Josh Reed - 2022 Wing (Cincinnati)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Ster8462, Jun 25, 2021.

1. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603

That's actually a very good point. I've been starting to think the same thing lately.

Whether Butler starts having a string of good years or not, it's easy to forget that what players crave the most is playing time. From the recent schools we've lost to, what they have in common is they haven't been racking up wins, so now they have new coaches ready to offer plenty of opportunities to be on the court, with no one to wait behind. It's still possible LaVall isn't the answer, but you can't really blame him if he's telling these guys they have to wait a year before they see the floor.

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    It comes down to performance and excitement on the court too and Butler just hasn't been consistent there in the first 4 years under LJ. Performance will reflect on the guys we can get in on. Playing the transfer market will always be a thing...leaning on it heavily to me is a little risky. That's the path the are taking this year and we'll see how it ends up. It's a strategy many programs are taking.

All I know is this...this coming year depth is fine. But we have to hit on one if not two bigs come transfer time.

BoyGeoff likes this.
  3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    I'm not sure where to rank Simas yet but definitely top 75 as I think Taylor also belongs. Pierce I believe should also easily be a top 150 and DJ still has high upside of being a matching nightmare

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,938
    It's all subjective now. No need to take a gamble on someone in hopes they turn out. Let them go to ball state or Evansville and then let them transfer without sitting out. Go for sure fire recruits and react from there. Doesn't really matter if you miss initially as there will be two or three times to fix that miss.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,796
    Think Simas will contribute but lets give him time to get up to speed. Coming off a minor injury and needs to get in shape and build strength before we know what we’ve got. Lots to like but let’s not set expectations too high initially.

6. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    Scroll up and see your post from this summer about BU's interest (Simas or not). There had to have been mutual interest for Reed to visit, get an offer and BU made the cut for his top five schools.

We're simply getting out recruited so far this Fall. It's pretty easy to recognize.

7. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,566
    I literally said "Butler really liked Reed earlier in the summer, but adjusted priorities". He absolutely was someone they liked and offered, but they moved on. I didn't mention Reed again in a recruiting article after Lukosius was *officially* announced. (Reed also never visited BU)

Njie and Kelley were definitely guys they had wanted and didn't snag. I'm not denying that at all. But Fernandez/Reed were not top targets.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Daddysmack, NCJon, SnoopDawg and 9 others like this.
  8. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    You're right. No one is a priority after they decide to go somewhere else, right?

9. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    I don't believe that is what Lukas was saying. He already said in his post above that Njie and Kelley were definitely guys that Butler wanted and didn't snag; but that Fernandez and Reed were not priorities once Lukosius committed.

knobcreekfan likes this.
  10. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,646
  11. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,029
    This is correct. They were hella focused on two guys and if they got them (or one of them) great, if not that was it. No mas. The books had been closed on any others out there. The strategy is very much changing it seems. I said it yesterday but I feel it risky to put damn near all eggs in the transfer basket, but that's the idea right now with sprinkling a raw high school talent here and there. That's not going to make a lot of people happy but look for that approach. 2021 recruiting for 2022 is over mostly and we'll finish with the worst class in the conference. This is a gamble but...we'll see what happens.

Near future the guard depth is fine, but dammit the frontcourt is going to be thin. Got hit on a couple bigs there.

12. estar20dawg

Money:
    $7,273
    Well it's not all bad, if this year is a success, which I don't know why it wouldn't, we make for a very attractive transfer place. Lots of playing time, in the Big East, every game televised, with a solid core of Harris, Tate, Taylor, Thomas, Simas, Wilmoth. It's a pretty attractive pitch to make in my opinion

seadawg likes this.
  13. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,029
    Yep. Plenty of 4/5 minutes will be available. And knowing you have strong guards to help facilitate and are also threats from the outside should be attractive. The question is this in my mind-with current roster construction as it is (and will be in 2022-2023) is this strategy a one off because of a direct and obvious need or will Butler become what Nevada was/is and Arky is becoming under Muss-transfer heavy year in and year out? You have to play both games of course...but which one do they lean heavier on going forward if this strategy does work in the next 6-8 months? Will be interesting.

seadawg likes this.
  14. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603
    I personally don't believe Butler will want to be a hot bed for transfers for very long. It is indeed a strategy that needs to be played, but I doubt Collier wants to see LaVall make up a roster every year with guys they can't have for more than a season. With that said.... The landscape is getting to where if Butler does start landing higher quality recruits, they may decide to leave early anyway - The differences in recruiting philosophies are becoming smaller every year.

seadawg likes this.
  15. estar20dawg

Money:
    $7,273
    To be honest I'd rather get transfer bigs and HS guards and wings. Freshman bigs are hard to rely on and they take so much longer to get up to speed. I'd be ok going after the high end guard/wing recruiting and play the transfer big market. You can always take a shot at high upside guys aka Turnbull, Wilmoth, give them time to develop and go get a Groce or whoever

PSUButlerFan, seadawg and willisbrown like this.
  16. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,349
    My $.02, which admittedly isn't worth much, is that the best Butler players have been the HS recruits. KB, Kellan, Kelyn, etc. so, losing that pipeline would be odd. Second, LJ hasn't really shown great success in the transfer market for top-end 4-5 players. Yes, Nze is serviceable. Groce appears to be in the same mold. Jury still out on Bolden/Bo.

I'm not against a change in strategy, but with more transfers, I think you lose even more of the "Butler Way"...whether that's necessary or not remains to be seen. To be honest, personally, I thought 2022 would be LJ's best recruiting opportunity. With his ability to evaluate diamonds in the rough early and the lack of visibility thanks to Covid last year, I thought we'd be in on guys before they pop. Maybe Turnbull and Simas are those recruits, we shall see.

The stressful thing is that SO much rides on both this year's performance and LJ's work in the transfer pool next Spring. Win big and things are groovy. Strike out and we're going to drop to irrelevancy in the Big East.

My fingers are crossed.

bmradio99 likes this.
  17. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,078
  18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    I don't disagree. MY point was we have still missed on known, solid 2022 players and the consensus appears to be that Simas is the reason/answer... a kid who averaged 3 points a game last year (and doesn't exactly look physically ready to play in the BE).

The 2019 class will end up being a miss with Battle transferring & JMM flopping. The 2020 class will end up being underwhelming with Coles & Scooby not working out. 2021 has three kids that weren't in the Top 200 nationally.

This 2022 class is off to a very slow start. If people can't see the recruiting trend right now, you're not paying attention.

19. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $811
    I don't disagree with you that at this time 2022 is not looking great. But if you are going to bring up the fact that the three kids in 2021 weren't in in the Top 200 nationally, then I'm not sure how losing Chas Kelley should matter, considering that he was 285 in the 247Sports Composite. Now he may skyrocket upwards in the next rankings but who knows.

knobcreekfan, 2xDawg and Tentozen like this.
  20. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,803
    Player rankings are arbitrary and subjective at best, especially after those considered to be top 50 and even more so after top 100. Players may excel pending on the program they choose to be a part of. Most coaches know what they are looking for. As fans, we're guilty for our desire of immediate impact players. Younger players often lack patience to take time develop. Both Kebba and Kelly probably needed at least a least year to make the transition to the college level, if not more. Coles was a major loss for BU's program IMO. It would be naive to think the Johnson ordeal didn't allow for Coles decision to transfer be an easier one. There is still no reason to panic just yet, not with the new NCAA transfer rules. BU simply needs to win games in 2021. The alternative is really not an option.

knobcreekfan, 2xDawg and Tiles52 like this.