Jerald Butler - 2017 Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $14,032
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,976
    Offered Jerald Butler pg from Florida. Anyone know anything about him?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    I'll be completely honest, he wasn't even on my radar as possible options. This is the 1st I'm hearing of him. 0 previous posts referencing him on this board. I'm just now digging up info on him.

4. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,976
    On you tube he looks like a big boy with hops.

5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032

"Why did he jump?"

6. thebulldogs

thebulldogs Active Member

Money:
    $123
    Wow this came out of left field. I remember him being mentioned a couple months ago, but just assumed things had died. I was (and still am) intrigued by his game, but with our seemingly good position with the other PG's, this move is a tad confusing to me. Unless they see him more of a wing or plan on taking two guards.

Mid-July tweet said he wanted to take officials to WV, Vandy, and VA Tech. Recent offers from Temple and TCU.

7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,976
    No jump shot highlights. But he does have a floater.

8. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $352
    that dude is a grown ass man. Can never have too much beef in the BigEast

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $14,032
    He said he is working with the staff to schedule a visit to Butler as soon as possible.

10. MBA2003

MBA2003 Active Member

Money:
    $647
    Hell Yeah. Slick passer who likes to mix it up inside with the bigs. Other team's players, "Uh, that's your point guard?" All Day.

Go Dawgs!

11. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $180
  12. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,286
    He's deceptively quick on his feet. And he's built like a freakin' tank.

Interesting perspect. An awful lot like Rosey...

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,450
    I hope this offer is a sign that this staff really wants multiple PGs in this class and not a sign about how they feel with those who have been offered.

I'm pretty confident it's the former.

14. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,286
    Last name is perfect, reminds me a ton of Rosey, beatable list, etc.

This is destiny.

15. BulldogTJN

BulldogTJN New Member

Money:
    $5
    Has highlights of Butler interspersed throughout. High school semi-final game vs. Chaundee Brown (247 #44 in '17)

Thoughts:
    - Dude is built like a truck and gets to the rack.
    - Sneaky athleticism. Go to around 5:50 to see his putback over two people.
    - Has a jumpshot! @ 2:44 he hits a three.
    - He does get beat by Brown on defense once, but got a nice steal and conversion later in the game.

In case people were wondering, Butler's team lost the championship game. Writeup on the game here:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/high-school/prep-broward/article62569092.html

Butler had 19 points in the title game, 18 in the first half. The article mentions how the other team was able to limit him in the second half by extending their zone defense (which sounds similar to how teams could stop Rose). Also, checkout Butler's quote at the end of the article:

"Butler said after the game he would take on more of a leadership role as he tries to lead Westminster back to state.

'I have to learn how to finish games better,” Butler said. 'I’m going to get on people to work all the time and get in the gym to get better and make it back here. That’s all that will be on our minds next year.'”

Have to like the fire.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2016
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,976
    Who would you rather have playing in the Big East- Bede or Butler? I'd take Butler. Size does matter.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,450
    So does skill and quickness, especially at the PG position. Without question I'd rather have Bede, and so would 99.9% of programs. But ideally we get both.

18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $9,976
    So you are saying Bede is quicker and more skilled than Butler and that trumps 5-6" in height. What I like about Butler that I haven't seen in highlight videos of Bede is ability to go over people and can get to the bucket with either hand from either side and finish. I like a guy that can not be taken down low and can see over the top of his defender.

19. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Active Member

Money:
    $3,398
    this is a silly debate. they are both #good. and if we have have both that would be great.

edit: Jared's post on the front page indicates that Butler shot over 40% from 3. I would hesitate to say that he has zero outside shot.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,450
    I'm pretty confident that he's quicker and more skilled than Butler and I think those things are more important than being 6-4 for PGs.