Kris Wilkes - 2017 Small Forward (UCLA)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by butlerfan, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,199

2. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,888
    Agree, still guessing this is IU and no disrespect to any of the other schools. Would love to boo him at Hinkle if he went to X.

3. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $822
    This isn't sour grapes because I hate Xavier and will probably not even tell my son and any future children of its existence so that they don't ever considering going there, but what's the big draw for a 5 star to go there? Yes they do well in the regular season and are good for a couple wins in the tournament most years, but Butler has made the national championship twice in the last 6 years and Xavier haven't gotten past the E8 in recent memory. Plus, they don't have the greatest reputation and there isn't too much different from their school and Butler taking basketball out of the equation. Frankly, Indianapolis has more appeal as a metropolitan city than Cincy (I have been to both)...I just do not see what differentiates Xavier from Butler, especially considering Butler is in a lot of recruits own backyard (Wilkes, Scruggs, Blew-it (spelled it incorrectly on purpose because he did blow it with his decision)). I think he ends up at IU, which does not really impact Butler at all, but again, just don't get it.

4. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Active Member

Money:
    $4,584
    I hate Xavier more than the next, but i think x has a point. when they recruit people in 8th grade, right or wrong, you're looking at almost 25% of their life. Like it or not, Butler and Xavier have a lot in common. Xavier is two hours away which is a good distance to "be away from home" without going too far, just like we get some cincy players. You can say they underachieve, bad reputation, etc which I agree with all of that but in the eyes of recruits it must be neglible or at least not mean as much as that early relationship. I do believe CH will get Indy/indiana recruiting turned around for us in these next few years but sucks a big one in the meantime

Sent from my VS985 4G using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,199
    I think being away from home is a factor along with everyone recruiting in Indy and Indiana in general. Can't imagine too many recruiters visit Cincy. When it comes to major cities where bball is big in a thousand mile radius it falls off a lot after Chicago, Detroit and Indy. So BU has a lot of competition to compete with for recruits. On the other hand there is something a little sick about lusting after an eighth grader which would be something I'd put a stop to if it were my son.

6. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,491
    Geez, quit sounding like a bunch of fricking sore losers. X has been recruiting really good talent for a long time. They are pretty good at it. What do you expect when you only joined the party maybe a year and a half ago. Stevens and Miller did absolutely nothing with recruiting. As stated many, many, many times before....huge missed opportunity on the recruiting front following those back to back Final Fours. It's going to take some time not only to consistently get 4 star talent but also develop some roster depth. At least it's beginning to look up. At least we're talking to better talent. Closing them???? TBD. Pissed off at X????? Then how about beating their asses on the court....where it REALLY counts.

7. curious

curious Member

Money:
    $8
    IFF - he's an idiot and -
    IFF - he had the facts straight and you didn't then -

Are you a sub-idiot?

And to top off the fact that you were wrong you opened your rebuke to his prediction with the needless, smug overwrought sentence -

"Um."

You did this. No one put a machete to your throat to encourage your over-the-top arrogance. (I'm guessing, anyway)

I guess x-fan took a dig with his comment, but it was very civil. For one to lash out (at that anyway) shows a complete lack of character, and puts an asterisk next to their very humanity. IMO, But take heart, character is not a common trait on message boards.

I also like how you tried to paint him as off-base because he made his forecast when Wilkes "had a visit scheduled to UNC"
    Couldn't this be seen as making xfan more prescient since there was such rich evidence indicating Wilkes would be visiting.

You just don't like being wrong. Waah. You're not Title are you? The anger and desperate verbal games feel so much like him.

note to onlookers: I am aware that IFF is "if and only if" but I haven't played wiff'n proof in years, so I don't remember the symbol for "if" or know if I have it on my keyboard. but I wanted to go for that logical reduction feel.

8. CarmelDawg23

CarmelDawg23 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $822
    Who sounds like a sore loser? I knew we had no shot at Wilkes and I knew Xavier had a better shot than we did...I was just wondering what makes them so much more appealing than Butler. You said it yourself...they have been recruiting well for a long time, so shouldn't they be showing better when it counts? A10 titles and BE titles don't mean crap if you are losing in the R32 or S16 or E8...at least Villanova finally backed up all their regular season and conference tournament success. Shouldn't the fact that X can't do anything with all these so called great recruits show you that they fold like a cheap card table when it matters? We definitely missed the boat after those F4 appearances but Stevens still recruited like he did prior to that and was only starting to go for the sexy names before he went to Boston. Miller...everyone knows his deal. I do not blame any recruit for not coming here with a dodgy coaching situation. We need baby steps, starting with the consistent classes of high 3s and 4 stars filling the classes. Just don't go painting some picture of Xavier that isn't there...they are not this superior to Butler to be getting high 4s and 5s to constantly consider them or commit to them.

9. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,199
    Can we keep up if we can't get two four stars every year or do we keep up with two and three stars plus transfers?

10. xfan1989

xfan1989 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $509
    I'd love a final four obviously. And I'm jealous of yours no doubt. But sweet 16s and elite 8s are hard to come by. A lot needs to swing your way in the tournament. Never discount getting to that second weekend.

Miller has had a ridiculous amount of talent in Arizona and still hasn't gotten to a final four.

Butler probably would've benefited from being in a better league after their final fours. i do think blueitt would've potentially been a bulldog had Stevens stuck around. And I know for a fact JP would've been.

We've also benefitted a lot from crean being at IU.

11. firedupkaren

firedupkaren Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,507
    National Runner Ups and Final Fours aren't the same thing, btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,199
    The two national championships games are far into the rear view mirror for high school recruits. We just never got the bump in recruiting.

13. jimmychitwood

jimmychitwood Member

Money:
    $5
    And Kris Wilkes rips the scab off the wound. Why the outrage if we all knew he wasn't staying? Why can't people give Xavier credit? I hate X as much as anyone for obvious reasons, but they recruit better than us and have been doing so for some time. I'm envious. Are they a better program? Of course not. Trying to take an inventory on any one decision is an exercise in futility. Let it go.

This decision changes nothing for me. I'm happy with the staff and both our recruiting efforts this year and our trajectory on the trail, overall.

As an aside, I've always thought Wilkes was a tremendous player. So when I say I'm pretty underwhelmed with his final list, I mean that with no disrespect. Maybe he has made a conscious decision to exclude certain schools, but I always thought he was destined for a Kentucky, Kansas, etc.

14. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,862
    Totally different ball game if Stevens had had the benefit of the BE and a renovated Hinkle Fieldhouse. As to "rear view mirror" for recruits, Jerald Butler stated he watched those games and it was a dream for him to play for BU. A couple of years from now, sure, recruits won't remember watching those games. But maybe we'll have some new stuff to point to by then:)

15. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,888
    [tweet]764911266712268800[/tweet]

16. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,784
    Local people claim it's down to IU and Xavier. 247, however, is trending towards UCLA.

It'll be interesting to see how this ends. I'd totally be okay with him going to UCLA. I'd feel bad for him though because that program is a sinking ship.

17. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,517
    I don't see UCLA but what do I know- the kid included Illinois for god's sake.

Wonder if Scruggs and Wilkes are gonna be a package deal... Seems like either IU or Xavier will get both.

18. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,517
  19. I like turtles

I like turtles Active Member

Money:
    $358
    Wtf is going with Illinois this year? They are landing 4 and 5 stars.

I smell something funny and it's not the usual poo smell of Champaign.

20. xufan02

xufan02 Member

Money:
    $39
    It is really down to IU and UCLA. Kris must really want to play for a hack coach.

I don't see this taking to much longer.