Khalif Battle - 2019 Guard (Signed)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by bd5, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Dawgedd

Dawgedd Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,194
    At 330ish he drains about a 35 footer. Not sure his 3 pt stats but it does appear he could stretch the floor while also being explosive driving to the rim

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    It is.

UDDawg likes this.
  3. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    The twitter tea leaves are encouraging---Battle followed McDermott within the last 24 hrs.

Daddysmack likes this.
  4. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    One other thing on Battle--I like his size for a guard (he is listed at 6'4"). His brother at Cuse is 6'6" so he could grow an inch or two and really be a long guard. Not sure of his defensive acumen but seems like that length could be a problem especially when against smaller guards

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,650
    Also looks like he could learn how to kick his leg out on his jumper like Bluiett. I like number 22 in white too.

6. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,779
    Ha, you've got a good eye for talent. I'm pretty sure that's Cam Reddish, #2 player in 2018 class going to Duke.

7. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    I would guess if Battle commits (which I would be very happy about), that would likely mean that Butler would be out on Franklin.

I also think folks are forgetting about Henry Baddley. He'll be a Senior when Battle's a freshman (assuming there is a commitment coming), so I wouldn't bank on him just giving up his spot to the younger guy.

8. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    You may be right but LaValls offensive plan may have more flexibility between positions and allow for 3 guards or other non traditional combinations. Especially with the 6’4” size of Franklin and Battle allowing them to guard some opposing 3s. So he might target Franklin even if we get Battle. We will lose at least 1 guard next year (and Baldwin might have the chance to go pro if he makes a jump this season). As far as Baddley—he doesn’t really drive and handle the ball whereas Battle and Franklin seem more comfortable with the ball in their hands so they could certainly play together. Point being, if they think Franklin is the best prospect they still might prioritize him. But yeah, you certainly could be right.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  9. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    Where is Jerry's prediction?

10. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $72
    Certainly possible to keep going after Franklin, and there were plenty of times last year where Butler had 3 guards in the game, but they'll likely have Tucker at the 3 for 2 years as well, not to mention David, JBG, possibly Hastings at times, etc. I'm putting the cart way before the horse right now though. Hopefully these predictions are a sign of good things to come and ultimately means that Butler will land Battle, who would be the 2nd highest rated player since Brunk (247 composite) since joining the Big East.

SpartanDawgs likes this.
  11. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,119
    Not sure why that would be the case unless neither Battle or Franklin are capable of playing a point. McD and Baddley can both play 2-4 and both only overlap with Battle/Franklin one year. After that, our depth at the 1/2 is completely gone.

Both Battle and Franklin seem to have the size and athleticism to play 1-3. I think the minutes will be available year one and then they are full time year 2.

12. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    Our roster next year looks balanced throughout, having multiple guys at every position (Golden might be unique at the 4 but LaVall can certainly play traditional 'wings' at the 4). So if we get Battle, we will have already replaced the two positions we will lose next year while still having 1 spot left to fill. Thus, there isn't a big positional gap to fill with the last spot. It's a great problem to have and why I think they still might go after Franklin (if the staff is higher on him than Gillis--which I have no clue). However, if Gillis is a PF (I think he is listed as a PF but is only 6'6" so seems more like a 3) you could argue that our weakest spot is that position and he makes the most sense.

I guess I view Gillis as a similar position as all of David, JBG, Hastings, Tucker, McDermott while Franklin is similar to Baldwin, Battle, Thompson so just take whatever player you are most high on.

13. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    I saw nothing from either Battle or Franklin last weekend that would indicate they are capable of playing the point.

14. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    If you listen to Franklin's interview last week on his page, he is playing a little 1. The one argument you can make about taking both is position versatility. Like you said they both can play multiple positions and Franklin could at times play the 1. It sure would be intriguing the different lineups we could throw out there. Going big with Franklin Battle Tucker Golden Brunk or super versatile like Franklin Battle Tucker McD/David Golden and switch everything. I know we are getting ahead of ourselves a little but the writing is on the wall that Lavall wants position versatility

15. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    Interesting. If we would get both, one might have to get the Baldwin treatment and learn to play the point behind Thompson (and probably target a PG in the 2020 class). It seems like Franklin views himself as being able to play the 1 at times so LaVall might be able to sell him on being the backup 1 when Thompson is out.

16. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,957
    Transitioning to being a point guard simply isn’t easy. Baldwin is one of the most talented players in the country and he really struggled with it. It’s not something I ever count on recruits being able to transition to.

bmradio99 and BHayden like this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,779
  18. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    Yeah I agree that it isn't easy and Baldwin is one of the most talented players in the country (and that he has struggled). Raw talent may not necessarily be the best predictor of being able to transition to the PG--one other possibility is that Baldwin sees himself as an off guard whereas Franklin sees himself playing the 1.

Under the scenario that I mentioned (we get Franklin and Battle) one would presumably have to learn to play some spot minutes at PG in a backup role after Baldwin graduates (assuming Baldwin is backup PG until he graduates) unless Thompson plays 40 minutes, we get a freshman PG in 2020 ready to serve as backup, or we employ lineups (when Thomspon is out) that for all intents and purposes runs without a true PG. The latter two are entirely possible but I would argue not more so than Franklin playing backup PG for 8 minutes a game as a sophomore.

19. Dawgedd

Money:
    $1,194
    me too. That's odd.

20. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,043
    Evan Daniels and Josh Gershon made their picks at the exact same time yesterday. Jason Scheer made his pick 45 minutes later, and another guy a few hours later. That's a really tight window. I don't know how the crystal ball usually works, but it sure seems like word got out.

Dunhamfor3 likes this.