Kebba Njie - 2022 Forward (Penn State)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Lukas Harkins, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Ster8462

Ster8462 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $791
    So although he plays high school ball in Indiana I believe his family lives in Dayton.

Gives us the edge for his family traveling to see live games. Two hours vs six hours.

Feel we have been on him the longest of the two schools I feel this is coming down to.

Comes down to what is important to him?
    Who knows what that is. We will find out no later than Saturday at noon.

This is a Top 100 guy and a guy that really fills a need for us. Let’s hope we get this guy.

seadawg likes this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,029
    If he does indeed go to PSU, I believe we'll have then 4 open spots for the 22-23 season. That's a lot. I like the idea of playing the transfer market...not sure I'm there yet in damn near 100% relying on it. But, that's the direction this is going so I suppose I'll get used to it.

3. 314Dawg

314Dawg New Member

Money:
    $33
    Is it a possibility it was his plan to make a decision soon after he completed all of his OVs? And Penn State just ended up being his final visit. Trying to be optimistic on this one.

4. Ster8462

Money:
    $791
    Depends how many scholarships schools are allowed next basketball season. Without Kebba we currently sit at 15 scholarship players this year and we definitely lose 6 seniors this year (Thompson, David, Nze, Bolden, Hodges,
    Groce) and gain Turnbull.

Currently 10 players on roster for 2022-2023 season. Would prefer to go into Spring with 2 openings as no guarantee we won’t lose someone else via transfer.

nNew rules will make it more challenging on coaches as more moving pieces in recruiting game.

5. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,566
    Three* if Bryce Golden elects to use his extra year.

6. Ster8462

Money:
    $791
    Absolutely possible but the question then begs to be asked is big time football important to him because likely he could’ve lined something up in August to go to Penn State prior to college football season. Dang I’ve got to remember we have had a solid summer recruiting season with Simas and Turnbull, but this would be the cherry on top.

Will likely be headed to 247 and Twitter frequently over the next 48 hours and 28 minutes to see if some tea leaves start coming out!!!!

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,273
    Pretty sure Golden's wouldn't count if he elected to stay here, it would count if he transferred somewhere else

Sent from my SM-G986U using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,566
    Duh. Yes, you’re correct. My bad.

still important to note Golden as his return changes the necessary needs a tad.

Tentozen and estar20dawg like this.
  9. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,803
    Golden could elect to leave pending on how the season goes for him, but he has a great relationship with LJ. So based on that, I feel
    he will take advantage of additional year.

2xDawg likes this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $19,633
    So… on the one hand, you have a kid coming off a visit in a rocking stadium with other top basketball recruits who sets his decision day, and the biggest selling point Butler has was on the sidelines in a PSU hat…

On the other, I texted some PSU basketball peeps, and they have no idea but generally in these situations default to the better program, which is Butler.

PSU really wants him at the 4 and hope that gets them to land Lively (#3 overall player according to rivals whose mom works for the PSU athletic dept).

11. seadawg

Money:
    $9,803
    Relationships with coaching staffs, playing time and academics should be the only valid reasons for his decision. There are additional considerations but a rocking football stadium is not one them IMO.

12. bu2013

bu2013 Active Member

Money:
    $414
    All that stuff is important but not considering the culture/environment of the school would be an odd move for a teenager

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,938
    Schrews also has 1st hand knowledge of the +/- of Butler (even though they have changed since his time here) to use in how he pitches PSU.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    There’s almost zero chance that he pitched against Butler to get a kid to come to Penn State.

Besides it being a bit dirty, why would he? It is a completely different college experience. All you need to do is sell that one better.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

seadawg likes this.
  15. seadawg

Money:
    $9,803
    What is the culture PSU basketball? I like Schrews and he does have understanding of BU. I can appreciate his desire to change the culture at PSU, but that will not be an easy task and does not happen overnight.

16. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $19,633
    Culture is - one NCAAT in 2011 in the last 20 years, and won the NIT twice (09 and 18).

It’s a school with fans that don’t care Bc the team is a loser and the admin never financially supported it Bc it made money so they were happy.

That changed with hiring Shrews. And the fans will show up if they are good. I graduated in 09, and that run was fun. The team was good, and fans packed our crappy arena for the first time in a long time.

So this kid will play in a packed arena if the team is good Bc the fans will be there. It’s a bit harder for the midweek games Bc so many of our alums live in Pittsburgh and Philly and wont make that drive for a basketball game in the middle of the week, but the weekend games will be rockin. And there’s enough fans in the local areas and as far as Williamsport that will come in on a weeknight if the team is good.

And a wild Beaver Stadium is an easy sell for Shrews… “See kid, look how passionate these fans are. They will be cheering for you on the basketball court”. Every kid wants a loud and fun atmosphere filled with passionate fans.

To your other points:
    Relationship with staff - coin flip. Only he knows
    Playing Time - also hard to say. Probably slight edge to PSU since we need someone to step in
    Academics - we have a major advantage here (not saying Butler is a bad school, but we have way more resources, alumni, and brand recognition globally).

Dont forget location - closer to Butler, so his family can get to games. Loooong trip to central PA

2xDawg and dawgs2014 like this.
  17. seadawg

Money:
    $9,803
    Points taken and I sincerely hope Kebba makes the best decision for himself.

2xDawg likes this.
  18. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $19,633
    Yeah I mean… if there’s nothing else to do late at night and the Penn State basketball game is on, I’ll tune in to the second half if it’s close.

I watch almost every Butler game.

Take from that what you will :)

19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    I think the academics point is a major misconception.

Butler has strong academics. I don’t have any issues saying the average Butler kid gets a better education than the average Penn State kid. I’d guess it’s not particularly close even.

I’m not sure how much academics *really* matter for revenue sport athletes though. As PSU said, the alumni base of a Penn State versus a Butler far more than compensates for any education quality in terms of job placement.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

20. PSUButlerFan

Money:
    $19,633
    There is zero fact behind this statement and zero way to prove this. Usually you base things in fact… this was not that.

I have never seen Butler listed on any rankings of top schools. I don’t mean this as a shot against Butler, but I have never seen it. I’m genuinely curious as to why? Anyone have any insight?

When I was a student, PSU was consistently around 40 or low 40s and about 5th/6th in the Big Ten (Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Illinois were usually the top 4) in like US News or similar rankings.