LaVall’s Last Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MadDawg2020, Nov 18, 2021.

1. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $480
    What you said makes sense. IU and Butler are very different. I've wondered if he wouldn't take the Butler job for at least 2-3 years to get things righted I just wasn't sure if he'd do it or not. I sure would like it if he did though.

Hinkle likes this.
  2. Daddysmack

Daddysmack Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $159
    This! Matta isn't coaching again. He has had his chances and it just isn't happening for a reason. My Intel comes from a direct family member, he basically verbally agreed to take over after Holtmann, wanted a couple days to be positive and backed out for probably the right reasons. Which is how we got LJ for better or worse. He isn't coaching again, the closest he will ever get is AD at Butler.

3. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $480
    That's what I'd heard about Matta with his health issues. His current role at IU is what makes me wonder if he isn't doing that is so that he can learn about that kind of stuff so that he can take over for Collier when he retires.

ButlerProf and Daddysmack like this.
  4. FriarDawg

FriarDawg Active Member

Money:
    $218
    Brian grew up down the street from me. Great kid. Needs more seasoning though.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

5. Mark Shelvin

Mark Shelvin Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,216
    The problem is you have around 2 seasons to flash relevance… if you go longer than that, it is very difficult to regain. Butler is just another program now, one with a poor budget and facilities within its conference. The longer this purgatory continues, the more DePaulish we become.

ButlerBoyz and dippper61 like this.
  6. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $62
    This still baffles me. Why wasn't Terry Johnson hired after Holtmann? Probably would have kept the entire staff in place. I don't blame him for leaving. Stay 10 years in one place to get passed over twice by unproven former players of the AD. Thanks Barry!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,149
    Crazy they’d hire the the butler alum with head coaching experiences who has coached at Butler, two high majors, under one of the best high major coaches-where he has led the player development for multiple first round picks.

Obviously the guy who has no head coaching experience, not an alum and only major coaching experience is Butler would have been a better choice.

Look-clearly there is a problem right now. We can all agree on that. But saying things like “how could Barry choose Lavall over Terry Johnson” just makes us look like a pretty intellectually challenged fan base.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

8. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,369
    Has the market dried up for LJ's basketball instructional videos?

9. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $62
    What the heck were we thinking hiring Brad Stevens?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ButlerProf likes this.
  10. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,149
    Aren’t you the same guy who said that there’s no defending hiring a coach with only one year under his belt?

So your solution to that is to hire a coach with *no* years under his belt?

Certainly there are exceptions to the rule, but identifying that those exist only serves to reinforce how rare they are.

With incredibly high frequency, those who are most qualified for a job are going to be the best at doing the job.

It is simply not debatable that by (successfully) coaching higher level players at a higher level of competition for longer than Johnson coached at a major conference level, and then by leading his own program for a year- Jordan was more qualified.

This doesn’t take an excessive amount of grey matter to understand.

11. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $515
    I know Butler will never really look at candidates outside those who have a connection to the program/university but I wish BC would at least take a look at Matt McMahon down at Murray State. Not saying he’s a sure-thing in a major conference but someone’s going to give him a shot soon.

willisbrown likes this.
  12. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $373
    I’m desperately trying to understand how a team full of veterans can find a way to be this sloppy with the ball and so uncoordinated on offense. It’s one thing to be ugly on offense, but my God we look so disconnected right now. As bad as this game was, we were only a few unforced turnovers away from being capable of a win. I practically gritted my teeth in frustration after watching Butler fail to block out, cough the ball up at half court, and also miss guys cutting from the weak side for potential easy baskets. They’ve seemingly lost all aptitude for doing the little things that can make all the difference. Losing Nze should not cause this much turmoil for them.

13. znelson15

znelson15 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,440
    Honestly I have a out there theory that I have been thinking about a lot but I think the seniors coming back hurt the underclass men.

I think the underclass were ready to do what they need and take over but all the seniors came back to play.

There is a big gap between Harris, Tate, wilmoth and the seniors.

I think it creates pressure for the seniors to be all stars or the younger guys were going to get upset.

I may be way of with this but I see the chemistry and it’s not there and this is what my feeling would be if I were a younger player ready to take over the program.

I had this feeling when I played small naia college basketball at minot state in North Dakota. Coach talked me up in practice and o was playing great but the upperclassmen played more and got the run.

14. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $373
  15. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,315
    Well, a non biased person is seeing the same thing we are.

dippper61, bmradio99 and willisbrown like this.
  16. PSUButlerFan

PSUButlerFan Well-Known Member

Money:
    $17,286
    DawgPoundMac, ButlerNut and znelson15 like this.
  17. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $8,599
    I just posted similar in the game thread. And did it before I came here

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

18. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,381
    I failed to mention him last night. Great call. Any of these that have been listed would run circles around LaVall and this staff.

19. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $480
    I honestly think I could run circles around LaVall and I’m not even joking on that. He’s just been bad.

willisbrown likes this.
  20. SnoopDawg

SnoopDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,806
    More than a pipe dream, but what if Brad's pockets are full enough and he decides he has unfinished business at Butler?

Yes, I'm delusional, but the timing makes sense to a degree.

mwall787 and UDDawg like this.