Kelan Martin and the NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by Lukas Harkins, May 9, 2018.

1. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
    I can’t think of anyone off the top of my head that went from college to Europe to the NBA. I’m sure it’s happened, but it’s not very common. I don’t expect him back in the league, and that’s ok. He’s just not built to be a big time scorer against that level of competition, and he should go where he can be a #1 or #2 scoring option, because that’s what his game is. He’s not a guy cut out to be a role player taking 5 shots a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,084
    Beasely is maybe the closest or Brandon Jennings maybe?

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    The Pacers sent Antonio Davis to Europe to get some experience, but that was a long time ago.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,269
    Udonis Haslem is the only college player I can think of who went undrafted, played overseas and came back to an NBA career. I am sure there are others, but they are rare, especially now that the G League offers a legit chance to develop back home.

5. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,949
    Jennings went overseas for a year instead of college, so that’s different. Beasley played a few years in the NBA. I’m sure it’s easier for guys if they’ve been in the league before. The older Kelan gets the harder it’s going to be for him to make the NBA. His best chance was probably this year.

6. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,297
    It's definitely rare. Walt Lemon is the first name that comes to mind for me who has done it (from undrafted to international to a two-way) but I think that's because he only signed a contract like a week ago. Lemon was awesome in the SL. Wishing Kelan the best overseas and I hope he carves out a long career there.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  7. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,639
    Could Kelan play in Germany then come back and play in the G League? Surely if Rose Jones and Kam could play in the G League I would think Kelan could,

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,525
    May have to take a cut in salary?

9. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
    Birdman technically did it.

10. Denverdawg

Denverdawg Member

Money:
    $58
    I think Ryan Broekhoff (Valpo) and Brad Wanamaker (Pitt) have both recently signed deals after going undrafted and playing in Europe, so here’s hoping it is becoming more of a trend, but doubt that’s the case with the G league.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,613
    The BE scoring champ isn't built score against good players? Interesting take.

12. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,525
    As talented as Kelan may be, he simply lacks athletic ability. IMHO

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,035
    I don’t think that’s necessarily what he’s saying. I have no doubt kelan could put up some points in the nba. But it’s unlikely he would do it at a high enough level, efficiently, when guarded by the length and athleticism of nba small forwards. Scoring is sort of the extent of what he can offer at that level, so if he’s not spectacular at it, it’s not enough. I think what Jared is saying is that kelan isn’t cut out to be a guy who is going to give you 8–3-3 on 6 field goal attempts as someone’s 4th scoring option. He’s not a passer and unfortunately he’s not built to be a great defender or rebounder in the nba. He’s simply not a role player.

14. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,035
    I think this is basically right..Which is crazy, because in the real world he’s an insanely gifted athlete. It just underscores how crazy of an athlete you have to be to make it in the nba.

15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,639
    He is more athletic and well rounded than Bluiett who got a contract. Kelan didnt play his game in the summer tournament like he did at Butler and thus his stats weren't impressive. For some reason Bluiett did. Kelan isn't as athletic as the typical NBA player which may be why Shelvin Mack can't stay in one place for more than a year. Shelvin's stats per minute played appear to be good but he doesn't excite the fans. Kelan should be able to make well into six figures plus a car and housing allowance while enjoying Europe for the next ten years or so. Beats most careers coming out of college.

16. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,035
    I agree. Martin is a far more well-rounded player and a superior athlete. Blueitt was a more consistent shooter and efficient scorer in college. But I think it more just comes down to the fact that Blueitt played great this summer. He's not an NBA player, but good for him for getting a spot for a bit. He played well enough to have someone roll the dice.

17. ArizonaXU

ArizonaXU New Member

Money:
    $37
    Isaiah Briscoe out of Kentucky played in Estonia last year and is not on Orlando’s roster. He is athletic but can’t shoot.

Bluiett, I think GMs have him pegged. He is shooter only but is a great shooter. He has to play defense to have a chance at the league. Macura, as much as you hate has a better chance. He has a good mix of everything.

Martin though, something has to be up with him, I honestly thought he had a better shot because of size, defense and scoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  18. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    The ol stats per minute argument. Not gonna say anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

Hinkle and NCJon like this.
  19. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $510
    Blueitt's a guy that could come off the bench and make a career of 10-20 mins a night banging in a few 3s. There's a place for a guy like that in the league if he can do so consistently.

I'm sure Kelan had G League offers- but money talks

20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,639
    You just did. Mack's stats keep him in the league but not consistently on the same team because he doesn't dunk the ball. That is what the fans want to see.