John-Michael Mulloy - 2019 Center (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by Jared Grubbs, Jan 1, 2017.

1. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,016
    I wouldn’t say it’s “taking advantage” of the rules—I call that strategy. And despite the fact there were many times Carmel should have held the ball longer than they did strategy-wise, the kids just can’t seem to help themselves and take a shot. It doesn’t happen so often and extended that I find it boring. Probably the opposite as to me it’s entertaining to see how the other team reacts to the strategy.

seadawg likes this.
  2. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $392
    Part of that you have to put on Ben Davis; Dawand Jones or someone else on Ben Davis could have gone out to guard Mulloy but chose not to. There was at least one possession where I believe Jalen Windham pushed Jones in the back to get him to go out there; but he chose not to. I can understand Jones' reluctance considering that Mulloy blew right by him on a couple of possessions earlier in the game.

UDDawg likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    I don’t mean “taking advantage of” in the sense that I blame anyone for doing it. In fact, I think it’s really stupid not to do it. I just think it’s a farce that it’s the right play. It’s not modern basketball. It’s just a dumb form of keep-away.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

UDDawg likes this.
  4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Doing so says winning is more important than actually letting the kids play the game.

That’s rly dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,816
    Help them be better people. Win as much as possible within the rules. These are your only jobs as a high school coach. Making poor strategic decisions that are completely within the (admittedly dumb) rules helps with neither of those jobs. Change the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,317
    Maybe we should stop keeping score and glorify those who participate with a trophy. Then no strategy will be needed. It's simply too emotional.:(

7. seadawg

Money:
    $3,317
    Aside from the philosophical arguments on either side, the increased costs would be more of a factor than some might realize. The basic cost for a shot clock would be in the range from 5,000 to 7,000 dollars. That would not include wiring, mounting hardware or installation and labor costs. It would also need to be compatible with the current scoreboard. A scoreboard could potentially cost up to 25,000 dollars. Keep in mind there are shot clocks at each end. I can see where some school systems would have a difficult time justifying this in there budget. Even I was surprised about the costs being so high.

BU_NeonHat likes this.
  8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    Why does it need to be compatible with a scoreboard?

9. seadawg

Money:
    $3,317
    It would need to be synchronized. My assumption would be some systems are simply outdated. There would also need to be a portable backup systems available.

10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    That makes sense. Yeah you’re right that I bet the scoreboard and not the shot clock likely poses the larger issue

11. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $257
    I believe another issue is manning the shot clock. It is more difficult than you think in trying to judge whether a ball hits the rim....who wins possession...etc and when to reset or not. This is not a major college arena...but a little high school...run by parents and volunteers. How many times do we see shot clock issues in college games? The answer is plenty.....imagine parents trying to keep all of that straight...plus keep track of fouls and time outs. If you pay another referee to do this....there is another cost.

12. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    It’s really not hard. For shot clock you hit a trigger when possession is secured after the ball hits the rim. I’ve done clock/shot clock/scoreboard for a closed scrimmage which has NCAA refs and rules. I had used it one time before that.

13. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Active Member

Money:
    $257
    But you are not the typical parent who is there because their son or daughter is playing at East Upside Down Greene County High.

DawgsMD likes this.
  14. seadawg

Money:
    $3,317
    Clock operators earnings can vary from 300 to 600 dollars per season in the HS ranks. Unless you can find a volunteer for free. Either way it is not a significant cost. I would add that not all goals are capable of supporting a shot clock due to the various framework styles.

15. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,589
    It can also be the same clock operator you already have

16. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168

NCJon likes this.
  17. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,018
    JMM named to first team all Indiana by the AP.

DawgPoundMac and bmradio99 like this.
  18. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,400
    He should have been in the running for Mr. Basketball.

Tentozen likes this.
  19. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,043
    Don't you realize you must go to IU or Purdue, the fact he won a state title and was runner up last year means nothing.

bumba and Insane Dawg like this.
  20. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,168
    Gotta make sure the McDonald's All American headed to Bloomington wins. Everything at the IndyStar is driven by profit (or lack there of).

I do find it a little ****ty that it's being held on BU's campus yet there's no BU recruit in consideration for Mr. B. I hope we charged them through to nose for it.