Jerald Butler - 2017 Guard (Elon)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 25, 2016.

1. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,606
    Wait, what is this referring to?

mwall787 likes this.
  2. dippper61

dippper61 Member

Money:
    $117
    The team trainer was replaced midseason. Lets just say that unless he stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before he ran his mouth about something he doesn’t know anything about, was put in his place, cried about it and then his family complained.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,967
    If he was good enough, I think he would have gotten minutes. He did receive over $100,000 worth of free education from a D1 BE school for basically riding the pine. You are indeed blessed, ma’am.

bumba likes this.
  4. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $414
    He got a lot of minutes at the beginning of the year. He showed with his on court performance he was not worthy of those minutes. Therefore, he played less. Then was injured. Nothing to see here.

Instead, folks have complained all year about his lack of talent. Many hoped he would transfer - with several suggesting we Crean him. The kid decides to transfer and people's first thought is that this proves LJ sucks as a coach.

bumba likes this.
  5. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    With due respect, we can probably stop being nice since Mom took the gloves off. He was never D1 to begin with, arrived on campus fat and wasn't prepared to play high major basketball. His jump shot never really developed even after losing weight and getting the opportunity for minutes at the beginning of his sophomore. He rode the bench as we all expected.

He would do just fine at a D2 school.

Tentozen likes this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    There is an enormous difference between a big east player and a d2 player. JGB fits in the category of in between and that’s all that really needs to be said about his playing abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

NCJon and mwall787 like this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    It’s always good to be nice.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  8. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $518
    Have to agree I don't necessarily think he's a D2 player just because he couldn't get minutes here. He played on one of Florida's biggest AAU teams and I'm sure is well known down there. He'll get plenty of looks from low-major D1 teams in the southeast where he'll be able to get rotational minutes.

With that said there isn't exactly a big talent difference between low D1 and good D2.

9. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $871
    Ryan Galloy or something like that pronouncing? The guy with the beard at the end of the bench?

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    Sure it is. It's also nice to be realistic, which is why many of us had never heard of him when he got offered and no one was shocked when he chose BU over Florida Atlantic and Rutgers.

JGB should have never been offered. It's the same reason why we shouldn't offer low major transfers. If they can't compete against the Big East, don't waste the scholie. What if we had his scholie open last fall to sign another Top 100 2019? The optimism for next season would be totally different than it is now.

11. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    You wrote this above- “we can stop being nice since mom took the gloves off”.

Is that necessary? This woman was incarcerated, her husband abandoned her and she and her son were homeless. He had offers from VT, Vanderbilt, TCU, Temple, Rutgers and was extremely excited to accept Butler. I’m offended by trashing this kid or his mother no matter what she said.

12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
    My basketball opinion has nothing to do with her bad judgement or decisions in the past. Don't take it that way.

Her son wasn't a D1 player. There is no known D1 interest in him right now correct? This wasn't a major recruiting battle we won based on high demand for JGB. Reread the thread. No one knew who he was.

13. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $104
    We all have choices in life. It appears this woman has repeatedly made poor ones, and done her son no favors in the process. Best of luck to JGB. The mom can go pound sand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bumba and willisbrown like this.
  14. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,653
    I recognize that it is only a vocal few, but I don't understand why anyone on this board feels the need to respond aggressively (and even attack) JGB's mother and speak critically of JGB's abilities at this point. It didn't work out for him; that is regrettable, and everyone on this forum needs to move on. I suspect all parties are disappointed -- I know I would be too, if I was in their shoes. JGB's mother expressed disappointment in the situation and her belief in her son's abilities. She may be off target or on-target in her views. It doesn't matter. Her reaction (disappointment/maybe some bitterness) could be expected; she is only being a Mom. For Butler fans to attack her ("this woman has repeatedly made poor ones [decisions]"; "we can probably stop being nice since Mom took the gloves off." "Nothing like a mother going all ghetto speak") or criticize JGB ("He was never D1 to begin with") is totally classless. I am highly embarrassed that members of the Butler community would say these things. There is nothing to be gained and potentially something to be lost by making these types of derogatory comments on a public forum.

JGB conducted himself with nothing but class during his two years in Indy and in how he announced his departure. In my opinion everyone in the Butler fanbase (and on this forum) should show the same level of class to him and his family. (And personally, I hope that JGB's mother's assessment of his talents are spot on and he makes us all regret that he left Butler.)

15. tlp63

tlp63 Member

Money:
    $109
    Thank you.

16. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,871
    Cheers to you.

godogs91 and DawgPoundMac like this.
  17. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,871
    Probably time for you to take a break from the computer. This is such a trash post that makes us all look bad.

18. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,943
    Yeah, I want more on this. Apparently this story went under the radar during this ****show season. Gulloy is no listed as basketball trainer. Hmm...now I wonder what happened. Totally missed the changing of the guard. Not sure how that happened.

19. BulldogsFTW

BulldogsFTW Active Member

Money:
    $201
    Second this. What happened here and how did we all miss it?

20. BU_NeonHat

BU_NeonHat Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,262
    LinkedIn has Galloy at Greenfield Central High School/Hancock Regional Hospital as of February 2019