John Poulakidas - 2021 Shooting Guard (Yale)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Mr X, Feb 2, 2019.

1. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,067
    I think Chicago is actually an Indy suburb.

2. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,053
    I think you meant that Illinois is a suburb of Chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

UDDawg likes this.
  3. ChiDawg3

ChiDawg3 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $568
    Well, I'm glad he passed that test and he agrees with EVERYONE in Chicago that Naperville and the surrounding suburbs are in fact suburbs of Chicago. If he didn't think so, it would have been fair to guess he would not have done well academically at Butler.
    Kidding aside, I do hope we get him. We need a shooter and I love that he is a high character guy. He sounds like a great fit.
    It would be great for the Butler fans in the Chicago area to have a local talent to support which hopefully leads to more prospects in the area considering Butler.

seadawg and WestLoopDog like this.
  4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,415
    I certainly agree that most everyone would consider Naperville a suburb of Chicago (especially those who are natives/residents). In fact, I've never heard legitimately anyone question it until now.

I just think at some point being far away should play some role in that determination. Since suburb is a an inherently loose term, I am fighting a battle I legitimately can't win and I know that. I just think something 40 miles away is its own thing.

5. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,053
    Yeah - then Dayton would be a suburb of Cincinnati, which I am guessing we all would agree is not the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

6. Sidd Finch

Sidd Finch Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,261
    I believe this is at least the second time you've thrown out the 40 miles away figure. I'd love to know where you're getting that from. You did not take the most direct route if that's what the odometer in your car told you.

As an aside, I still don't think anyone has legitimately questioned it. ;)

Tentozen likes this.
  7. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $953
    We've really gone off the deep end here. I was raised in the city (NW side - Irving Park Rd) and couldn't care less about this inane meta-thread.

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    2xDawg, tlp63 and bobbu64 like this.
  8. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,415
    I just did a google maps search of distance between Millenium Park and Naperville. The different routes range between 33.1 miles and 37.1 miles. I'm being non specific both because there is no mile marker that I have as an exact cutoff where I'd say, yeah that's a suburb, and because the resolution to this is completely inconsequential. I don't wish to convince anyone to believe differently than they already do.

9. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,067
    My buddy used to run this place. Right off 88 next to the indoor skydiving place. 29 miles.

18C05FEA-5882-4D47-92B4-815EA9049FE2.png

10. FriarDawg

FriarDawg Active Member

Money:
    $211
    I live in Downers Grove which is 2 towns closer to the city than Naperville. If you are along the Burlington train line and you can catch the train into the city you are a suburb of the city. It’s a 34 minute express train in from Naperville. Side not .... my son played early AAU ball against John. The kid would be a great fit both as a teammate and the shooter that we all know we need.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba and Tentozen like this.
  11. kac12568

kac12568 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,267
    Jared, could you please start a different thread for this discussion on Chicago suburbs, so we can focus on player recruitment in this thread.

willisbrown, #60, Shimmy and 5 others like this.
  12. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,876
    He's working hard, feel like I'd be happy with 2 of the 3 of Barnhizer, Pouly or Joplin

bwesson15, ChiDawg3, dawg767 and 2 others like this.
  13. dawg767

Money:
    $953
    To round out 2021 Class, give me one of JP or BB along with a Top 200 4/5. I totally get that we need another Dunham-esque Wing to space the floor. It is undeniable that we'll be loaded with position-less athletic 2's and 3's in 2021, but I think we could have a real lack of Frontcourt depth (meaning 4/5 positions).

Further to above, does anyone know who is the better pure perimeter shooter between Brooks and John? Give me the sniper rather than the slasher here.

14. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,232
    I think both will be very good college shooters. I think I would give the edge to Poulakidas as a sniper, though. FWIW, I classify David Joplin as a small-ball "4", so I think he would definitely help the frontcourt.

With that said, the frontcourt for 21-22 isn't that shallow, though, just undersized: Golden, JMM, Scooby, Hodges (he's a 3/4 even at 6"5" in my eyes), Coles, Hastings, Wilmoth can all play at least the 3/4, with a few that can play the 5. There's only four true guards on the roster for that year as it stands (Tate, Harris, Thomas, Taylor). Landing a sniper would be my top priority given the current roster construction, then a forward (Joplin) or a big (could be a grad transfer).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    seadawg likes this.
  15. dawg767

Money:
    $953
    Thanks Lukas. I would consider Hodges and Scoob as Wings and would be out of position at the 4. Pretty sure Scoob did not come here to play 4 and would probably transfer because his path to the next level is as a 2 with perhaps even some PG sprinkled in. Hodges has indicated his offseason focus will be improving his 3 pt shot so he was not brought here to play 4. Can both of them guard 2 through 4? Absolutely. But they are not 4's.

I have high hopes for Coles at the 4. Hastings is more a 3 than 4, with no meaningful playing time in two years. JMM has about the same experience as MH -- with far less upside. And who knows what we're getting with Wilmoth?

By my math that leaves us with Golden as the only proven commodity at the 4 and 5 positions in 2021. I understand Lavall wants to have a switchable, athletic position-less Team but this is just way too many question marks for my comfort. I could not imagine how this team would compete vs Teams with a front court like last year's Seton Hall squad. Oh wait, I can: Think JMM defending Mamu on the game losing shot.

In Lavall we trust, I reckon.

Lukas Harkins and willisbrown like this.
  16. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,232
    I tend to judge positions based on who a player is defending (plus I count the 3 as part of the frontcourt, so that might've been confusing in my first post), not necessarily their offensive roles - I'm a Bucks fan so I got accustomed to this theory when Giannis was technically playing point offensively but is definitely a forward by position haha.

In the case of Butler, I wouldn't be surprised to see Scooby both handle secondary playmaking duties as well as guard 4s, therefore muddying which actual position he is playing. I have said on numerous occasions that I believe him to be a 3, contrary to recruiting rankings, but he definitely can defend the 4 (and probably do so better than he defends guards at this time, hence why I categorize him as a combo forward). I definitely see him filling 1-3 role offensively, but 3-4 defensively.

With regard to Hodges, just because he wants to work on his three doesn't mean he can't play the 4 defensively. While it was at a lower level than the Big East, Hodges almost exclusively played the 4 for a very good ETSU team last year. I think he fits more as a 3 for Butler, yes, but can play as a small-ball power forward well and he's accustomed to doing so. I would love to see him improve as a shooter - obviously - but that shouldn't change his defensive position and he's so switchable that it doesn't necessarily matter. Hodges can play pretty much anywhere defensively.

Obviously, there are a lot of question marks...but right now...Golden and Hodges are the only proven commodities on the entire 2021 roster haha. The rest of the roster consists of Hastings, Mulloy, and players that we are yet to see in college. There are currently zero proven commodities at the 1 and 2 spots, as we'll have to see Tate/Harris on the court first (which is the same case with guys like Coles, Hastings, Wilmoth, JMM - who has not played enough to warrant any judgment positive or negative imo)

This season will obviously answer a lot of questions. But that's how it always is. In terms of recruiting priorities, though, I think it's fair to say that there are potential pieces at the 4/5 slots if the right players develop (JMM, Coles, Wilmoth). Not sure I see anyone on the roster becoming a true sharpshooter, hence that being first on my list - perhaps I just value shooting too much haha.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  17. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $422
    Lukas -- I think shooting is a trait that can almost never be overvalued. Having a dead-eye shooter on the floor opens up an offense in ways that simply can't be accomplished without one. It seems like this year's team will be filled with guys that can shoot and make threes, but it's hard to pencil in someone that we feel confident will provide consistent outside shooting. If no one really emerges as a threat that other teams have to game plan for shooting the ball, the offense could look pretty ugly I'm afraid.

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  18. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $399
    Granted. But JMM is on the team so they need a 5/4 too.

Ster8462 likes this.
  19. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,696
    Usually I give you grief for your posts, Title, but today I want to thank you. I appreciate your providing one thing that can unite this currently fractured board.

20. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,209

Wow...that interest list/offer list seems more expansive than I remember reading even a month or two ago. This kid is really garnering a lot of well deserved interest...it should be quite the battle to try and land him.