John Poulakidas - 2021 Shooting Guard (Offered)

Discussion in '2021 Recruiting Profiles' started by Mr X, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,872
    He can knock down all sorts of shots. As I posted in the Run N Slam thread, my only question is can he handle the length of athleticism of high major defenses. He was much more impressive than I expected against good but not top competition. He looks kind of awkward and lanky so i was a little surprised to see such fluid offensive moves. I’m not 100% sold yet but if I had to make a decision based only on what I’ve seen I wouldn’t hesitate at all to offer him.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bwesson15, cornette33 and estar20dawg like this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,370
    And he's another lefty.

3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,980
    I think he will continue to be fine when he gets to college against bigger athletic defenders. He's 6'5 already even if he doesn't grow any more he's what 15/16. He's going to put on some bulk and muscle worst case he's McD light as a sniper 2/3. He's got more dribble drive ability already now than McD. I'm on if a team has to put their best athletic 6'6 defender on him because that means guys like Battle and potentially Brown have less capable guys. More likely it's the other way around Battle and Brown get the defenses which I like Pouly as I'll call him against a secondary defender

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

cornette33 likes this.
  4. seadawg

Money:
    $3,370
    BU should consider pulling the trigger on an offer. IMHO

cornette33 likes this.
  5. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Active Member

Money:
    $428
    Is Kellen Dunham a decent comparison? (I know that's a lofty thing to say)

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    This kid is only going to be a junior? Dang offer him! And when he visits next week don’t let him go home.

7. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,980
    Pouly is farther along off the double than Kellen was at this point. Kellen was way further along as a shooter at this point

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. SpartanDawg68

SpartanDawg68 New Member

Money:
    $35
    Gotta hope they get him on an official soon and offer him then and he commits before leaving campus

cornette33 likes this.
  9. cornette33

cornette33 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $871
    I hope they offer him now. He has been on campus a bunch. Why wait?

10. seadawg

Money:
    $3,370
    He seems to have better ball handling, passing and defensive skills at this point. As to shooting I couldn't say but he does have deep range.

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
  12. estar20dawg

Money:
    $2,980
    He's going to have to change his shot slightly in order to get it off quicker, you watch Steph Curry and Joey Burton talk about the catch and and go up with without crossing the body wanting to keep the shooting arm always in position with the basket. The video does a good job of showing he catches and the left arm is across the body bringing it up into shooting position, but he should be easily able to correct that. And it's just a minor thing.

Here's Burton breaking it down

13. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,099
    Not necessarily a major surprise but Butler did offer on his unofficial visit today. He's getting a fair amount of high-major interest and this is great early offer, in my opinion. I'll admit that I'm quite high on Poulikidas' game (Jared can attest to that lol). Big-time shot-maker.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  14. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,319
    Some of these names are going to require nick names if they pull the trigger, I can't keep up.

DawgPoundMac and NCJon like this.
  15. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,433
    The whole staff is on him apparently.

DawgPoundMac, bumba and cornette33 like this.
  16. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,433
    We're a far cry from the m1 carbine rifle days.

cornette33 likes this.
  17. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,433
    He's obviously a great player and I'd pretty happy if Butler landed him, but his shot is quite funky and his agility and athleticism leave a lot to be desired. That being said, I've never seen him play outside of the clips above, so what do I know.

18. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $448
    He’s got the Lonzo Ball shot with the hitch going across his body. But the release looks smooth. If he can move the ball over to the left side of his body to start instead of bringing it all the way across his body every time he shoots his release could be lightning quick because somehow he still manages to make it look somewhat smooth and quick. You see that with a lot of ambidextrous people because they grew up fighting themselves trying to decide with hand they want to shoot with. Hard to change your shot this late though and be successful with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

19. chc3

chc3 Active Member

Money:
    $133
    It seems to me his shot is solid. His shot set point goes up and out from the center left which is similar to Kyrie Irving's technique which as a right hander is center right. Ball shoots from the opposite side of his shooting hand - as a right hander he shoots center left...

20. seadawg

Money:
    $3,370
    Shooting mechanics can be tweaked. We seem to be getting extremely picky with kid who still has 2 years in HS left?