John-Michael Mulloy - 2019 Center (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 1, 2017.

1. BBall Fan

BBall Fan New Member

Money:
    $32
    Mr. Neddenriep seems to have not given JMM much credit for leading his high school team to the state finals in which he had a unbelievable game that fell just short of the championship. He had to get past a few of these guys to get there not to mention a few really good players that graduated. JMM full potential will not be realized until he grows into his body. Big guys take longer. JMM has a unique skill set for a big. Can't wait to see him on the court at Butler!!!!!

BUcheer likes this.
  2. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $396
    Promoting IU and Purdue has always been the case with The Indianapolis Star; the daily articles on various IU and Purdue players that we have been seeing recently just reinforces that. But it is understandable, the majority of the people who read the paper are most likely IU and Purdue alumni and fans of those programs.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,878
    Aren't those rankings mostly in line with how the recruiting outlets have ranked the players?

4. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $206
    I think JMM should be ahead of Alex Hemenway and most recruiting outlets believe so as well. Other than that, the ranking seem pretty consistent to the recruiting outlets.

5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,969
    247 has JMM ahead of Isaiah Thompson and Hemenway. They have JMM just below Gillis

Staxawax likes this.
  6. BBall Fan

BBall Fan New Member

Money:
    $32
    I will go back to my original comment. At this point these rankings really don't mean anything. Once you commit you seem to fall to the wayside. Its all about the hype. If you truly want to see what JMM brings to the table go watch him play. He will be a great addition to the Bulldogs!!!

bicknob, #60 and BUcheer like this.
  7. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,868
    I absolutely love what I’m seeing from Mulloy matched up against James Wiseman. You would never imagine Mulloy is referred to as soft based on this game. He is bodying up Wiseman and making life tough for him down in the post. He’s gotten 2 steals and a block down there. Wiseman has done very little against Mulloy. Mulloy missed 1 boxout early and gave up another board despite boxing him out on an unfortunate bounce off the rim, but outside of that everything Wiseman has gotten has been off of steals or when Mulloy was out of the game. The Heat need JMM in there because no one else is slowing him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,447
    Mulloy's stats have been modest. Is he not getting minutes or are his teammates hogging?

9. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    I’ve only seen this one game, but that’s just not his role. In this one his job is to contain James Wiseman, the #1 overall player in the country, and he has done a superb job of it. The box score isn’t going to show it, because Wiseman has lit up everyone else, but JMM has performed better than I expected. You won’t see a ton of rebounds on his stat line but it’s because he’s been focused on sealing Wiseman instead of pursuing the ball. It’s been a great showing for Mulloy defensively.

Now offensively Mulloy rarely looked to attack. He’s simply not going to score against a player like Wiseman. Even Trayce Jackson Davis struggled to finish inside in this one, and he does that as well as anyone in the country.

#60 likes this.
  10. TrillwaukeeDawg

TrillwaukeeDawg New Member

Money:
    $0
    Dropped him to 252 on 24/7, and 298 using comp today

11. BBall Fan

BBall Fan New Member

Money:
    $32
    I will repeat my original comment twice over !!! Jared watched what he brings to the table at Peach Jam. He is capable of many roles.

I will go back to my original comment. At this point these rankings really don't mean anything. Once you commit you seem to fall to the wayside. Its all about the hype. If you truly want to see what JMM brings to the table go watch him play. He will be a great addition to the Bulldogs!!!

BUcheer likes this.
  12. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    I’m not surprised he dropped. I don’t project him as a featured player at any point in his career. I think he can be an extremely valuable role player. Rankings like scorers and shot blockers for big men. He’s not either of those, so he’s not going to be ranked high.

13. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,653
    Jared, what do you mean by "role player?" To which Butler player from the past would you compare him as an "extremely valuable role player." I'm not talking style, but in terms of the type of contribution to the team. Since you have seen him player multiple times, I'm very interested in your perspective.

14. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,969
    I'm guessing like a Willie Veasley, Julian Betko type players. Not stars but do everything to make the team better.

15. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    It’s really hard to answer that question. I don’t even want to make a prediction, because I don’t feel like I have a prediction I feel confident in. Predicting how good role players will be can be really tough, in part because they have to transition to an environment that is so different than what you evaluate them in. A correct fit can be absolutely crucial, more so than your star players. A guy like Khalif Battle can go to any style of program and be great. JMM needs to find someplace he fits in, and I think Butler is a good fit with the way Jordan is building this roster. I don’t think he would do well at St John’s or Georgetown, for example.

Best case scenario (because that’s the fun one to talk about, right?) he reaches Barlow level status. He’s got a similar type of scrappiness to him that I think Butler fans will like. He’s one of those guys that offensive players hate to see guarding them because they know they are going to have to work their butt off to keep up. If he adds strength to that scrappiness he could really become a Hinkle favorite.

To give it a shot as my best guess in terms of future value as a player? Maybe Henry Baddley?

16. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,653
    Thanks, Jared.

17. BUStudent

BUStudent Active Member

Money:
    $143
    I think what worries me most is the lack of firepower from our bigs the next 4-5 years. We know Fowler can score but brunk and JMM seem similarly passive on offense. I don’t think there will be much “inside-out” action going on unless they can be a threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

bmradio99 likes this.
  18. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,969
    I think you forget about Bryce Golden and Bryce Nze...

BHayden and SpartanDawgs like this.
  19. Jared Grubbs

Money:
    $15,868
    I agree with your assessment of lacking post scorers. My question though is this. Is that a bad thing? Old school big men are becoming outdated (which we could have an entire conversation on as it pertains to Brunk). Opening up the lane has frequently become more desirable than filling it with a back to the basket scorer. Coach Jordan seems to be going with the modern philosophy on bigs, and I personally love it.

BHayden likes this.
  20. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Active Member

Money:
    $416
    I'm fine with our offense not having a back to the basket scorer, but if they have bigs who can't hit jump shots or play with their back to the basket then what are they supposed to do on offense? We saw what Aaron Thompson's lack of a jump shot did last season, but at least he could penetrate score at the basket/create for others. I'm not sure Brunk can do that. I should mention that I haven't seen Mulloy play (just going off of what I read here) and Brunk has hardly gotten a chance to show us anything on the court. Does Mulloy have a nice jumper? Does anyone know if Brunk is working on developing one?

I'd like to see us find a rim protecting 5 who can step out and hit a mid-3 point range jump shot if needed. I'm not sure Mulloy/Brunk will ever have the ability to be above the rim shot blockers, but they could be terrific defensive anchors with high motors.