Kelan Martin - 2014 Forward (Signed)

Discussion in 'Current Butler Players' started by bd5, Mar 7, 2013.

1. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,812
    So...just so I am clear, Tyler Wideman won the BE Sportsmanship Award (well-deserved) AND Kelan Martin went onto Purdue's bus to wish them luck? That's two seniors that 350 other schools should be lucky they ever get!

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,187
    Understood. Full disclosure, I've been a Lakers fan since Kareem was traded there in my youth & both the ABA & NBA were about to merge. (I still pay attention to how the Pacers are playing from this side of the country.) I watch the Lakers quite often & think they'll truly be competitive in about 2 or 3 years, depending on the team's development of its deep/good crop of young talent & free agency. So I follow & comprehend The Association.

Kelan's best chances will likely be to mirror Shelvin's career in many ways & to become a serviceable, dependable professional. Whether he's drafted or not has SO many variables--many of these variables presently playing league ball overseas. More than what's happening with players Stateside, which is pretty much cemented into teams'/scouts' impressions, who chooses to be available from foreign squads & what risks teams are willing to take on them will affect Kelan's prospects.

But steadily being listed by most sites as a 2nd Round pick--the place of his pick varying quite a bit--pretty much guarantees a camp invite & summer ball. This may lead to his release & being picked up by another team, D--oops, sorry--G League participation or an invitation from an "A" League team overseas (depending on his summer play). Though the comparison isn't fair (but we know the mentalities of the "professional sports journalists" making the comparison), if Kelan plays like a "mini-Paul Pierce" in summer ball, he'll have a handful of options.

3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,449
    Not getting drafted does have its advantages. You get to pick your team and you can potentially sign for more money. But there’s nothing like being wanted somewhere. Plus, it gives you more leeway to make mistakes. Kelan’s biggest issue is guarding in space. There’s a lot more room to work and more players in the Association. Hopefully, he’ll find the right situation and stick.

#60 likes this.
  4. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $964
    I'm pretty confident Kelan will do well at whatever he chooses, basketball or otherwise. Anyone who can grow and mature as much as he has in these past 4 years is well equipped to succeed in life. He has been a credit to this school
    and has earned the respect of everyone who watched him develop. We can only hope those following him in this program will be even half as big an asset as he has been.

5. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $955
    Unfortunately (though not unexpectedly or undeservedly) Mikal Bridges won the Julius Erving Award

6. Mad_Dawg 48

Mad_Dawg 48 Member VIP Member

Money:
    $47
  7. DawgsMD

DawgsMD Forum Psychiatrist VIP Member

Money:
    $1,169
    Insane Dawg likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,116
    Going to miss Kelan! He was an amazing Bulldog who was screwed by not being named All American.

#60 and WestLoopDog like this.
  9. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,768

#60 likes this.
  10. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,812
    Well...at least one wish came true for Kelan!

TrillwaukeeDawg and DawgsMD like this.

#60 Active Member

Money:
    $1,187
    EXCELLENT--for both of the guys in the photo!

butlernut likes this.
  12. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,768

#60 and Lukas Harkins like this.
  13. Irishdawg

Money:
    $955
  14. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,116
    Are there 60 better prospects?

15. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,424
    sports illustrated released their final 100 prospests yesterday and Kelan wasn't even on there. Are you kidding me? Not in the top offer 100...

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

16. Irishdawg

Money:
    $955
    I think if the question was, are there 60 better college basketball players, I would resoundingly say no. Prospects though are based mostly on potential, and unfortunately, yeah, there probably are 60 players with greater physical attributes than what Kelan has.

I do think the fact that he worked out for 40% of the league's teams is a good sign that there's at least some genuine interest in him, but ultimately, I don't think that results in him being drafted.

I know a lot of us also believe Baldwin to have some kind of potential to leave for the NBA after this season as well, but he'll still have to have an unbelievable year, even with what many consider to be a very weak draft class in 2019 to be considered a 2nd round pick, let alone a first round one, IMO.

fdr and SpartanDawgs like this.
  17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,116
    Was Bluiett?

18. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,424
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $10,116
    Looking at SI list of NBA prospects I wonder why players listed at 14, 16, 23,24, 35,36 and 39 are that attractive. Guess it is age, upside and whatever.

20. WestLoopDog

WestLoopDog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,458
    I see that Darius Thompson made the list at #90. Even though I know he won't get drafted by an NBA team, it is ironic. I remember some voices on this site complaining that he shouldn't have received an offer from Butler, because he wasn't good enough to play at the BE level.