Khalif Battle - 2019 Guard (Verbal)

Discussion in '2019 Recruiting Profiles' started by bd5, Sep 12, 2017.

1. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,677
    Credit Bumba for the find:

BHayden likes this.
  2. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,527
    In no way am minimizing Battle either but while am thrilled about his decision to attend BU, I won't be lured into the "the next big thing syndrome" that so many do. Nice work to find the video. I caution that uncontested dunks at the HS level are much different those contested dunks at the D1 level. Battle's size and outside shooting does have excited a little and he still has another year to develop.

3. I Am Butler

Money:
    $3,677
    Nobody should be pinning their hopes and dreams on Battle. He has to prove it on the court first, but he clearly has some bounce to him and a nice outside shot.

seadawg likes this.
  4. butlernut

butlernut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,629
    You need to put a warning on that video...watch it on MUTE!

5. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,800
    That's even worse than listening to Dick Vitale!

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $722
    I’d say his jumping is a 6.5 or 7 out of 10 relative to an average high major guard. It’s nice but not overly exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,212
    He just grew and is a junior. I'd imagine with a little weight room action and just plain body maturing, it's not hard to imagine him having some serious hops...

Sent from my [device_name] using Butler Hoops mobile app

8. dawgs2014

Money:
    $722
    You can use the same descriptors for almost every junior in the country. He’s clearly inferior to Henry Baddley and would we say Baddley is a 10/10?

9. I Am Butler

Money:
    $3,677
    This is devolving into a weird argument over semantics.

Battle can jump a better than Kamar. Kamar is awesome. Hopefully Battle will be as well.

I'll leave it at that.

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

Money:
    $722
    He’s 5 inches taller. I’m not saying Battle won’t be good, I hope he is. I’m saying he won’t be good because he’s a better athlete than everyone.

11. I Am Butler

Money:
    $3,677
    Did somebody say he would be?

12. shoeevv

shoeevv Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $405
    Guys, he’s an outstanding high school junior, who will only get better. We’re very fortunate to have gotten him. Enough said for now.

BHayden, seadawg and DawgsMD like this.
  13. ThePioneerLeague

ThePioneerLeague Active Member

Money:
    $323
    To me it seems almost more of Kamar jumping at 75% capacity than simply having juuust enough to get there. It looks like he relies on his long arms to get there to flush it. And as you mentioned he does seem to miss a decent amount of dunks.

I feel like I have seen videos of him getting way up in practice or something of that nature. Also a difference in what guys do in practice vs games though.

Edit: the first couple dunks in this video are what I’m talking about —

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

14. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,800
    This is a really stupid conversation.

15. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $154
    If I remember correctly many of his missed dunks have come towards the end of games, and also in situations where he got indecisive about what to do. He clearly has plenty of bounce, but maybe tired legs and changing his mind have led to some of those. It does seem he has adapted to either go with more conservative dunk attempts or layups.

16. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,167
    To quote Major League:

Irishdawg and estar20dawg like this.
  17. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,721
    Battle drops 26 spots in 247 to 141, which pushes him out of the composite top 150 to 152.

BHayden likes this.
  18. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,527
    If I remember Matt Howard's stock dropped as well, once he committed to BU.:confused:

19. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $13,721
    I doubt that has anything to do with it in this instance. He had a poor showing the first 2 Nike sessions. He had a very good 3rd session, averaging nearly 18 points per game, but it’s understandable that wouldn’t be enough to keep his ranking.

Going forward being a Butler recruit might hurt him a little. 247 doesn’t have a popular Butler site. They won’t care about giving him coverage, so he will get forgotten a little bit unless he just wows people.

Although I question how much 247 is watching his team anyways. Al Amir Dawes absolutely blew me away in Indy. He made the All-Indy 3rd team for the session. Outside of a few 5 stars he was my favorite player there. I would have guessed he was a top 50 guy. I checked his spot to see how far he dropped, and to my shock he FELL 37 spots to #201. 201 is simply a stupid ranking for him.