John-Michael Mulloy - 2019 Center (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 1, 2017.

1. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,443
    Carmel has employed the 4 corner and the double post to hold for last shot often but it's more to control tempo. Tonight was not indicative of how they normally played throughout the season.

2. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,146
    Really think highly of Paulie. Like he said, he “will forever be a Bulldog.”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,693
    I get why they did it, but I think it was a little cheap of Carmel to hold the ball for over a minute to try and end the first half. I'm definitely a proponent of a shot clock in high school.

4. seadawg

Money:
    $3,443
    The obstacle with the HS shot clock will be budgetary.

estar20dawg and UDDawg like this.
  5. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,693
    Yup, totally get that. Budget and making sure they can get qualified people all around the state. I'm sure this is a pipe dream and would cause issues, but it could be interesting to only use one during the state tournament. Maybe teams would start sort of self-imposing better tempo during the regular season to prepare for the tournament.

jkcdawgs and Hinkle like this.
  6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    I’ve never understood this argument. How expensive can installing and running a clock really be...?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,219
    it's not so much the installation. It's that you have to pay another qualified official to run the clock

also, the IHSAA is apart of some national high school rules organization and they would have to vacate its seat and voting rights to play with a shot clock... It's stupid, but allegedly some ppl care about being apart of the org

estar20dawg likes this.
  8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    Do you really though? There’s no real need to have a fully qualified official running the clock. There could be some lower threshold for certification and then pay accordingly less (and even at full price, it’s not like IHSAA officials are THAT expensive).

I think you’re right that the installation cost is probably a non-issue, at least for 95%+ schools. Varsity officials make about $100 a game (this is in the area I grew up in, where a relative of mine is an AD; maybe pay is higher at bigger schools around Indy, but then the schools’ athletics also have a lot more money). It can’t be hard to pay an extra ~$50/game to have someone make the game immensely more fair/enjoyable. You’ve got 10-12 home games a year. Schools can’t come up with an extra $500-$600 a year to cover a rule change?

All of which is to say, I just don’t see how the perpetual “cost” argument holds up. Seems like it’s just the IHSAA being stubborn and lazy.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  9. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Running the game clock, shot clock, and scoreboard can all be done by one person with absolutely no problem at all.

In college there are systems that stop the game clock on the officials whistle and they’ll start it back up themselves as well. Watch on inbounds plays and one official will grab the back of their belt...that’s starting the clock.

Hinkle likes this.
  10. seadawg

Money:
    $3,443
    The vast majority of HS programs would have monetary restraints. Beyond that, there seems to be the premise that HS basketball is broken. This is fixing a problem that does not exist. IMHO

BUcheer likes this.
  11. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,407
    Agreed. I personally don't have a problem with pace of play in high school games. It's not like college and pros where they need to keep the pace up for entertainment/TV ratings purposes. Also, just because a team wants to hold the ball for a minute-plus doesn't mean the opponent's defense has to let them.

Personally, I think a shot clock would result in a lot of possessions ending in bad shots.

BUcheer likes this.
  12. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,747
    I think having a shot clock gets more kids ready for college ball by forcing them to run more offensive sets in the course of a game and getting them used to a shot clock. I would be all for a 40 or 45 second clock. It does not speed it up too much, but it should keep scores from being 29-28 contests that end in overtime.

13. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,693
    Yeah, I mean I admit that was the first high school game I'd been to in quite a while, so I'm not too well-versed in the high school game. It was just a little jarring to see Mulloy stand with the ball for 15-20 seconds at a time.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    Unless $1000/year, max, is a significant constraint for most departments, this just isn’t true. And I know firsthand that for a 1A public school to which I have close ties, $1000 just isn’t a big deal, especially for basketball. I mean, you cover that by bumping ticket prices a fricken nickel. And yes, some games are significant damaged by the lack of a shot clock. Maybe “broken” is strong, but why not improve something that can be easily improved?

15. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    If you can’t get a good shot in 35 seconds, why would you get one in a minute or two minutes or 8 minutes?

dawgs2014 likes this.
  16. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,407
    Just that one is self-inflicted, while the other could be forced on you by a rule change.

Do I think it's boring when teams hold the ball for a minute-plus? Absolutely. But if you don't want them to do it, then play defense. Personally, I'm just against a statewide rule change just because some fans might be bored sometimes.

BUcheer likes this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,693
    Dumb question, is there a 5 second rule in high school? If not, how do you play defense against holding the ball? Of course you could try to pressure and steal but you also risk fouling.

18. ConnersvilleBulldog

Money:
    $5,407
    Yeah, there's 5 second-closely guarded rule.

19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Even though there is a 5 second closely guarded rule, you can still pass to someone else. Who really benefits from not even trying to score and just playing keep away? Is that really the spirit of the game?

UDDawg likes this.
  20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    I disagree. A more entertaining product is better for the players and the schools and the fans, and it comes at extremely little cost.

But putting that aside, it’s not JUST a boredom thing. It’s a competition thing. It’s an insult to sport that you can have a modest lead 3/4 of the way through a contest and have essentially 0 chance of losing if a coach is willing to take advantage of the rules as currently written.

Imagine if a guy was leading the Masters after Saturday’s round and had the option to cancel round 4 if he wanted. It’s a joke.