Joey Brunk - 2016 Center (Indiana)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, May 10, 2013.

1. halftime_floor_sweeper

halftime_floor_sweeper Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,218
    "To be fair, it is different. I agree with the negativity regarding Brunk's recruitment. I fail to see any reason he wasn't offered months ago."

Name a single back to the basket post player the current coaching staff has offered. At this point they obviously don't believe Brunk brings the versatile skill set they are looking for in big men. I guess maybe Butler should offer based on Xavier's system ? Gee I hope I am being "fair". As-an-aside remind us when your premium player evaluation service is launched, I am positive college coaches from around the nation will be willing to fork over thousands of dollars for a subscription.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. butler04

butler04 New Member

Money:
    $5
    Haha...My God man...settle down a little. Questioning something doesn't mean I know better, it means I fail to see the reasoning. Your point of maybe he doesn't fit what Brandon wants is valid. Obviously there is a reason, and maybe that's it. However, in my opinion, they should have offered by now a very talented local kid who had great things to say about Butler. Instead the whole Midwest has offered, and the ship has probably sailed.

As for recruiting like Xavier...well maybe that's not such a bad thing. Butler and Xavier's philosophies seem to be, or perceived to be, on opposite ends of the spectrum. Maybe the perfect place should be somewhere in the middle. They are obviously seeing far greater success than BU is recruiting, which will more than likely result into far great success on the court as well.

Now I'll go back and just read the posts instead of commenting because it is extremely difficult to disagree with anything the staff does and not come across as I know better than the staff...hopefully this post doesn't piss you off as bad as the last one evidently did.

3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User

Money:
    $1,899
    It's already been discussed with why they haven't offered Brunk. The coaching staff feels that Fowler will fill the same role as Brunk would. It's okay to disagree or agree with it.

Also, a Xavier offer really just means they have interest in a player, with certain exceptions. Most of the time they wouldn't be willing to accept a player (unless they were their top choice or two at a position) upon "offering" them, while it appears that once Butler offers a player they're willing to accept them on the team immediately at that time.

Finally, fwiw, Butler's and Xavier's defensive systems are pretty similar. Offensively they're different, but I think that's got more to do with the personnel each team has in place.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Random thoughts- Perhaps Miller et al promised Fowler that they would not offer another 5 over the first two years. Perhaps Miller et al has gone " all in" like some suggested we do on players like Guy, Pritchard and Moyer. To me Xavier offers anyone and everyone and then filters them out later vs. Butler filters them first and prefers a visit before offering.

I too think somewhere in the middle is better. Another thought - maybe Miller et al are clueless.

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Apparently Xavier is comfortable with telling recruits " we were just kidding- it wasn't really an offer offer it was more like we might have made a offer offer."

6. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,116
    Nah, keep posting. There are a few that will litter you with anger when you get on the staff for anything, but that's what makes it fun. People disagree all the time and that's why we have these things. Trust me, HFS dumps on me all the time. At first I was agitated by it, but now I giggle and keep on trucking. You should do the same. This staff is still unproven and coming off a dreadful season. Questioning them is appropriate and it creates discussion. Don't worry if you get lambasted by someone here or there. In fact, keep driving that nail in for entertainment.

7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,286
    If you're going to make a promise of playing time/not to over recruit someone to secure their verbal commit, you make it to a McD AA; not somebody who's ranked 200ish in the Nation... Do we make promises of playing time or starting when we recruit? Bc saying we won't recruit someone else at your is basically the same thing as that...

8. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,116
    I was going to tell you to change your signature with the news earlier. Very exciting news. It is indeed all happening. Finally.

We need a Cubs thread around here, Mods. Do it.

9. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,009
    Gross. That might make me reconsider logging on here ever again :D But in all seriousness, if the Cubs don't win a world series within the next 5-7 years, they will truly be cursed. Crazy talent coming up in the future, starting now.

10. Alcohol101

Alcohol101 Active Member

Money:
    $382
    I can't imagine we would do anything like that. It makes zero sense as it doesn't allow for competition for playing time. I have no idea why they haven't offered him either, but I would think there is a reason for it. I'm not going to get too upset by it, since I don't know anything substantial about his recruitment, and I would hope that most people are not actually that disturbed by the lack of an offer.

Also, I'm guessing that Xavier has had better recruits than us for the last 20 years. I am assuming that it is going to take more than a year or 2 in the same conference before we can recruit at the same level or above them. I guess we'll find out soon enough for the 2015 class, if we add to it, and for sure the 2016 class. Miller will have 3 years in recruiting those kids, so it should be more of an accurate gauge of his recruiting abilities. Plus the renovations will be finished by then, which should help too.

11. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218
    "There are a few that will litter you with anger when you get on the staff for anything,"

Anger ?????? More like bemused head shaking.

12. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    I concur with UDDawg, that sounds gross. But as a Reds fan, I think it would be humorous as well.

Not to derail the thread too much, but I agree the Cubs have a very exciting farm system. A Castro, Russell, Baez, Rizzo infield. And a Bryant, Almora, Soler outfield is pretty damn good. There is a glaring weakness of pitching prospects in their system however. Just food for thought.

And for you Cubs fans, I thought this was hilarious: http://www.chicagonow.com/john-jack...cult-of-cubs-fans-blindly-drink-the-kool-aid/

Back to Bunk, it sucks that he hasn't been offered. You can never have enough skilled centers. I guess you can take his non-offer in one of two ways: 1.) The staff are incompetent window-lickers 2.) The staff has a tremendous amount of confidence in Fowler. I definitely hope they do have that much confidence in Fowler, and that they are correct.

13. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,352
    Ari Kasle ‏@AKasle_BU 2h
    I really don't understand how Joey Brunk is considered to be a top 100 HS player.

-----------

Interesting......

14. budawgs13

budawgs13 Member

Money:
    $5
    There is a lack of pitching prospects, but they have only $31 million in salary for next season. Additionally, they don't need position player free agents for 5+ years. That means they can spend about $100 million on arms. What they have + $100 million worth of arms is a really, really, really good team in 3 years at most.

15. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,659
    I love the content Ari puts out, but he isn't a talent scout.

16. BGDawgFan

BGDawgFan Active Member

Money:
    $124
    This says more about Ari than it does about Brunk.

17. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218

I don't know he is roughly the same size as Hayward and has about 30% of Gordon's Freshman skill set. He's a good ball player but I don't think he should be Top 100 either.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,009
    Same size as Hayward...? Brunk is 6'10 and at least 215. And he's a center. The two are barely comparable at all.

19. butler04

butler04 New Member

Money:
    $5
    I believe your quote was, " As-an-aside remind us when your premium player evaluation service is launched, I am positive college coaches from around the nation will be willing to fork over thousands of dollars for a subscription."

You're hilarious. You bash me for doing the same thing you just did...too funny. The fact that you compared 2 kids just because they're the same size shows your lack of knowledge and understanding of the game. Kevin Durant is roughly the same height as Duncan. I guess they should play exactly the same and be compared to one another.

As for Ari. I'm sure if BU was 'all-in' on Brunk, he'd be singing the praises of Brunk instead of trying to rationalize their inactivity.

20. halftime_floor_sweeper

Money:
    $4,218

Really 6' 8.5" and 6' 10" are barely comparable ? Yeah I know Brunk is a center, and he also lacks the skills to do anything else. What exactly is your point again ?