Joey Burton

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Hinkle Nation, May 2, 2019.

1. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    So I’ve been seeing a lot of guys go to Joey for individual work on their game. Many Purdue guys Kline, Edwards and others. All the local teams have players going to him. Now before u all yell at me for saying our assistants are fine I personally would like to see the old guy “retire” also I’m ehhh on Kampen.
    With that being said I think adding Joey Burton to butler staff would be unbelievable. With his reputation as a guy who can develop players game, I think it would help with guys like Thompson( who is is already working with) but imagine a full time job with all butler guys? You couldn’t beat that. I’m not saying we need to fire any assistants but rather just saying we should add him. Whether that means fire someone or just put another chair on the sideline I think it would benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,071
    He'd be a great addition, but I doubt he wants to get back into coaching in that way. He's developed a really nice - and increasingly lucrative - niche as a player consultant.

joliebeth23, Sidd Finch, #60 and 3 others like this.
  3. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $392
    I wonder if that would be a pay cut for Joey to give up what he is presently doing.

#60 and Hinkle Nation like this.
  4. nicklas_early

nicklas_early Member

Money:
    $184
    I’ve often wondered why he isn’t coaching. He seems to have a great reputation.

Hinkle Nation likes this.
  5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,890
    He would literally be taking a huge pay cut as well as adding responsibilities he probably doesn't want and time spend doing things he doesn't want. Admin stuff that he for sure doesn't want.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    joliebeth23, Sidd Finch and seadawg like this.
  6. Hinkle Nation

Money:
    $483
    Never know unless you personally know him? Individual training is great and he has made great $ im sure. He could also want to be apart of college basketball and why not be apart of it at butler

7. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,513
    He's already "a part" of college basketball, though, in a sense. And pro, too. I'm pretty sure he worked with Glenn Robinson III when he was still with the Pacers.

joliebeth23 and estar20dawg like this.
  8. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,890
    That's true, but as someone who has worked in D1 athletic departments, there is a ton of unsavory things that have nothing to do with coaching and basketball you have to deal with. And for someone who has such a dedicated craft, I'd imagine he is plenty happy where he is. You never do know. Just giving personal expertise that unless he really wanted to coach there is no way he would take on all the extra crap.

9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I cannot envision a situation (assuming comparable pay) where you’d want to be a d1 coach more than doing his current job unless you really, really like convincing kids that going to class is important.

He has no pressure, no stress, can take a vacation anytime he wants, more growth potential, more freedom, and can focus exclusively on basketball, likely while making more than he’d make as a coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

10. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    With EFG and main court (for some of the summer) off limits, I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of BU players working out with Joey Burton in the months ahead.

11. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $381
    Also, the players have limited access to individual workouts with coaches during the off season, correct? If that's the case, our guys benefit more from Burton not being on the staff vs. him being on it.

12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Correct-and there are limits on the number of players that can be with a coach at once during the off-season.

Mad_Dawg 48 and estar20dawg like this.
  13. Bulldogs37

Bulldogs37 New Member

Money:
    $14
    Joey is an amazing trainer and coach. His sole focus is to help players get better. He has developed so many players. I am sure a lot of you saw what Carsen Edwards did in the tournament. Joey deserves a lot of credit for helping him implement those moves. In regards to Butler, his work with Tyler and Kelan helped them improve significantly.

joliebeth23 likes this.
  14. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,924
    I don’t know the basketball rules like I do football, but I assume they are similar. There is a limit on the number of coaches you can have on staff. Can’t just add another chair to the bench.

15. Hinkle Nation

Money:
    $483
    It was uhh a joke?

16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,924
    This is a joke?

Ha ha?

dawgs2014 likes this.
  17. DuckOnAModerator

DuckOnAModerator Active Member

Money:
    $46
    The real joke is Hinkle Nation thinks that if we lose an assistant it should be Jeff Meyer... who can actually recruit and coach instead of Omar Lowery who was supposed to be coaching big men (terrible) and likely would never even get a sniff at an AC job from any other BE school.

18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    Does Joey have a track record of coaching defense,offense, systems, and recruiting at the college level?

19. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    You can make a lot more money and have a lot more freedom and have a lot fewer headaches doing what he's doing now vs. being a college assistant.

But yeah, let's call him up.

20. Mad_Dawg 48

Mad_Dawg 48 Member VIP Member

Money:
    $92

It appears Kamar may be putting some work in with Joey Burton as well.

jkcdawgs likes this.