakidas, Barnhizer), but if Graham can provide somewhat of a hybrid that becomes pretty attractive. Gives the staff the flexibility to hold a scholarship or also double down on one of the other guys (I'd love for the last two to be Graham and Joplin).

14. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,102
    Glad you guys like the piece.

As far as tempo goes, Butler has ranked in the slower-half of the nation in each of three seasons under Coach Jordan - averaging possessions lasting ~18.5 seconds each. Additionally, Milwaukee was quite slow under his leadership and so was Michigan when he was an assistant there. LaVall wants to be able to push more but I think that is mostly him wanting his guards to be opportunistic (and AT is very intelligent when picking when to push). If there's a chance in transition to score quick, go for it and attack, otherwise pull out and run a set for a look (or Kamar doing his thing :p). I definitely wouldn't classify Butler as a "fast" team but the offensive scheme is more versatile than people give it credit for (something Graham also cites in a school). Butler has been exhibited better adjusted offensive efficiency rankings than defensive in each of LJ's head coaching seasons (though that probably doesn't happen this season w/o AT and CD getting hurt) with two of those years finishing in the Top 25 of the nation in AdjO.

cornette33 likes this.
  15. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,861
    This offer builds on the clear desire of LaVall to get switchy type guys that present all kinds of match up problems for opponents. The degree to which it seems like every offer is switchy seems notable bc we have largely not had these types of players in the past (obviously there are exceptions). I love it and this is line with the more ‘position-less’ game.

I have a couple questions from this—I wonder whether LaVall and company stand out compared to other programs in recruiting these types of players? Obviously teams target these players but are we unique in the number of switchy type players we are targeting? I wonder also if there are simply more versatile players available than say 5 or 10 years ago due player training?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,806
    Dawgsdd I think you are right. LJ seems to be moving away from the Brunk/Fowler type fortunately and more toward interchangeable types.

cornette33 likes this.
  17. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,313
    I definitely think training is pushing towards making bigs more versatile. The game is moving that direction from the NBA down. Any one who wants to play professionally essentially has to have three point range.

18. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $3,102
    Marquette offer today.

19. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,383
    When LaVall first came in, we were hearing the under 8, then great, and late mantra. My gut tells me it was personnel and team makeup that kind of pushed us into "the late" scenario so often (and, once again, thank you Kamar, btw). I think having a roster full of guys who can put it on the floor and pressure the D will open up more early opportunities at the rim and for kicks off of drives.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

cornette33 likes this.
  20. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,246
    I see a Saddiq Bey type.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops