Khalif Battle - 2019 Guard (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by bd5, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Lukas Harkins

Lukas Harkins Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,197
    Where are people getting 6-foot-6 from? I’ve only ever seen him listed between 6-3 and 6-5.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,443
    He will most certainly get an opportunity. The ratings and stars aside, BU needs a player who can play and will work hard to improve.

3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,036
    He was at 6'3 last year, he's has grown a lot since that last measurement. I think he's probably 6'5 right now and 6'6 definitely with the hair ;)

BHayden and 2xDawg like this.
  4. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    This is exactly what I'm talking about, though. His ceiling next year is probably being what PJ was this year. If you think his floor is that of a 39% three point shooting fifth-year senior, there is literally a 95%+ chance you're going to be disappointed.

I have really high hopes for Khalif...in about 2021.

Heck, a great example of what I'm talking about was right before our eyes last season. Jordan Tucker was ranked higher than Battle and even had a year+ of college practices under his belt, and he was still the least efficient offensive player we had and his defense, well, we know about that. Freshmen (almost always) suck. It's just the way it is.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    dawgs2014, Insane Dawg and SnoopDawg like this.
  5. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,443
    It's easy to predict there will be some inconsistent play but I would expect some reasonable amount of highlights also.

6. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,569
    The new unproven guy is always better than the returnees to some

DawgPoundMac and seadawg like this.
  7. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,036
    I'm just strictly talking about PJ's streakyness. If you don't think he will have the same kind of impact as PJ than we are in deep, deep trouble next year because the staff is banking on him being as good or better than PJ with the lack of additional guard transfer pieces. And I have him shooting 37% from 3 next year.

8. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Meh. Kamar Baldwin made significant contributions as a freshman, so I don't think it's unreasonable for Battle to at least come in here and be a solid 6th man or something.

9. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,908
    Absolutely. I’ve been saying that a Jordan Tucker like season is actually my expectation for Battle. I actually believe Battle is a better recruit than Tucker, even if he isn’t ranked as high.

One thing I will say about Battle that makes me hope he can have an impact faster is that he does have a high basketball IQ. He understands things like generating proper angles for entry passes and other bothering skills like that. You can tell he grew up in a basketball family.

My only concern is the low motor I saw in EYBL. I’ve never gotten any responses from his coaches and I don’t have his contact info, so I don’t know if there is a reason for it. He could have been battling injuries for all I know. Or maybe since he was already committed he just didn’t really care about EYBL. If motor isn’t an issue he’s going to be one of the best we’ve ever seen at Butler. Which still doesn’t mean he will be good as a freshman (see Kelan Martin).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

BHayden, bwesson15, Hinkle and 3 others like this.
  10. estar20dawg

Money:
    $3,036
    Jared, last year he was still dealing with his ailing back due to complications of his growth spurt. He was significantly debilitated and had his first full year of good health this year and is finally maturing into his new frame.

& I 100% agree regardless of rankings he is a way better recruit than Tucker due to IQ and pedigree

BHayden likes this.
  11. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    Kamar was the most impactful freshman we've had in the last decade, though, so it's unreasonable to set expectations at that level for any freshman.

12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I think we’re all excited but, if he has a Tucker like season that’s absolutely incredible since at times Tucker looked like the best player on the floor. If a freshman ever had that look, they’re a special one.

I think Elijah Brown as a freshman is much more likely than Paul Jorgensen as a senior. I expect a lot of turnovers, some ill advised shots, a number of defensive lapses that get him pulled, and a lot of glimpses Of the overall talent level that has us so excited.

If he can put it together by February/March it will be really exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

13. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,998
    Exactly. Kelan was one of the great Butler players of all time. And still - he was not a good freshman.

14. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Hopefully, on defense as well compared to Tucker.

15. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,951
    I'm pretty sure this was Rolf Van Rijn's nickname his senior year...

16. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,951
    [​IMG]

Lukas Harkins likes this.
  17. Mad_Dawg 48

Mad_Dawg 48 Member VIP Member

Money:
    $98
  18. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,695
    I have a feeling that this young man will be a favorite of many of us very quickly! Impressed with every thing I see from him...

BNiche likes this.
  19. BHayden

BHayden Active Member

Money:
    $449
    bwesson15, Shimmy, #60 and 3 others like this.
  20. Mad_Dawg 48

Mad_Dawg 48 Member VIP Member

Money:
    $98

I can’t wait to see this kid play at Hinkle.