Kamar Baldwin - 2016 Shooting Guard (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by Jared Grubbs, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $49
  2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,169
    You're faster than me! :D Guess that's why you are a Super Moderator! :D

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    Quite an honor. Wonder how many were invited and how much of the symposium was devoted to the student part? Love to see a list of attendees.

4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,255
  5. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $31
    IMG_2427.JPG Kamar is only 65 votes away of being crowned fan pre-season Player of the Year. 14 hours left to vote on Twitter @BIGEASTMBB

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Daddysmack likes this.
  6. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,367
    Dakich called Kamar the most clutch player in college basketball today when talking to LaVall.

7. ButlerFan89

ButlerFan89 New Member

Money:
    $31
    IMG_2428.JPG we’ll see if splitting the vote on Twitter, along with winning FB, and not sure how KB ended on IG gets him the fan POTY pre-season award.

8. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,921
    Butler has averaged about 34 games played per season the last several years. If Kamar plays through his senior year and remains healthy, that'd mean he's got about 63 games remaining for Butler.

He's got 1011 points. The Butler record is 2321. He's averaging 20 points per game so far this season. If he averages 21 ppg and plays 63 games, he'll become the all time leading Butler scorer.

It's probably not likely he gets there, but it's certainly within reach... That'd be pretty cool to see.

knobcreekfan and znelson15 like this.
  9. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,143
    Very interesting thought. Just hope he stays healthy, plays all those games for Butler, & has a chance.

10. znelson15

znelson15 Active Member

Money:
    $364
    I so hope he can accomplsish this
    But
    Whatever comes from Baldwin in the next two years (this year and next)
    He will go down as my fav butler player of all time
    He has and is everything I would look for in a basketball player and person

GoodDawgs, shoeevv and BHayden like this.
  11. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,169
    I really like KB...but I am not ready to say he is my favorite of all time.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Tentozen

Tentozen Active Member

Money:
    $534
    Agreed; have to go with Matt Howard.

SpartanDawgs and ButlerNut like this.
  13. ButlerNut

Money:
    $4,169
    So many played with such heart and exemplified the Butler Way...Matt is definitely one of them.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tentozen and Insane Dawg like this.
  14. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $409
    Without a doubt Kamar Baldwin is the best player on our team. However, he is not the best player in the Big East and he is not 1st team all conference at the moment. He may not even be 2nd team. That's a significant departure from where we thought he would be this year and that has drastic consequences for our season. Simply put, if he is playing well we win.

So what is happening? I believe it was @Hinkle that mentioned 40% of Kamar's 2pt fga are jumpers. That got me wanting to do some digging and I've compared a bunch of advanced stats for a few guards in the BE and also compared this season Kamar to last season. It is clear from the table that Kamar is under performing offensively against other guards in the conference and I think much of that is because he should be shooting way more 3s and less 2pt jumpers. But therein lies a dilemma as he's shooting horribly from three this year (8.5 percentile). Could you imagine how bad his rating would be if 53.3% of his fga were 3s like Markus Howard? I believe this is the difficulty in coaching and scheming for Kamar and LJ wouldn't be alone in struggling to find the right way to utilise him but this is critical to our success.

In our six losses Kamar's offensive rating is 89.0 (SHU), 88.7 (Hoyas), 61.1 (UF), 80.8 (IU), 34.4 (SLU), 68.2 (Dayton). He also seems to struggle against better competition with offensive rating of 88.3 (Top 100 games) and 86.5 (Top 50) in those games. We'll never win with those kind of numbers from him. He and LJ have to figure this out. It's hard to take the ball out of his hands because he can create his own shot but at the same time he doesn't shoot well enough to allow 26 fga. Instead he seems to be much more efficient around 12-15 fga per game, which leads to another dilemma. We have to be playing well enough as a team offensively so that there is no need for Kamar to take an additional 5 fga per game because he's not very good with those additional attempts. Yet he is our main offensive threat and highest usage player with the offense geared around him. The table below shows he is just not that good of an offensive player, period, but I watch him play and its hard to imagine he isn't.

kamar stats.png

I'm not aiming to be overly critical but more trying to diagnose what's happening and provide some context. Let's hope he gets it turned around and we've seen the end of the bad offensive outings.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  15. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,201
  16. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,472
    shoeevv likes this.