LaVall’s Last Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MadDawg2020, Nov 18, 2021.

1. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,004
    He did make demands/requests & got much, I.e. converting the West Gym into a 24/7 practice facility; this impacted many other programs on campus. He got a salary bump. As many will recall, the “bolt” was his fumbling on social media about staying then leaving within a few days. And so it is. No real surprise butler couldn’t compete with OSU financially. And OSU is NOT a top 5 program IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

HoosierDawg and BUcheer like this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    After watching IU - Ohio State game yesterday I don’t see them as a top 25 team. But that is just watching the game and my eyes don’t fail me.

HoosierDawg and ButlerProf like this.
  3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,101
    Reading some box scores today/tonight...couple names I saw who we didn't go after (twice) who wanted us and another we kinda went after but nothing too hard...Laravia and Pack...they'd look real nice at Butler right about now. Both are balling out at the high major level.

For some reason LJ never wanted to sniff Laravia (twice) and flirted but I don't think ever really was hard core on Pack. Sigh.

the_speakers_lab and NCJon like this.
  4. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,643
    I was watching some of the Wake-Syracuse game yesterday and thinking the same thing about LaRavia. Seems like a huge miss in retrospect.

I can't say I thought it was a miss at the time as I don't follow the recruiting side that closely, but I remembered him being someone folks here talked about.

5. ConnersvilleBulldog

ConnersvilleBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,627
    But why recruit players who are known to shoot well? How would that be beneficial in basketball?

6. Baddog

Baddog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,173
    Yeah, I commented a few weeks ago, too bad the school is located in Indiana. Where can you possibly find a few kids who can actually shoot the ball?

7. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,101
    I was in on him a little, but I had other fans/alum I know that live up there who were in on him a ton. Loved the size/skill aspect of his game, hell even made some Hayward comparisons. Which, I told them to cool down the burners but it did get me following a little more and I thought his game then and damn, especially now would be the voodoo that's really missing. Can shoot and can go get the ball.

And, depending on who you believe...he was holding out very much in HS, waiting, hoping for a Butler offer. He wanted us according to some people on the ground up there. To watch him these last couple years...it's a true shame LaVall had no interest. His game has transferred very nicely into ACC big time ball. I was curious to see results and damn he's having a nice season.

Tentozen likes this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $16,101
    For an offense...well whatever they run...that shoots 20-25 threes a game? No dude you don't need shooting. Why the hell would we want that? Think we're bad now? We'd have maybe two wins.

9. iluvsnow

iluvsnow Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,238
    To be more specific, Jake Laravia is playing 35 minutes a game, averages 15 points a game, shooting 60 percent from the field including 40 percent from 3, 6.8 boards per game and 3.4 assists per game for a 13-3 Wake Forest team. Six eight and 235.

HoosierDawg and willisbrown like this.
  10. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    For those saying our staff cannot recruit, we never should have recruited these players and our team lacks talent....

Hughes…

Groce…

Taylor…

Thomas…

Simas….
    QUOTE="iluvsnow, post: 238654, member: 213"]Here is 6 minutes of Youtube video. I like a lot!!!! [/QUOTE]

Harris….

Were the opinions sh*t then? Or opinions sh*t now? Or more likely both?

11. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,276
    Nijel Pack
    Jake LaRavia (2x)
    Conner Essegian
    Luke Goode

All Indiana kids known for shooting who didn't go to IU, ND, or Purdue. I've made my opinion clear that I don't prefer LaVall's strategy of recruiting athleticism & length > skill, but my opinion doesn't matter. c'est la vie

2xDawg and willisbrown like this.
  12. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,276
    [​IMG]
    Sorry

willisbrown likes this.
  13. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,611
    I pretty much feel the same way. I would just be careful not to suggest that recruiting athletic, versatile players implies that they’re not skilled as well. With that said - I would gladly trade in what little length and athleticism we have on the roster in exchange for more players that fit the mold of “players who can shoot, pass, and dribble.” These are what Mid-Majors make do with all the time, and I don’t think having that as your foundation is such a bad thing, even in the Big East.

14. knobcreekfan

knobcreekfan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,560
    I do not blame him, but he was never going to stay here. He was looking for a bigger job from the moment he was hired as an assistant. We could never match what OSU would offer in terms $$$$ or facilities or cachet. He was not going to stay here.

He also does not care about the program. He took the entire staff with him. He took the highest rated recruit from that year with him. He cares about himself and as long he is there, the OSU program.

15. ButlerProf

ButlerProf Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,004
    I tend to agree. Beginning with he left his head coaching position to be an assistant to a first time head coach @ Butler. Cachet: the new Big East conference

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Insane Dawg likes this.
  16. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    He played for Indiana State last year before transferring where he shot 47% from the floor including 31% from three and 6.2 rebounds per game. He certainly has improved his shooting percentages from last year’s mid-major team. Too bad we didn’t know he was going to improve his shooting this year and had an open scholarship.

Really great to see a kid who averaged 5 points a game as a junior in high school whose best offers when he graduated were from Incarnate Woods, SIU- Edward’s, Evansville and IUPI with stops at Indiana State make it at Wake Forest in his senior year

LJ should have known that in four years this kid would have had a big impact this year.

Then again he would have sucked here because all of our recruits suck.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    BUcheer likes this.
  17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Were the opinions sh*t then? Or opinions sh*t now? Or more likely both?[/QUOTE]

I’d go with who cares?

18. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,151
    I remember Doyle at the IndyStar claiming Laravia was the next coming and a future NBAer. That alone kinda turned me off.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

OldSchoolDawg1983 likes this.
  19. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $10,005
    I mean, I dislike Doyel as much as the next guy, but.

Vecenie is a very respected NBA draft guy.

willisbrown likes this.
  20. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,764
    Please tell me when I **** on the current freshman. Plenty of room for growth…potential to be the fav class ever because they’re all local. All have promise, but they prob won’t be developed.

estar20dawg likes this.