LaVall’s Last Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MadDawg2020, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603

As long as money continues to be an issue for Butler (whether it’s self’s inflicted or not,) there’s probably no point in looking at “rising star” coaches from small/mid schools unless we’re able to at least match the salaries of the schools they’re walking away from.

I’ll go ahead and say this - If I could have any coach I wanted right now to rebuild this program, I would take Todd Golden from San Francisco, but I’ll continue to endorse going after coaches that have former ties to Butler, particularly the ones that work in the NBA. If none of that is appealing, then it’ll likely have to be someone who’s coming off a bad stint with a power 5 school and looking to rebound with us.

2xDawg, Snozzberry and HoosierDawg like this.
  2. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,097
    Whomever we hire is going to have to bring players with him or can succeed in the Transfer portal. Way too late to recruit HS players. A mid major coach probably can’t bring top players from wherever they are now. We fortunately are not losing much to graduation but then again we don’t have a lot coming back. We are going to have a lot of holes to fill.

3. butlerguy03

butlerguy03 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,486
    Todd Golden will likely get a large state school offer, meaning much more money.

2xDawg likes this.
  4. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,119
    Has there been a shift in how the university supports or views the program from Fong to Danko?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

dippper61 likes this.
  5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $16,038
    Problem is we collectively can see it, but Barry refuses to. So...get used to being the big east's toilet bowl.

dippper61 likes this.
  6. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,585
    Up thread I gave a list of coaches I'd be interested in if there is a change. Now that we're past the halfway point of the season, I am really interested in Dennis Gates at Cleveland State. He's almost certainly getting a high major job next year if he wants one and I think he'd be a great fit at Butler.

There are a lot of things I like about LJ, but the results just aren't there and next year looks to be a huge cliff. I thought with a bunch of super seniors they'd at least be competitive this year. Clearly they aren't.

7. wazthree

wazthree Well-Known Member

LaVall should be embarrassed that Travis Steele is three years younger, graduated from same school, coach similar schools, same conference, and Steele was his student manager and Steele is a way better coach and recruiter.

We have one player for next year a dude ranked 303 in the country and the guys this year are all 3 stars, that is mid major recruiting.

Are they even trying?

Steele has 3 top 75 for next year. You need at least one 4 star a year and I don’t think we have one 4 star player on the entire roster.

IrishDawghouse likes this.
  8. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    Wasn’t Christian David a four star?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  9. tedfrye

tedfrye Well-Known Member

Money:
    $479
    I agree but it seems every highly ranked recruit we get never works out… battle.. Tucker

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

10. butlerdude05

butlerdude05 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,938
    I'd be okay with giving Lavall one more year, but he needs major coaching turnover (kind of like Notre Dame football in 2017). I'd keep Ragland but get rid of everyone else.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $17,097
    We need a reset badly. We are bad at both ends of the court. Unless there is a miraculous turnaround the remainder of this season a wholesale cleaning out needs to happen. We have the same team as last year but are worse. Which raises basic questions like

Why are we worse?
    What did they do in the off-season?
    No one has improved since last season. Why?
    Did no one practice shooting in the off-season?
    Why isn’t there any toughness ?
    Why did the super seniors come back? Why do they stay?

znelson15 and Tentozen like this.
  12. Eric the Midget

Eric the Midget New Member

Money:
    $51
    The first call should be to Brad. The job is his if he wants it, but if he doesn’t then call Pitino. The guy is a total scumbag, but if the ultimate goal is to be nationally relevant and compete for titles he checks both boxes.

13. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $764
    I would pee my pants if Pitino was hired. I don’t care what some people would say, he’s an absolute winner and would be an electric hire for the program

BoyGeoff and johnhardingftw like this.
  14. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $594
    Agree the first call would have to be Brad, but I can't imagine any scenario where he would say yes.

As for Pitino, I would rather suck for a decade than have him as our coach. However, his former Louisville assistant (had also been an assistant for Denny Crumb) was Scott Davenport. He took over the head coach gig for a terrible Bellarmine DII team about 10 years ago. Since then, Bellarmine has gone to 4 DII final fours, won a national championship and last year moved up to DI. Last year they surprised everyone by finishing in 2nd place in conference (first year as a DI team) and had a super efficient offense that practically doesn't dribble...on offense the ball literally hits the floor less often than it is passed. This year they are 9-8 overall (losses to Purdue, Gonzaga, etc) but undefeated in conference and will probably win the ASUN conference. I'm not sure how old Davenport is...probably mid-late 50s, and no idea if he could recruit...but with our budget, this is the kind of coach I'd want to pursue.

There are a lot of good possibilities out there if we don't have to hire someone in the middle of the summer like we have done with the last 4 coaching searches though. Also, if we don't stay in the family, I think we should look at former Wisconsin assistants (although I don't know who that would be).

mwall787, Tentozen, 2xDawg and 2 others like this.
  15. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,603
    I think you along with everyone else knows that Stevens is not coming back. He likes Boston, he likes the NBA, and he likes the challenge it offers.

As far as Pitino, I don’t think I could live with rooting for a team that takes after him. I’m not saying that your opinion isn’t valid…But winning at all costs is not what Butler means to me personally - Are you saying that winning is all that matters to you?

16. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    It looks like Crean might be out soon at Georgia… I like the guy as a person but yeah I’m not sure that’s an improvement over LJ, especially defense

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $764
    I hated this guy with everything in me but what if Chris Mack gets canned?…

18. schoops

schoops Well-Known Member

Money:
    $594
    I'd say no to Chris Mack I think. Wonder if Dane Fife would want the job. I'm sure he's been promised the IU job down the road. Not sure he's who we need, but would immediately be able to recruit locally.

Personally, I'd take a flyer on Nored if he would want the job, but I think he'll be an NBA head coach soon enough that I don't think he'd say yes either.

19. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,406
    It’s really too bad that Shrews went to PSU. I think he would have been a great HC here

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

DawgPoundMac and schoops like this.
  20. Southside Dawg

Southside Dawg Active Member

Money:
    $236
    I'm thinking Michael Lewis gets a shot