John-Michael Mulloy - 2019 Center (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    From what I recall from what Jared's seen, it sounds like positionally he has the ability to move with just about anyone on the floor, but isn't a great rim protector. Even with Kam Woods, Butler didn't block a ton of shots, so that's not a big deal. Also, "Michigan style small ball" is essentially Butler basketball the last decade or so. Smith, Howard, Streicher, Chrabascz and Fowler all have/had the ability to shoot the 3, and it sounds like Mulloy is in that same mold. Howard (other than his Jr. year when he got called for fouls every 5 seconds), Smith, Streicher, Woods, Chrabascz, Wideman and even Fowler also are athletic enough to be in a decent position even if switched off on a smaller player.

"Passivity" or not, as long as Mulloy is effective and can duplicate the same efficiency as Fowler, Smith, Howard, Wideman, Chrabascz, Streicher, that's going to help Butler win games.

Hinkle likes this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,099
    The analogy of JMM and Dr. Drew is a good one.

3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,395
    Newest 247 has him at 171 and 217 on 247 comp

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,700
    Still too low.

5. seadawg

Money:
    $3,099
    Regardless of this rating, JMM will prove to be a great addition to BU's program

Insane Dawg likes this.
  6. BBall Fan

BBall Fan New Member

Money:
    $32
    You all should no not to put any faith into these rankings. After someone commits and your out of the top 50 or so it truly isn't a good reading on the player. If you truly want a look at the player watch him play a game. Look where JMM got his high school team to this year. JMM Spiece team has two top 25 kids on it that haven't committed. You can bet he isn't seeing the ball much. If he was playing on a different team his ranking would be higher. Kid from Texas Tech appears to be going in the first round of the draft and was rated 240 +- in rankings last year.

bicknob, seadawg, Insane Dawg and 2 others like this.
  7. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,079
    It’s just important to remember that the goals of these recruiting rankings are to rank the best individual players. The goal of any coaching staff in recruiting is to build a roster to win games. While there is certainly plenty of overlap between them, those 2 focuses are not the same thing. For example, there were plenty of “better” basketball players than guys like Vanzant or Veasley. But those guys were absolute perfect fits for their role. If you replace them with most of those more talented players Butler probably doesn’t get to those Final Fours. Having good role players is just as essential as having stars. Good coaches understand how to recruit those players.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

PSUButlerFan, #60, BHayden and 7 others like this.
  8. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,079
  9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,700
    4-5 shooting in 22 minutes.

10. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,715
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
    Tough to take much from all-star games. I'm shocked Gillis is playing. He came back from his knee scope and played the other weekend up in Chicago. Played alright, but then played like 20s versus the KY juniors in 2 games bc his knee was sore due to coming back too soon. Bummed that Brooks and TJD have been in CS trying out for USA this whole all-star week. I think someone on Spiece might be a true PG, but idk if the Juniors had one. That's probably why Franklin/Gillis/Newman had so many TO's. Plus, it's an all-star game. Again, Isaiah Thompson coming back from his ankle sprain would help. Dawand Jones is massive. I wonder what type of football career choices he has.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  12. JCM

JCM New Member

Money:
    $19
  13. BBall Fan

BBall Fan New Member

Money:
    $32
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,700
    Looking forward to him playing in Hinkle. He has what it takes to do well.

15. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
  16. Irishdawg

Money:
    $1
  17. seadawg

Money:
    $3,099
    I am not concerned in the least. JMM is a smart player and once he fills out I predict he will have a wonderful career.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $11,700
    The Indy Star seems to be on a mission of promoting IU.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  19. Irishdawg

Money:
    $1
    Agreed - I think he'll be a great college player for Butler once he's gotten stronger and had some time to develop. I'm not saying he should be in front of Brooks, TJD, Franklin, Newman or Gillis, but Hemenway and Thompson being ahead of him are the guys I mainly question. It's all opinion based, so I'm not saying Neddenriep is 100% wrong, I just don't agree with it.

20. seadawg

Money:
    $3,099
    The state of basketball in Indiana is strong, but the ratings are subjective at best.