Kelan Martin and the NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, May 9, 2018.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Active Member

Money:
    $231
    WestLoopDog likes this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,355
    I can see Kelan making it. He has the attitude and is putting in the effort. He will find a way to make up for the lack of quickness and jumping ability prized in the NBA.

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  3. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Super Moderator VIP Member

Money:
    $1,068
    I wouldn't be surprised if he was able to because the league loves scorers, but he is going to have to focus much more on getting his defense up to snuff, since he'll be a small 3 in the league.

Eric likes this.
  4. Dogweed

Dogweed Member

Money:
    $106
    I think he could be a good off the bench scorer for the Pacers. Wouldn’t that be awesome?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,757
    The power of positive wishful thinking...

6. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $327
    Small 3 at 6’7 230ish? Seems like enough size to me. Guys with his size and strength are small ball 4s in a lot of lineups.

I agree though, got to continue to get better as a defender. Made many strides in his time at Butler, so no doubt he will work at it.

Showed a little more as a playmaker this year as well, which he will need to continue to get better at.

At the end of the day though, whether Kelan can make a roster/see any minutes will depend largely IMO on how well he can shoot the 3 at the next level. If he’s a 36-38% shooter from 3, he can stick in the NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $271
    The two way contracts were made for players like Kelan. He just needs to work on foot speed. We know he can score, and the game will always be about buckets.

8. ArizonaXU

ArizonaXU New Member

Money:
    $34
    So I know a player on the outside looking in, played at Kentucky and currently finishing up his season in Europe.

NBA loves two way deals, if they bring the guy up they just cut him before he passes that magic game number. They can hire a new player at the skill level easily. This saves them money.

I would like to know if any team actually triggered that for any two way player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $271
    The Pacers had Alex Poythress on a 2 way at the start of the year but they eventually signed him to a 2 year deal. I think Quinn Cook for the Warriors might have been the same deal.

10. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,502
    The Pacers best player was on 2 week (after being on a 2 week w Minnesota) last season before being signed for 3 yr $12mm

11. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $951
    Interesting. Does anyone know for sure whether Kelan has a 7’3” wingspan? I saw this one other time and ignored it because I thought it was crazy.

12. NateDog

NateDog Active Member

Money:
    $353
    Yeah I don't really understand that either. Mikal Bridges is listed as having a 7' wingspan, Kameron Woods had a 7'3 wingspan. I see no way Kelan has a 7'3 wingspan... Not sure where that's coming from.

13. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $231
    This was his measurement at the PIT after the season.

14. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,716
    That’s tied for 3rd out of all of those players. He’s 6’5.5” but a 7’3” wingspan? A +9.5” wingspan? That’s an insane differential that would be immediately noticeable. No way that is Martin. Somebody must have screwed up.

BHayden likes this.
  15. Lukas Harkins

Money:
    $231
    I felt like that had to be a mistake as well haha. Until further notice, though...:p

16. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $176
    I've always thought Kelan had really long hands and I guess he has broad shoulders, but he sure doesn't look like the typical gumby-arm guys that have 7'+ wingspans while in the 6'6"-6'8" height range.

17. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,502
    “Indiana lists him at 6-foot-8 and 235 pounds with a purported 7-foot-6 wingspan, numbers which essentially break the DraftExpress physical measurements database. There are 10 players listed on DraftExpress with arms as long as Anunoby. They are all at least 7 feet tall, and they all play center. None of them play out on the perimeter.

There’s only one other prospect in recent years who has come close to Anunoby’s dimensions and skill set. Bruno Caboclo, who was taken 20th overall by the Raptors in 2014, is also rumored to have a 7-foot-6 wingspan, but he isn’t listed at DraftExpress because no one expected him to be drafted, and he has played 66 minutes in his first two seasons in the NBA.“

https://www.theringer.com/2016/11/10/16044662/og-anunoby-hype-killer-a90bda92fced

OG looks like Gumby. Kelan May have a long wingspan , but not 7’3”

MIBulldog likes this.
  18. cornette33

cornette33 Active Member

Money:
    $462
    Apparently Kelan is also Stretch Armstrong.

On a side note, has anyone seen any mocks with him in it? I have not. Hopefully I am wrong.

19. peeps112

peeps112 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    He really needs to work on his handles and dribbling. Think he has a shot to stick eventually.

20. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,648
    I think he needs to understand that he can’t dribble in traffic against professionals when he couldn’t do it against college competition.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

Tark43 and cornette33 like this.