LaVall’s Last Season

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MadDawg2020, Nov 18, 2021.

1. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $13,331
    Bingo. Anyone out there any of you would really lose sleep over losing if it meant there was a new direction and the rebuilding of the program was on? I can't think of one. It's a group of ok to meh players for this level. If we have to go through absolute patchwork hell for a couple years to get this thing reinvented...I'm completely ok with that.

dippper61 likes this.
  2. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Well-Known Member

Money:
    $757
    First off, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone on the board.
    Second, I really wish Lavall was working out. I really can’t imagine how it must feel to sit on the sideline and know ur job is in jeopardy. U have to believe it eats at him that he just can’t get over that hump. He seems like a really good dude so u know he’s also stressed over his assistants. I know it’s a business but it’s still people’s (with families) lives we are talking about.
    Saying all of that, Butler basketball has to come first. BC has to take emotions out of his decision and do what’s best for the program. I am not concerned who leaves or stays, I hope they all stay. However, a change is becoming more and more evident. Some people just are meant to be assistants. Some people are meant to be the man. I am just not convinced Lavall is the man. Not right now anyway.

3. IrishDawghouse

IrishDawghouse Well-Known Member

Money:
    $453
    Some people would freak out if that name was seriously brought up, but just imagine the excitement it would bring to the program. I mean, Iona vs Alabama is a matchup that people are drooling over to watch today… Iona. Say what you want about the man, but he knows how to win and he would bring ultra attention to the program. If relevancy is actually a big worry, this is a simple solution. And Ik Ik do I have any morals?! None of that stuff would even be talked about a year or two down the road. “Winning solves everything”

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

MadDawg2020 and willisbrown like this.
  4. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,437
    Whether you like him or not, he would instantly make BU relevant again. The TV talking heads would have a reason to bring up Butler. No one has any incentive to do that with LJ because no one cares about him nationally. He's a brand drain on the program.

Who ever the next HC is, I feel strongly it needs to be a nationally recognized figure. One of the primary reasons we joined the BE is for the awareness potential and increase in marketing reach. Then the AD decided to hire two alumni coaches that have no national awareness whatsoever.

Barry doesn't know how to leverage this opportunity. It doesn't matter how good of a guy he is. We need someone who understands how to take BU to the next level... and has done it before.

5. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,296
    Just listening to Dakich’s radio show I’ve always had the feeling he wasn’t much of a fan of Butler basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

ConnersvilleBulldog likes this.
  6. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,056
    You hire Dakich only if you want this program to crater. Talk about getting to DePaul level irrelevance.

#60 and Hinkle like this.
  7. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,207
    Or worse.

Sent from my iPhone, so it’s probably not written all that well

BUcheer and #60 like this.
  8. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,506
    I think he goes out of his way not to talk about it. I think it may go back to when we beat Ohio State LaVall's first year. I heard some people gave him and his son a hard time after that game was over. He definitely wants Butler to be irrelevant.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Butler Hoops mobile app

9. Danville Bulldog

Danville Bulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $1,969
    I think Larry Bird would be a good choice if he shows any interest.

10. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $9,364
    If and when BU considers actually making inquiries for a replacement, the expectations should be realistic. With that perspective in mind, a name brand coach simply will not be in the equation. BU is not exactly a premier destination at the moment. There are several potential candidates with a connection to the program that could be considered, none of which have head coaching experience, yet all are viable. I do believe there are other outsiders that could merit consideration as well. Now if BC would decide to retire, all bets are off the table. That's a big if...

11. MSUDawg

MSUDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,502
    Been off traveling, so am out of date to some large degree, but have scanned this thread and can see the mob has turned on LaVall, which is par for the course. But if there is a coaching slot coming available in the next year or two, it would be nice to ponder the idea of Hayward retiring from the NBA and considering the BU job. He is approaching that juncture of his career, and the success of Penny Haradway and Juwan Howard seems to point to the idea that NBA success leads to success in college recruiting - which is 70% of the battle in generating W's.

12. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,101
    This is certainly a post on butlerhoops.com.

13. ap234

ap234 Active Member

Money:
    $479
    If Butler went the NBA route Ron will be the next coach. Kam Woods and Barlow would be assistant options. Hayward isn’t retiring and jumping straight into a head coaching gig. If they go with a young guy like that or an NBA guy in general a great staff would have to be constructed that has college experience like at Michigan and Indiana to surround guys with zero college experience.

14. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $348
    On the surface it sounds promising if Butler were to get an alumnus, particularly one with NBA connections, to come back and coach. My only concern with this idea is that these guys are still fairly young and are trying to climb the NBA latter, meaning that’s probably still their end goal career wise. Whether it’s Barlow, Woods, or Nored; it’s likely that none of these guys will look at the Butler job as anything more than a stepping stone to something bigger, and we already have a hard time getting coaches to stay long term as is. Perhaps one day when these guys are older, having already had a bigger taste of the big time, they’ll become more logical options. That being said, if they were to say yes, I wouldn’t say no.

15. Shark

Shark Member

Money:
    $154
    Before I know if LJ is responsible for these last few years and should be let go, I need to know if he has the ability to hire/fire the training and strength/conditioning staff for the mens' team. After 3 years of being "super unlucky injury wise", I'm beginning to think it's not just bad luck.

2xDawg, BU4lyfe and willisbrown like this.
  16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $8,101
    I don’t think we should infer that just because somebody is in the nba to start their career, that that’s the only place they’d be happy ending their career.

17. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,331
    I remember many of us getting tatoo'd for having that opinion last season. Glad people are catching on.

2xDawg likes this.
  18. Cranjis McBasketball

Cranjis McBasketball Well-Known Member

Money:
    $955
    Got the email for Black Friday ticket deals for butler basketball. I’d be curious to see how sales this year compare with the last few years. Not just Black Friday sales but just tickets sold in general this season. I anticipate there being a large drop off if things don’t turn around soon. I was thinking about driving from Cincinnati to a few games this season at hinkle but not if they play like what we’ve seen so far. It’s just no fun to watch. Hell, I don’t even know if I want to go to the Xavier vs Butler game and I live 10 minutes walking distance to Cintas. (Neighbors are Xavier students)

19. Shane Davis

Shane Davis Active Member

Money:
    $348

I would say this is probably true….But, I also think that considering 2020 was such a bizarre case in which it didn’t allow schools to conduct practices like normal to get back into shape, it seemed reasonable enough for many to assume that guys just weren’t conditioned well enough for the competition ahead of them. Clearly it felt like the worst luck we’ve ever witnessed in a season, so it was easy to just blame COVID. But it’s a new season now, and those excuses shouldn’t be valid anymore, and yet here we are still dropping like flies. Something definitely doesn’t feel right about all this.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 2:49 PM
    willisbrown likes this.
  20. willisbrown

Money:
    $13,331
    Yep. Last year was easy to drum up excuses and blame covid...but other teams didn't go through what we did. Not at that level of injury. And your last line is exactly how I've been feeling-something just isn't right. The play is substandard, the coaching is hella substandard, the discipline on and off the court is a little checkered and for two years now guys are dropping like flies as you said. The whole thing just stinks and my question is this:

When do we say "the buck stops here" with all of this. Count up the last 14 or so months...when/where does the buck stop? It's LaVall's team...and there is not one part of it that is positive right now (nor has been for a year+).