LaVall’s Last Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MadDawg2020, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    I’d be very surprised if Collier isn’t watching how things unfold the rest of the season and doesn’t already have a back up plan if things don’t improve. He got the legs cut out from under him twice and he sure isn’t going to wait until June or July to again have to hire another coach. He knows without the men’s bball team filling those seats there won’t be an athletic department.

2. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603

I mean….All arrogance aside, was he wrong? Historically it has worked almost every time they’ve promoted from the Butler tree. Every time we’ve gone through this ordeal, it has always been the coach leaving Butler, not the other way around. I’m not suggesting that makes LaVall qualified, but I think most of us would admit, at the time, we were content with him being hired.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    godogs91 and Insane Dawg like this.
  3. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
    Do you think he didn't have a backup plan if Brad Stevens left after he was rumored for every major conference HC opening for 5(?) years?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
  4. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,248
    I guess Brandon Miller didn't count since he waited until the beginning of the season to name him interim HC in October then waited to name him the actual HC half through the season

5. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,694
    I want to "walk this back" what I wrote just a bit because I wrote it really quickly. Saying he'd have "more PT" than any of the other guys doesn't make much sense. Even the best player on a given team might not get the most playing time. Maybe he's platooned or weighs 350 lbs and his knees tire easily. My point was only that'd IMO he'd be a starter and have plenty of playing time.

seadawg likes this.
  6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,283
    Oh I agree that it has worked, and I was THRILLED with the hire.

Relying on a process to keep working, though, simply because it has worked in the past is a fool’s game.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

7. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    That was due to legal issues.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

bumba and Insane Dawg like this.
  8. BUcheer

BUcheer Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,797
    I don’t think he had a July 3rd plan.

9. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $1,560
    Reread my comment. I am not saying people cannot change their mind and NOW think it is a bad fit and not working.

I am saying that there are some people that are now misstating what they said in 2017. There are people claiming they said in 2017 they did not like the hire then when in fact they loved the hire then. That would be a hell fire sin.

Very similar to when a recruit is first mentioned on the board and people drool over them. Then once that player is here, that player is used as an example that our coach cannot recruit BE caliber players and we never should have recruited that player.

If you drooled over them as a recruit and we’re excited when they committed, you cannot then say we never should have recruited them. That is a hell fire sin.

It is however possible to say that the player did not pan out the way you and the staff thought they would. That is something honest, reasonable people are capable of doing all the time.

10. knobcreekfan

Money:
    $1,560
    I would also suggest that the wild speculation and rumor generated on this board was not be remotely similar to conversations Brad had with BC and Danko.

Insane Dawg likes this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,038
    Gotcha. Yeah if someone said it was great then and coming back now saying "I knew this wouldn't work and I knew it when he was hired"....yeah that's dookie. I can't remember my exact stance and I am way too lazy to go back and look but I believe I was satisfied but also wondering how much of a national search we really did...but out of the "in house" options, LaVall was probably at that point the right choice.

As far as recruiting goes...I just need to stop drooling altogether. Ones I have really puddle drooled over them coming on board-Scooby, Coles, Battle and the drooliest of all...Elijah Brown. See a pattern? I also drooled over Tucker in the portal commit...so basically, I suck.

12. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,938
    Im not ready to say Vall can or cannot coach and I'm growing impatient with the results on the court as well, but Vall just got Coach Rags to come on board and he, at least IMO, is a great coach with success. So either Vall still has credibility in the coaching ranks to land someone like him or Rags is a job chaser which I don't think is true. Sure, it may be mutual and a level above his previous stops, but I still don't think he's coming here if he doesn't think Vall can coach.

I do like the combo of Vall and Rags, a lot - and for recruiting purposes also, but ready to change up the other spots before getting rid of Vall altogether.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    Why should we be optimistic about Ragland's ability to recruit? We have missed on virtually every kid who was offered since then. I don't see it.

willisbrown, DawgPoundMac and Hinkle like this.
  14. Albick

Albick Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,587
    I totally get that LaVall's success or lack of success on the court is by far the biggest factor in whether he will be successful in recruiting, but I have to think that it's not helpful if potential recruits check out this website and see an active thread called "LaVall's Last Season." Of course they know that any coach can be fired at any time if he is not meeting expectations, but it seems unhelpful to highlight mere speculation that the coach who is recruiting them won't be here next year.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    2xDawg, SnoopDawg and Insane Dawg like this.
  15. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    You are never going to change negative people. Believe me you can’t.

Woe did not realize we lost out on Lukosius or Turnbull . When did that happen? And we lost out on the virtually ones too! Damn it I missed all that! We are sunk! Fire the people! All of them!

16. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603

Believe me when I tell you this - I do agree with you that it’s not productive to spread what could be gossip or speculation on the board if we have nothing to substantiate it. Admittedly, some of us are simply taking each other’s word (when we shouldn’t) every time we open up discussions to such topics. But at the end of the day, we’re just fans, most of who don’t have insider information, trying to piece together what’s happening on the court before us; and some here are in fact privy to some information more than others. We all have opinions to share, and some of us could be wrong, but that’s the function of a public message board - to express ourselves. I don’t doubt that recruits, and there parents, can and will see everything we’re speculating about, but they would also know that this is nothing they wouldn’t see on message boards for other teams as well. It’s the nature of sports, people will have bad opinions, so I think most recruits will know to look at the whole picture, and not just put all their stock in the bantering of one message board.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    In the end high school kids and their parents are probably smarter than we give them credit for and we aren’t as smart as we give ourselves credit for.

18. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,652
    We have shown repeatedly on this board over the past few years that smart is definitely not one of our strong suits...

19. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,292
    I stand corrected. We missed on BE talent. We definitely signed Top 300 kids.

20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Did not know Lukosius was rated. Yea that’s why Edey ,being ranked 440 , went to BIG Purdue because he wasn’t BE talent.

Tentozen likes this.