Khalif Battle - 2019 Guard (Temple)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by bd5, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,548
    The market was...uh...not strong for him.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

bumba likes this.
  2. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $711
    Careful. You don’t want to get accosted for saying he isn’t the greatest player and that Jordan ruined him

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

3. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $953
    Unlike others, I was not crestfallen by his departure so I'm not surprised by the lack of high major interest. Realistically I think his upside best case is something akin to Elijah Brown, and even that is perhaps overly optimistic.

2xDawg likes this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,169
    Elijah Brown 2.0 except Battle's jump shot is worse.

2xDawg likes this.
  5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    I was very taken aback at how he was seemingly no better in February than he was in November. It feels like don’t usually see a complete lack of development of most good players.

I still felt like, this kid is going to be good at some point, but I agree this is weird.

The weakness of his market just suggests maybe what he needs to fix likely won’t be.

6. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,548
    He seemed *worse* in February than November.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

bumba, Tentozen and seadawg like this.
  7. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,616
    He may have begun to press for extended playing time but it obviously didn't work in his favor. He may have developed into a really good defender at BU. In that regard I thought he was much better than Brown ever was. An extra year could be the solution

8. dawg767

dawg767 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $953
    I still don't understand why he would sacrifice a year when he would have been in the best possible situation for playing time to showcase his talents (whatever they might be). I'd really like to know what the driving factor was in his transfer. It seems like Lavall must have really been down on the kid and the February benching vs ?? was the nail in the coffin. Maybe he was homesick, I don't know. However, to flee from what would have been the perfect opportunity for success makes no sense to me and further doesn't reflect positively on his toughness and mental makeup in my mind.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  9. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,729
    Let's put Battle yo bed. It's time to move on, he sure has.

2xDawg likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,412
    I would think that if a coach admits a transfer was mutual, it was a bit more than mutual. Coaches rarely say things like that.

BoyGeoff, UDDawg and Hinkle like this.
  11. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
    People are allowed to keep talking about him. We have “put him to bed” as far as this board goes. He’s in the recruiting archive sub forum.

jkcdawgs and BoyGeoff like this.
  12. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,513
    Probably wanted to play closer to home and stay at a smaller school.

Still think he's really talented, but was playing too fast last season. Hopefully, the game slows down for him a bit with more experience.

13. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,532
    Is Temple really a smaller school?

Undergrad - 30,000 students compared to Butler - almost 5,000

Pretty easy to get lost there.

14. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,884
    Probably meant smaller program.

Tentozen and Hinkle Magic2 like this.
  15. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $167
    There is a reason other than his skill level why he didn't play at all during 2nd semester. Battle has the potential to be Big East Caliber. Going to temple makes some what sense. Remember he openly said that he wanted to play for an African American coach as well.

16. brian35

brian35 Active Member

Money:
    $51
    I don't think that it was a lack of talent that kept Battle off the floor for most of the BE schedule. According to a source that everyone on this board would recognize in a second, Battle "... never fit in on or off the court." The staff knew he wasn't coming back and adjusted accordingly.

Tentozen likes this.
  17. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,086
    Might be too simple of a question, but why did we take him then? Was it not evident during recruiting that he "would never fit in on or off the court?"

Tentozen likes this.
  18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,548
    Unless they’re just a completely hopeless dumbass (and Battle wasn’t), the hope is that if a guy doesn’t fit right away he can be molded to the right mindset over that first year. It doesn’t always take.

19. brian35

brian35 Active Member

Money:
    $51
    LJ and JM had a connection to the Battle family from their Michigan recruiting days. There was a certain comfort level that existed. In the end, however, it just didn't work out. I don't know if I consider myself "connected" in terms of behind the scenes program information. However, what I do get periodically from a source or two that I consider reliable is information regarding practices. In looking back at last season, I don't remember hearing any practice related comments about Battle -- in any context. I'm sorry it didn't work out for him here and wish him the best at Temple.

20. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,916
    Wasn’t LJ quoted in the Indy Star that Battle leaving was mutual?