John-Michael Mulloy - 2019 Center (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,868
    JMM just gets absolutely ignored. He’s had 2 possessions this half where his man has completely lost him and left him wide open under the rim with no one around and didn’t get the ball. He’s had only 2 touches, both he drew help defense and properly kicked it to the open man. His passing is certainly excellent. He has yet to attempt a shot from the floor.

Khalil Whitney of Mac Irvin has been very impressive. Doubt that’s a recruiting battle Butler wants to enter though. They might see him down the line in the Big East.

Trayce Jackson Davis is showing he’s an elite finisher around the rim. He still reminds me of Khyle Marshall. Not particularly skilled but he’s an athlete who can attack the rim with force.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,447
    Not surprising that JMM isn't getting the ball. Imagine assists in these games are a rarity along with defense.

3. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    I’m in between courts trying to watch Meanstreets and Indy Heat at the same time. Kampen is here.

Mulloy started the game with a great drive and finish from the top of the key. That is something he is tremendous at. Almost every time he’s tried to score with a back to the basket move down low he’s been blocked. When he gets room to face up and put the ball on the floor he can score. He is going to have a lot of success in a spread offense, especially if he starts knocking down the 3 (he took 1 yesterday that he missed).

Franklin knocked down a 3 early in his game. He’s again been solid on defense too. He almost had another charge but was a tad slow and didnt get out of the circle. He appears to have a better understanding than most at this level of when to help on drives and when to stick to his man on the perimeter. I’d still like to see what he can do attacking the basket, but he hasn’t tried much. It’s hard for players that aren’t aggressive with the ball or freak athletes who can finish at the rim to stand out in these settings without a lot of offensive structure. He just buried another 3 as I was typing this. He also finally attacked the rim but came up well short on a contested floater.

4. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    JMM will finish his final game with a double double. Impressive job on the glass and at the FT line. He’s 11-12 from there. These weren’t cheap rebounds either, he was battling down low.

#60 and cornette33 like this.
  5. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    JMM is also going to be able to give Butler a lot of flexibility on ball screens. He just had a possession where he helped and stopped the ball on a hard drive on a ball screen to his right, then rotated back over to his man and defended a second ball screen to his left on a quick ball reversal and it led to a travel. Very few bigs are capable of that type of rotation.

Right now his ability to convert in traffic is simply poor. He doesn’t have the elevation, quickness, or strength in his moves to score at this level. There’s not sugar coating that right now.

Outside of that flaw (which is undoubtedly a big flaw given his position) he is an absolutely tremendous player. He does nearly every little thing you could ask for. I have a feeling when he first gets playing time at Butler it’s going to be heavily criticized, because much of what he brings to the table are things the average fan won’t appreciate. Fans will just see him as soft. But coaches will love him.

If he could transform his body and add significant strength to his frame to be able to bang down low at even an adequate level he will be a major steal. A lot of people I talked to think Butler is overreaching here with JMM. I would agree that there is some significant risk here, but I don’t think it’s reaching at all. If they were gambling on trying to teach the game to an elite athlete with little skill or basketball awareness nobody would criticize it. But Id be willing to bet less athletic guys like Mulloy work out more often. They just don’t turn into NBA players when they do so they don’t draw the same attention.

joliebeth23, Shimmy, Tentozen and 3 others like this.
  6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,225
  7. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    I’m watching Mulloy and Indy Heat now. Mulloy has 2 touches in the middle early against the zone. Both times help came early and he kicked it out for wide open 3s (1 assist). Defensively he’s been in position and attempted to block 2 shots. He was scored over once and committed a shooting foul on the other. He forced a turnover when he switched a pick and roll and stayed with the guard on a baseline baseline drive. I’ve said this before, but he will be an asset defending ball screens on the perimeter. He will absolutely not block shots at the next level. He rarely does at this level. His positioning defense down low in the post is good, but he’s easy to jump over to score against.

cornette33 likes this.
  8. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Shot fake from the 3 point line, drive, dunk, “And 1” for Mulloy (it may have rattled around the rim a little, but I’m counting it!).

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    A second shot fake and take to the rim for Mulloy. This time from the high post against the zone. He’s going to eat up a zone from there for Butler.

The possession before he did something that isn’t exciting at all but shows his basketball awareness and IQ. He was once again at the free throw line and a teammate drove baseline and threw up a floater. Mulloy was not boxed out, started to take one step in, and realized that all 4 of his teammates had crashed the boards in front of him and there were defenders even with him. He immediately changed course and sprinted back on defense. It’s habit for big guys to always crash the boards, and usually that is good, but Mulloy recognized it wasn’t appropriate in that instant and reacted appropriately.

10. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Mulloy is out to prove me wrong after I said he’s not a shot blocker. He hasn’t taken a shot 4 minutes into Spiece vs Mac Irvin but he’s got 2 blocks and 3 defensive rebounds. Would have had 2 offensive rebounds as well but fouls were called in the shot.

cornette33 likes this.
  11. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Terrence Shannon, a bouncy 6’6” 2018 just tried to put Mulloy on a poster on a fast break. Mulloy went up and looked liked he cleanly pinned it against the backboard. It was called a foul, and Coach Delaney just went nuts on the sideline. Can’t believe he didn’t pick up a Technical. That was maybe the most athletic play I’ve seen Mulloy make.

Edit: It looks like Shannon is a 2019. 247 lists him as 2018 and the media guide says he’s a senior, so that’s why I said 2018. I’m assuming he reclassified. Irrelevant to the point above though.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Mulloy made one of the few dumb mistakes I’ve seen from him, flat throwing it straight to Markese Jacobs shooting the gap on the press. But then he went straight up and contested Jacobs at the rim and forced a miss. I was worried Jacobs was going to put him on a poster (go search Twitter for some of his dunks from this weekend!), but Mulloy won the battle. I’ve never seen JMM challenge guys at the rim like he is doing today. And these are mid to high major players, not just nobodies.

He just tried to take Shannon 1 on 1 from the perimeter and got it taken away for a breakaway dunk and is getting chewed out by one of the assistant coaches right now. That’s probably not the type of player he should be trying to beat from the outside. This is a very odd game from Mulloy.

13. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Mulloy just had an impressive sequence. He got switched out onto Jacobs (PG committed to Kansas) who tried to attack the rim but couldn’t get by and had to pass it off. Then after the missed shot he grabbed the rebound and led the fast break and picked up an assist for a 3 pointer.

14. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Mulloy just got switched onto 5 Star Alonzo Gaffney who went right at Mulloy. Mulloy denied the drive and then just straight took it from him. Then JMM stole an offensive rebound from Gaffney on the other end. He just wanted it more.

PSUButlerFan and mwall787 like this.
  15. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $2,252
  16. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    Mulloy is done. I won’t see him again for a while, so here is my overall thought on him for the time being. I was very nervous about seeing him go up against other top centers across the country. I actually wasn’t even sure if I considered him a center or a power forward.

After watching him several time I’m starting to love this commitment. Mulloy does better against bigger players and looks more impressive against them than the centers he sees in high school. This is because he simply isn’t a back to the basket player. Several times over the past 2 weeks he’s had a smaller player switch into him and been fed the ball in the post. It hasn’t gone well when that happens.

JMM’s strength is his speed, passing, and ball handling. He can best utilize this to his advantage facing up against other 6’10” players, either at the high post or all the way out to the 3 point line. This is why I like him as a stretch 5 instead of a 4. Defensively he appeared perfectly capable of handling other big men. His position defense is tremendous and he does a good job of boxing out and fighting for rebounds. He will probably give up some baskets where taller or more athletic bigs simply jump up above him and score, but I can live with that. A lot of us have been or probably still are nervous because we are trying to evaluate him the way we would a traditional center. That’s just not who he is.

I’m excited to see how he gets used at Butler. If he can get stronger and develop a back to the basket game then that’s excellent. He will be a big time player for Butler if he does. But that’s just bonus if it happens. As he is, you can really spread the floor with him and open up the offense. Clear out the lane for dribble penetration and kicks for 3 pointers. Put some speed around him and really run teams out of the gym when he’s on the floor. Golden and Hastings are going to really be well suited to that style of play as well. I love the style of roster that LaVall is building, and I think fans are going to love it too.

17. JCM

JCM New Member

Money:
    $19
  18. JCM

JCM New Member

Money:
    $19

bicknob likes this.
  19. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    How many "cutting to the bucket two hand stuffs" over a defense have we seen out of Fowler in his three years? Just have a feeling we're going to see a whole lot of Michigan-style small ball next season. Mulloy may or may not be the answer at the 5 in the future (after some weight room visits). Fingers crossed. But hopefully this one play demonstrates he might just possess a little of a "Howard" or even a "Smith" mindset in using his size and making his presence known....and wishfully, hoping a "Kam Woods" defensive presence around the paint. All to be determined regarding Mulloy, and badly needed by Butler. Passivity in the paint at 6 - 10 just isn't a good look. (Oh, fingers crossed on Joey, too. Who knows what we have there.)

20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,353
    I think we will see JMM bring a distinct skill set to BU from the others mentioned. He will have some of the qualities of each though including AC. Moving 3 years ahead I do think JMM should add some physicality he does not currently possess and should become a really good position defender but not necessarily a rim protector.

Last edited: May 14, 2018