Khalif Battle Transferring

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by CarmelDawg23, Mar 21, 2020.

1. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,124
    Fair, but they were true diamonds in the rough coached up by one of the best tactician coaches Butler has ever had. LJ might end up in the same conversation, but we don’t know that yet.

I’m concerned but hopeful.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,008
    Absolutely. Incredible on all fronts. That's why I hesitate to ever say "well they did it, why can't "XYZ" do it? But I do believe in Scoob. I also believe LaVall has something else coming in to be an immediate starter.

3. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $605
    Whether or not Khalif would have started next year, who knows. But I'm not that I can agree completely with LaVall seeming to like JT being the 6th man. Who was JT going to replace in the starting line-up? AT? Kamar? Sean? I could be wrong but I believe that in most if not all of the games that Baldwin and Thompson were hurt, that JT was the starter.

In regards to why Battle is transferring, unless we have insider information with the coaching staff, the players, Khalif's family, etc. it is all speculation on why he has decided to transfer. Maybe he had a discussion awhile back with LaVall on what his role was going to be the rest of the season and next season as well, maybe he was homesick; as I said, nobody really knows. But that decision could very well have been made several weeks ago, as some people have posted; and that may have been the reason why he did not play in the last few games, rather than being the reason why he transferred.

Look at all the players who are transferring from various schools; I would guess there are multiple reasons why these players are transferring.

In regards to who Butler might be able to pick up; I know that they have reached out to some players who I believe would have to sit out next year. While I am sure that some of those players would be a good addition to the team, I am in the group that believe that a grad transfer, whoever that may be, would make more sense for next year's team.

4. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,313
    The kid was oozing with potential, but Butler isn't for everyone. I personally am excited to see who we fill the scholarship with. With Tate, Taylor, and Harris we have plenty of young guards coming in that we'll be fine in a few years. Right now I want an impact grad transfer to pair with AT in the backcourt. That's how we go dancing next year, not waiting on Battle to become something that he may never be.

Tentozen and willisbrown like this.
  5. dawgy dawgy

dawgy dawgy Active Member

Money:
    $247
    I think I would take O Connell from duke even if he has to sit a year over any grad transfer and just suck it up one season. We have enough to go dancing with the roster coming up I think.

6. dawgy dawgy

dawgy dawgy Active Member

Money:
    $247
    I think o Connell does have to sit but man if he doesn’t how nice would o Connell AT and tuck be with Nze and golden. Wish they switched the sit rule because there are way to many loop holes

7. Shark

Shark Member

Money:
    $134
    "The culture" is more than what you do when people are watching. I have NO IDEA that he didn't fit the culture. But what he did on FS1 isn't evidence that he did.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,427
    Holy **** this escalated quickly? Cut the bullshit everyone and let’s get back on topic please. If you girls wanna ***** slap each other, let’s create a thread where you can go do that. Some of us are actually interested in talking about Butler basketball.

2xDawg, Insane Dawg and DawgPoundMac like this.
  9. The Hound

The Hound Member

Money:
    $110
    By all accounts Battle is a good kid but has a lot of maturing to do. Let’s wish him well and hope those coming in look forward to the opportunity he has created. With the talent of the incoming class, we should be as excited as a Costco crowd watching a Charmin truck unload.

SnoopDawg, cornette33 and estar20dawg like this.
  10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,311
    Agree, Tate seeing the floor as a freshman could be the start of a Kamar 2.0 career. The kid looks as ready as any of the 2020's to step right in to minutes.

mwall787 and willisbrown like this.
  11. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,587
    Not that surprised. Actually kind of surprised it's just one player (so far). Who really knows the primary reason for the transfer. "Fit" entails many things. Not sure the ubiquitous "Butler Way" or culture excuses hold up here. Butler isn't THAT different from the majority of other majors. Every program has a culture and they don't deviate THAT much. Really. If a kid has an ego (most do) and likes to play one on one, break-your-man-down, free lance, make your own decisions, launch-at-will offense, then Jordan's offense is a pretty good fit. If you are a scorer and have a bit of an ego, who wouldn't love playing in that type of "individualistic feature me" offense (the Butler Way?). Playing time was also coming his way next season. And it is big time basketball. He was going to see the court a whole lot. So it may be a bit of a head scratcher. Or maybe not. Maybe the "fit" had more to do with personalities. Or maybe he just didn't like the campus. Doesn't really matter at this point. IMO, there are more pressing concerns. And those won't be going away. I do love the earlier comment calling out the fans......coming in, he was the next Butler great. Leaving, he was a bad fit anyway.

12. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,215
    Sorry to see him go, but that's the way it goes sometimes...

MSUDawg and bumba like this.
  13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,311
    If it was a year where we didn't have a stud recruiting class coming in, I'd be more disappointed. Guys like Scooby and Jakobe will have more opportunity to see time as lineups become more fluid. We'll also figure out if Markeese is going to make it as a 3 in the BE.

14. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,313
    I think it's fair for some of us to change our minds after watching a whole year of college basketball. He had his opportunities. AT missed 4-5 games with an injury, CD went out for the year. He simply wasn't ready for Big East basketball this past season. I think in 2-3 years he's going to be a great player.

15. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $15,808
    Going away to school is difficult without the pressures of D1 basketball. Why speculate? Wish the young man well wherever he goes and in life.

16. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,433
    I think he ends up at another high major. (Right decision? TBD.) He's got a year of practice before playing again and can really develop in a system. Big FOOTBAW schools are going to see a former top 100 guy and his last name and think Butler fumbled it because they didn't have the same resources as Kentucky or something.

Serious question: is he rated in the top 100 out of high school if he isn't Tyus Battle's brother? Definitely was a good get, and I would have been equally excited about his commitment even if he was in the 130s or something, but we've all seen how unscientific these rankings can be.

Being a freshman is hard, but think of what Kamar and AT were like as freshmen and what we saw out of Battle in rare minutes. Major potential, yeah, but wasn't there yet. Wish it was a better fit because of his ceiling. Bummer.

17. Tiles52

Tiles52 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $605
    If you are talking about the end of the half or end of the game offense where Baldwin would normally take the last shot, then I would agree with you; and if you are talking about when Thompson was injured and Baldwin had to play the point, then I could also agree with you. But when Thompson was in the game, there were several games where multiple players scored in double figures and Baldwin actually had games where he had decent assist totals; so I don't necessarily agree that one on one, break-your-man-down, free lance, make your own decision, launch-at-will offense is Jordan's offense. But to each their own.

18. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,202
  19. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,434
    Battle is full of potential, but the reality is he was way overhyped and not ready to play at this level.:(

20. coach roastbeef

coach roastbeef Member

Money:
    $44
    JT gonna be a real beast next year!!!

MadDawg2020 likes this.