Jaxson Hayes - 2018 Power Forward (Texas)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,868
    Jaxson Hayes
    2018 Power Forward - 6'9" 195 lbs
    Archbishop Moeller High School - Cincinnati, Ohio
    AAU: 22 Vision

[​IMG]

Needs Adopted: Find out how!

2. Mr X

Mr X Super Moderator

Money:
    $196

Safe to say the New Castle pipeline has officially turned into the Moeller pipeline.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,878
    Can't find anything about this guy other than a football recruiting page... don't like that..

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BHayden and jkcdawgs like this.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,235
    I just found this:

5. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,961
    Holt is gonna get Urban to offer him.

6. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,868
    Looks like got a bunch of mid major offers after the last live period. No elite mid majors or anything though. We will see if other HM offers follow.

7. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,188
    I do like his frame--6'9" 195. The optimistic take is that Lavall saw something and is ahead of the curve. Broader question is whether this suggest Lavall will take more long shots or this is a function of being so behind for 2018.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,447
    At least he is willing to dunk the ball.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    I believe Hayes was at the Creighton game this past season along with another kid from Moeller. I know this because I talked to the other kid's dad and he said Butler was interested in both of them. At the time I didn't know who they were but one was very tall and thin and looked like this kid.

What I like from the above video and another you tube video is his height and his athleticism. His upside has to be great. Remember Patton from Creighton was unranked to.

10. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    Well I stand corrected. I thought he redshirted and didn't have many offers.

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    I could see Hayes red shirting behind Brunk and Fowler.

12. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    Love the size and athleticism. Will have to gain weight. The lack of HM offers is puzzling. Kid is legit 6'10". Hopefully this is another Kamar, smith, rose, woods, veasley, mack, van zant, hayward, Nored, Campbell, green, graves, monserez or Jackson type player who is clearly a top flight HM talent but other teams are too inept to realize it.

We have had a long history of highlighting the inability of other programs in evaluating talent.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    We have had fair success with a couple of Moeller kids.

14. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,191
    Verbal commits shows a South Alabama offer....Graves giving us another recruit like Kamar?

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jaxson-hayes

15. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188
    I am concerned about not being ranked on the likes of 247 (which has approx 700 profiles for 2018). But surely this kid is top 700, right? I would think any 6'10" athletic guy who can finish at the rim and defend should be on that list. It makes me wonder why he isn't listed: Did he grow 5 inches in the last year? Was he not on an aau team with with exposure? After watching videos jaxson can dunk and is athletic (but I have no clue whether he can shoot or drive). Any info on whether he can shoot? His frame screams stretch 5 on offense (pending development of 3 ball and his comfort in pick and roll) while rim protecter on d.

16. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188

I did find a video of Jaxson making a 3. Granted it's just one, but it indicates he has the ability to knock them down. If this is indeed indicative of his abilities, then I feel a lot more comfortable with him. I am still baffled why no 247 profile with his size, athletisicm, and ability to knock down open 3s. It would be interesting to hear from people that work at the the rankings sites whether they have heard of him and if so, why he isn't considered worthy of ranking.

http://www.maxpreps.com/high-school...?videoid=88b41ce7-ac5c-485e-86aa-d3fcf4375c0f

17. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188
    Listed on 247 site for football at 6'6" (http://247sports.com/player/jaxson-hayes-46035445). Maybe one reason he is a bit under the radar because he had a late growth spurt (now he is listed at 6,9 6,10)? He has a 7'1" wingspan meaning he should have the ability to be a good rim protector.

This page shows his stats for 2017 AAU ball (http://www.prepcircuit.com/roster_players/17878894). Not really impressive (and perhaps is the reason for his low ranking). He played few minutes ( 15 mpg), 6.2 ppg on 12-20 shooting and 7-8 from the line (0-2 on 3s for the season--this suggests that 3s are not a part of his game--so I think the example of him making a 3 in my previous post suggests he can make them but as of now it's not part of his game. I would hope that LaVall and staff sees this as an area of focus), 4.8 rpg, 0.4 bpg, 0.8apg. You could argue however that if he played better minutes (say 30) his numbers would be more respectable: 12 points, 9 rebounds, and 1 block.

18. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188
    This is an interesting tidbit:

Best “gotta see more of him”
    : Keep your ears peeled on Twenty Two Vision big man Jaxson Hayes. The long and lean big man from Cincinnati Moeller is showing flashes of a quality late-blooming post player. He said he holds an offer from Middle Tennessee State - a good sign of a sleeper - and inters from Kansas and Baylor. His high school team went 28-1 on the year.

http://www.hoopseen.com/news/event/201704/big-dogs-shine-saturday-adidas-gauntlet

joliebeth23 likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    I stood next to him at the Creighton game and thought he was tall but not 6' 10. Maybe more like 6'8. I see a late bloomer with tremendous upside. We have three slots for next year. He would be an ideal redshirt giving him his senior year and freshman year to develop and fill out. Would be in a position behind Brunk after Fowler graduates. The kid is smooth and coordinated around the basket and does something Fowler doesn't do - dunks the ball. Based on his height, agility, jumping ability, quickness and upside I like this one a lot.

20. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,188
    I like the idea of a redshirt, especially if he is a late bloomer and would benefit from a year of development (become a long, athletic, 3 point threat!). I would try to develop him to play a different style than when Brunk is on the floor. Presumably, when Brunk is on the floor, we would play a more traditional lineup with Brunk posting up on the low block (similar to Wideman). With Jaxson, I would like to see him out on the perimeter and in pick and roll sets--a spread offense more in line with how basketball is changing to a game that is more perimeter oriented that is heavy on pick and rolls, and prioritizes long athletic players (like Jaxson) who can finish at the rim, knock down 3s, and defend the rim.

While I do have a little concern due to the lack of rankings, I ultimately think LaVall is ahead of the curve here. If we are to target unranked guys, Jaxson is exactly the type of guy we should be after because he has the most upside (long and athletic).

Jared Grubbs likes this.