Kelan Martin - 2014 Forward (Signed)

Discussion in 'Former Bulldogs' started by bd5, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Other than Jalen Brunson he is the best player in the BE. Not even close. Unfortunately surrounding cast wasn't there.

#60 likes this.
  2. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,186
    Whoops...I just posted this also in the Big East Conversation thread.

Unanimous choice. Well deserved. Still don't know how to get that into a National Spotlight.

#60 likes this.
  3. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $461
    Do you know how easy it would be for Kelan to score if he had DeVincenzo, Spellman, Booth, and Bridges? I know the argument is how efficient Brunson is, but he's not forced to take the bad shots that Kelan needs to because of his supporting cast. Don't get me wrong, I think Brunson is a terrific player, but I wish Kelan got more national love. I'm obviously bias, but I think he should be on the get consideration for the All-American second/third teams.

Kelan put this team on his back. Without him this season would have been a disaster. He may not win POY in the big east, but he was definitely the MVP. No team, outside of St. John's, had one player they relied on as much as Butler.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  4. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $411
    Kudos to Kelan for being named first team All Big East. Excluding Kelan, how many of Butler's other starters do people really feel would crack the starting line-up of most of the other Big East teams. Outside of possibly DePaul, I'm not seeing where Tyler, Sean & Aaron would be starting; and depending on the team, I'm not so sure about Kamar. Most of the other teams have bigger, more athletic players at almost every position. Butler has won when they have been shooting lights out and/or when they have been able to play lock-down defense. In my opinion, when those two things are missing, our starters just don't match up with the starters on the other teams in the Big East. So to finish 9-9 in the conference is probably quite an accomplishment. I'm sure that there are some of you who will disagree with this assessment.

Tybuhoops and Insane Dawg like this.
  5. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $461
    I agree with those statements to a degree. I think they could all be great starting role players on a team, but not all 3 at the same time like it is now. Side notes on that comment though:

1. Aaron Thompson will be an all big east type player when it's all said and done. He's one of the most vocal leaders on this team and he's a freshman. I like everything about his game, except his lack of a jumper.
    2. I think Sean is underrated, if the announcers didn't call Fowler's name every time he did something, we might notice it more. He's a great rebounder and has pretty good size for the 3. He just needs to work on his lateral quickness.
    3. What Tyler Wideman has been able to do with his size is remarkable. He fights every night and is as scrappy as it gets.
    a. How would a lineup look with him and Fowler in at the same time? Wideman, Fowler, Martin, Baldwin, PJ/Sean (instead of AT, to space the court). Might really be worth a try at times against Seton Hall.

6. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $411
    I don't disagree with what you are saying, I think they all have done a pretty decent job considering the limitations each one has; I am just having a hard time looking at the starting line-ups of the other teams and figuring out who each of them would replace in the starting line-ups of those teams.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  7. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Hate to respond to this in Kelan's thread but you are absolutely right. The earlier KB could start for a number of BE teams but the others would probably not even see much playing time let alone start.

8. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,167
    Congrats to Kelen, thanks for a great four years you will be missed. Best of luck the rest of the season wherever it leads and I hope you accomplish your
    dream of a basketball future.

9. harvesting

harvesting Member VIP Member

Money:
    $168
    Your forum name is so fitting for you. I think that almost every time I read one of you posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

huss587 likes this.
  10. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,002
    1A7AA5F0-CE32-46F7-BC0E-2EC5863925A4.jpeg

So these numbers are a bit out of date since this was posted during the game...

But damn that’s a hell of career. One of the best Dawgs ever!

11. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,477

ButlerNut and seadawg like this.
  12. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Sting has worn off a little bit. Remember waiting to hear if Kelan was coming to Butler when he made his announcement and just felt it was foreshadowing of great things to come. Looking back, this young man really anchored a program going through transition and while that will never be on a stat sheet somewhere, can't understate the loyalty that he has shown this program. Anytime he wanted to transfer during all the coaching changes, there would have no doubt been high pedigree suitors at the door and the fact he stayed made all the difference. All-American in my book.

bwesson15, DawgPoundMac, fdr and 13 others like this.
  13. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $388
    woops

BHayden, mass_dawgs, #60 and 2 others like this.
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    Without a doubt he should have been named on All American teams. Ridiculous that he wasn't particularly when you look at his stats versus some of those that were named.

harvesting likes this.
  15. NateDog

NateDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $539
    http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Mock Draft updated right before the tournament has Kelan going 46th overall. Since then he averaged 28 points & 7 boards on 53% shooting in two tournament games. In regards to being drafted, think it's fair to say he's got a good shot.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    It's bizarre to think there are 45 better prospects than Kelan. But then again the NBA is pretty much a thunder dunkers and three point shooters game and Kelan is not a thunder dunker. So I guess it makes sense.

17. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    Be honest. When's the last time you watched an entire NBA game, start to finish? Don't lie.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,242
    Since our season has ended & I figure it's okay to fully vet Kelan's draft prospects, I have to say that I don't get the attitudes of many outside (or commenting on) our program that Kelan can't/won't be drafted.

The links above cite sites that have him going in the second round. Not guaranteed money, but a guarantee that the team drafting said player--Kelan, in this case--will give him a legit chance to make its roster. And a guarantee that Kelan will be making money playing post-collegiate basketball somewhere. (Compared to us "average Joes," he'll probably be paid nicely doing so.)

Before completing his tear thru the Big East & scoring/rebounding as he did in the NCAAT (plus his comportment off the court), most sites had him being drafted. Others players may have had great years, but 1) these players' "potential" is already factored into these Mock Drafts & 2) I don't see numerous players still competing in the NCAAT--& maybe some overseas--who will "miraculously" leap frog Kelan's present opportunity.

I may be wrong. I've been wrong many times in my life. But I think Kelan will be on the NBA draft board this summer. (I really like the idea of Kelan being drafted by the Spurs & playing for Pop! 2nd link.)

https://thesixersense.com/2018/01/29/philadelphia-76ers-top-2018-nba-draft-prospects-big-east/
    http://www.nbadraftroom.com/p/2018-2nd-round.html
    http://www.nbadraftroom.com/2017/08/prospect-corner-1on1-with-kelan-martin.html
    http://www.nbadraft.net/nba_mock_drafts/consensus

19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,653
    At least twenty years ago when I was a guest in a sky box at a Memphis playoff game. Food was great as were the drinks and the organ music. No I'll take that back several years ago I went to see the Jazz and Gordon Hayward play in San Antonio. The Jazz were up by about 40 at half time and Hayward played less than a quarter because he was tired. Cost me $600 for three tickets. Actually we left after half time. So yes it has to have been over twenty years ago. Honest injun! I know the NBA plays on TV but I cancel my sports pass after the NCAA tournament and reinstate it in November. Have no idea who is on top of the NBA but I do notice the top thunder dunks on ESPN's top ten plays of the day.

Did read a WSJ article that said the GSW are shooting more twos again compared to Houston which is shooting less mid range jump shots than any team in over six years. Can't blame them as the league average points for taking a mid range shot is .8 points, a three is 1.09 points and in the paint 1.24 points. How are those advanced metrics for you?

20. fdr

fdr Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    I watch a lot of NBA basketball. Probably too much. I'm also a season ticket holder at BU. Kelan might get drafted in the back end of the second round, but it's also a very real possibility that he goes undrafted. The NBA draft is all about upside, size, and athleticism. Unfortunately, Kelan doesn't really impress in any of those areas. He's just too small and too slow to play 2-4 in the league. He'll definitely make a summer league roster, but if I were him I'd go overseas and get paid six figures rather than toil in the G league for ~$50k.