John Poulakidas - 2021 Shooting Guard (Yale)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Mr X, Feb 2, 2019.

1. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,053
    It's a historically crappy spot, but it's been good recently. Went to the tourney in '19 and would have gone this year. Ever since Yale changed their financial aid package so that most students aren't paying tuition, like Harvard, James Jones has been able to up his recruiting significantly.

2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,390
    BU will have to wait a little longer for a sharpshooter. I feel he could have been a great fit.

NCJon likes this.
  3. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,320
    It's all relative. Yes, Yale isn't Youngstown State. But in four years there, he'll play maybe a few games in front of more than a couple thousand fans (Yale averaged 1400 the last three seasons - most Indiana high schools have more fans). He'll get to the Tournament as a 13-14 seed probably once, and twice if things go really well. He may never play a ranked team. He's very unlikely to ever win a Tournament game. He'll play on national TV maybe a couple times in four years.

Given his skill level in basketball and other options (Big Ten, Big East, etc.) that's a really crappy basketball outcome.

But again, this is a very reasonable and respectable life choice and I'd never blame him for a second for it.

PSUButlerFan and seadawg like this.
  4. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,390
    There was glimmer of Pete Campbell within him.

5. Ster8462

Ster8462 Active Member

Money:
    $414
    Or maybe he plans to get his degree in 3 years and if he progresses as Sean McDermott did over the course of his career he grad transfers for senior year to a more prominent basketball school and plays a role as a senior and has his Undergraduate Degree from Yale.

Wise college decision for him and 4 years is a long time. Heck I’ve had 5 addresses in a little over 18 months.

ChiDawg3 likes this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,930
    Knowing what I know now, if I could get a degree in 3 years and then go to like Northwestern/Stanford/ND for a grad degree for free and play sports that last year that seems like the best outcome on the planet.

That being said getting a degree in 3 years and playing sports at Yale is absolutely grueling.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,442
    Yeah. I mean I LOVE PSU and am so glad that’s where I went. In my 5 seasons, we were 51-13 (and 22-4 the 2 years I got on the field). But if I had to do it all over again, Stanford, who was absolutely putrid until my senior year, would be tough to turn down. If I were 2 years younger and could match my college years with the Luck/end of Harbaugh/Early David Shaw time, that would have been ideal. It would have come down to that or PSU.

Can’t blame a kid for taking an Ivy League education. A Butler degree just doesn’t open the same doors as a Yale degree, even if that shouldn’t be the case.

8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,930
    Yale just has better students. I don’t know if they offer a *better* education-I feel like what I got from Butler was as good as I could have gotten at that stage of my life-but they do have generally better students. I think it opening more doors is perfectly fine.

9. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,320
    This is correct. I went to a Yale rival/peer school after Butler and this is exactly right. The average student is more studious and got great test scores and just cares more about achieving things in their career. And because of that the most prestigious employers just line up, especially in the bigger markets. But I’m not sure the education was much different or better.

NCJon likes this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,442
    That’s fair. It’s the network you can build, too.

Hinkle likes this.
  11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,735
    [​IMG]
    he became a bulldog but not ours... welcome to the archives, John

12. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,774
    When I was in school the saying was “Butler is the Yale of the Midwest.” I guess he chose “the Butler of the East.”

TheDawgDub95, ButlerNut and DawgsMD like this.