John-Michael Mulloy - 2019 Center (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 1, 2017.

1. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,063
    If you find a 5 who can hit a 3 and play above the rim, good luck keeping him in college... which brings up the real issue. College plays by a different set of rules... It's a lot easier to open up the lane when it's bigger and illegal to camp out there.

I'm not really worried about Fowler, Brunk, Nze, or Golden. Any coach that's worth a bleep can adjust their "system" to succeed if you have skilled enough players

2. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,164
    Brunk shot 3s occasionally in high school. I saw a summer game where he hit 4 in a single game (maybe even all in the first half? its been too long). That doesn't mean he will shoot them in college, but he's capable of developing that. I remember back when Rose Jones hit 2 or 3 of those in an all-star game before coming to college, so take it for what it's worth. Mulloy will be a 3 point shooter. He needs to be. He's an 80+% free throw shooter, so his shot is fine. He needs to at least be Andrew Chrabascz like from behind the arc if he wants to have success offensively IMO. He doesn't need to be a sharp shooter, but he needs to make defenders respect the shot. If he does that, he can then exploit bigger defenders by taking them off the dribble.

I would also say that Brunk IS a back to the basket scorer, so I'm not saying they don't have any, just that they don't have a lot. I don't think he has a wide range of moves, but that is how he needs to score. We will see how much slimming down helps him, but I'm not sure you can justify giving him a ton of minutes if he can't punish weaker defenders in the paint. If he can't I think Butler will be better off going small where they can spread the floor more.

SpartanDawgs, BHayden and SnoopDawg like this.
  3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,201
    I'll admit to having slightly higher aspirations For JMM. Not saying he will ever be a featured player in the offense but I do believe by the time he becomes a finished product he will become more than just a significant role player. Carmel completely failed to advantage of his skill set and height in last year's state championship game. Hopefully his style of play will rub off on others. While it has yet to be seen, I firmly believe JB will make significant progress in the coming season. He has to get a feel for the game which was difficult considering the limited and sporadic minutes he received last year.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,063
  5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
    #39 is where JMM is ranked.

6. seadawg

Money:
    $3,201
    Great to see JMM in the locker room post game. It appears he has bought in lock, stock and barrel.

Irishdawg likes this.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,223
    Today is signing day, correct? If so, any official reports about John-Michael or Khalif & their LOIs?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  8. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,663
    Khalif signed. See his thread. No news yet on Mulloy...

#60 likes this.
  9. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $1
  10. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,179
    Brunk's apparent emergence can let us be a lot more patient with JMM. From most peoples' accounts, JMM is a long way from being a Big East player. Looks like he can have two years of development at Butler before we'll really need him to be ready.

Glad we got him.

11. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,432
    He's going to give Butler another versatile dimension. Get him some strength & conditioning and he will be a very solid contributor. I'd almost like to see a RS for sure to bulk up

NateDog, BHayden and Hinkle like this.
  12. seadawg

Money:
    $3,201
    It will be most interesting to see the finished product. I honestly think most folks will be more than pleasantly surprised. Very sound fundamentals and player who gets after it defensively.

BHayden likes this.
  13. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,910
    Outside of strength and athleticism, the biggest reason he won’t be able to contribute early is his foul rate. From what I’ve seen, he plays defense with his hands and not feet. That will not work at the next level.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BHayden likes this.
  14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,958
    Not just defense. Unless youre like Anthony Davis hardly anything big guys do in high school will work in college. It’s just a totally different game when you’re playing 6’10 centers who are stronger than you instead of 6’4-6’6 centers. And then there’s the speed of the game too.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $421
    Was thinking the same thing. This is no knock on him, and I have no insider knowledge or anything, but wouldn't be stunned if he's a red-shirt candidate just looking at the 2019-20 roster as it stands now. With Brunk/Golden and Nze/Tucker at the 4/5 already. But who knows.

BHayden and LA-OC-IE like this.
  16. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $194
    Nova got 2 titles building depth via redshirts. Novachap might correct me but pretty sure Spellman, Booth, Jenkins, Big Ragu maybe brunson all were RS.
    McBuckets n Brunk let alone Jorgs, savage n others all benefit greatly from that RS year.

17. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,755
    Not sure about the others, but Brunson was definitely not a RS. He was like the #2 overall player. A 5-star does not redshirt.

lee@bu1984, bumba, Dunhamfor3 and 3 others like this.
  18. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,432
    You are correct Brunson most definitely did not red shirt

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

BHayden likes this.
  19. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,432
    And some of those weren't planned RS they were forced medical ones...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

20. seadawg

Money:
    $3,201
    Spellman was a 5 star.