Kyle Young - 2017 Forward (Flip - Ohio St.)

Discussion in 'Recruiting Archive' started by Jared Grubbs, Sep 3, 2015.

1. SpartanDawgs

SpartanDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $160
    Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,425
    Pretty sure we all *knew* it was just the waiting for it to be official. Bigger bags of cash at OSU...he was never coming here once Holtmann left for the money. Young left for the money too.

3. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,282
    I surely hope that is not the case. Folks need to remember Brad attempted to get CH here a year earlier prior to his departure for Beantown.

4. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,199
    I didn't know that.

5. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,412
    If Holtmann had done the exact same things he's done, but never said a thing, I'd totally get it and totally support it. The way he's done it is total hypocrisy.

People don't like car salesman for being dishonest. Holtmann has acted like a car salesman, making statements and then demonstrating actions that are totally inconsistent with his statements. I didn't think I'd be pissed off by him taking a better job, but I didn't see him acting like a sleezeball while doing it.

Edit***after reading the rest of the posts I see I'm adding absolutely nothing new, but hey we're mostly all on the same page. That's noteworthy!

6. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,412
    Yeah, this decision was not made today. It was made as soon as Holt was leaving.

7. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $970
    Holtmann is gone, Pedon is gone, Schrage is gone, Johnson is gone. and Young is gone. lets move on they have. Forget about OSU Butler found out what the Big 10
    has known for years. Butler fans should be concentrating on their program and looking forward to this season and future seasons. Go Dawgs!

8. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Active Member

Money:
    $152
    Kyle Macy once told me that the reason he left Purdue for Kentucky was because at Purdue you get a $20 handshake and at Kentucky you get a $100 handshake....sounds very familiar....

9. Baddog Sucks

Baddog Sucks New Member

Money:
    $21
  10. schoops

schoops Active Member

Money:
    $828
    Agreed. And the comment at the end that everything has been completely above board and classy at the end is total bs. I have no problem with Young asking it off his commitment under the circumstances. I have a huge problem with him ending up at Ohio State.

This article is crap. The thing I took away from it is that Notre Dame football isn't afraid of bad publicity.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. BullDawg2789

BullDawg2789 Active Member

Money:
    $572
    I've lost respect for most people on this forum. Taking it out on a kid and coach for making the best decisions for them? Great look for Butler basketball. Boohoo, it's freaking college basketball. Get over it.

Sure, Holtmann took the job for a bigger budget and more money, but he was never a Butler guy coming in, and this outcome was always likely. And Young chose the coaches he bonded with, to go to school an hour from his newly widowed mother. And people are angry at this 18 year old? That's disgusting.

And now we sit here blaming the coaching for "tampering," when a month ago everyone would have sworn this staff would NEVER do that. There's no evidence of tampering. And the people that matter to Butler basketball aren't accusing them of that.

So move on, we'll be fine. The incoming class is still great, and we have a coach who can recruit. I know I'll still be rooting against OSU, if only for them stealing our coach and doing it in a *****y manner/time. But we've got the better coach for the long haul.

12. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $395
    Congratulations to KY! Seriously, one day prior to making this decision he was spending another father's day without his dad. To say this is a momentous time in his life is an understatement and I hope he excels at OSU. He's been through a long and tormented recruiting process and deserves an opportunity to do well. If Holtmann and the staff do nothing else, I hope they bring out the best in KY as a student and athlete.

I am also glad that Barry and Butler did not get in the way with this. I think we should all take a minute to realise that KY's situation is a product of our relatively new position within the NCAA and all that comes with it. One positive of our days in the Horizon and MCC meant we were rarely exposed to this part of the system. Now we are fully immersed; this and possibly worse is going to happen in the future. We can't escape that because it comes with the Big East territory. However, we can choose a different way to react to these setbacks than more prominent programmes (I'm looking at you right now Louisville) and their fan bases might do. That will have to be what always separates us from the pack.

See ya over at the 'Now we know what's what' thread.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  13. Red1972

Money:
    $970
    Hey Doyel, stick to the Pacers and their problems, you knew nothing about Butler Basketball until you became Holtmann's "confidant".

14. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,994
    Food for thought: if Young leaving to join Holtmann didn't reek, would there be a reason at all to write an article about it?

Also, Doyel's statement that Young and Holtmann hadn't spoken is in line with former President Clinton trying to wordsmith us with his definition of "sexual relations." Hey Publicist Doyel, his high school coach said last week he had spoken with OSU's staff multiple times since they left Butler, but I'm sure that never made it back to Kyle.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,569
    I am going to re-route this thread a bit and put a positive spin on it.

Someone made mention to the fact that KY must've known he was going to OSU for at least a day given the pic he posted on his Twitter account.

Given that he was the last recruit to sign, and it seemed there was no real sign of LaVall going to see him, my guess is KY told LJ when he reached out last week of his wishes to transfer.

LJ tries to convince him otherwise and KY is pretty steadfast on his new decision. LJ asks him to keep it quiet until he has time to get the rest of the class in the fold so as not to tip dominoes in an opposite direction.

KY keeps quiet until after it is official that the other four are honoring their commitments. I am just trying to put a positive spin on this for KY to lessen some of the animosity toward an 18YO kid (and to further see LJ's value as a tactical recruiter).

It's possible, right?

ItalianDawg, #60, Dawgs4Life and 2 others like this.
  16. DawgFan14

DawgFan14 Active Member

Money:
    $313
    I'm sure he knew that he was going to OSU the day Holtmann took the job.

17. Red1972

Money:
    $970
    Can we please move on?

Dawgedd likes this.
  18. ButlerHoopsFan

ButlerHoopsFan Active Member

Money:
    $195
    Sure did. Hence why I posted on here that he was leaving. It's amazing what you will find when you aren't concerned with bashing each other.

19. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,994
    Why? It's not over. They have, with very very few exceptions, now offered every 2018 recruit that they've developed a relationship with on Butler's dime. This is a big deal. As I mentioned previously in another thread, we may not feel the full reverberations of the fallout for another 2-3 years. It is shaking the foundation of this program.

I think LaVall will right the ship, but don't be mistaken, the roster will likely be in turmoil for a few years.

20. dawgs2014

Money:
    $2,412
    I think its fully possible they didn't talk after Holtmann resigned, but to insinuate there weren't indirect lines of communication (not that you are) or that they didn't talk before Holt resigned would be playing the same game we are all angry at Holt for.

I was told on the 10th, the day after Holt left that, that Young had made up his mind to leave, and that it was a done deal. I mean, to my knowledge there is no rule against a coach recruiting a kid to another school as long as contact is permissible, which it would have been at the time.

Logic dictates there had to be some means of communicating that KY wanted OSU, and OSU wanted KY. Any way in which that conversation could have happened probably would not fit within the honesty/integrity guidelines any of our parents would be proud of seeing each of us follow.

Ultimately, what KY said about why he wanted to stay with Holt is totally understandable. I also think its a bit idealistic relative to reality, but that's not to say that relationship won't be of comfort. The dynamic just changes once you get into the program.

For Holtmann, however, basically every Butler related statement he has made, he has directly contradicted with his actions. It all stinks, even if it worked out for everyone, which is what I think what we will see happen.