Lavall Jordan Replacement (seriously not serious)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Irishdawg

Irishdawg Banned User VIP Member

Money:
    $34
    Our current roster was ranked 9th, 7th, 9th and 9th in the Big East in recruiting rankings. I think part of what's caught up to Butler is when they aren't all on the same page, there isn't enough talent to compensate for those gaps when facing good teams.

FWIW, next year's class is currently rated 4th in the league.

I do agree as a staff they need to show more progress, but the current roster isn't great because there are 2 (possibly 3 because Kyle Young left) classes that were shortchanged because of late coaching changes (2015, 2018), one solid, but unimpressive when taken against the rest of the league (2016), and one that Butler fans thought was impressive at the time but hasn't paid much in the way of dividends yet (2017) from the former staff.

2. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,969
    I think people are forgetting how late in the game Bolt left and gave LJ no choice or chance to maybe get the staff he wanted or available at that late in the summer. They did what they could anger had to last year. But now this off-season he has to reevaluate in my mind is been a couple years now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,447
    Agree on the level of talent but defense comes from the heart and mind more so than talent- see Nored and Barlow. Offense is a different story.

I think we are seeing why we got a point guard that has trouble shooting even free throws and a big that few went after. We have anotherthird starter who didn’t play his senior year in high school plus a transfer from who didn’t play much at a mid major. Yet we , me included, expect a different outcome from LJ.

estar20dawg likes this.
  4. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,057
    I dont really understand why you are so negative regarding Thompson. He has his offensive limitations, but he is going to be a hell of a leader for this team the next couple years, plays incredible defense most of the time and runs the offense well. He has worked his tail off to improve his shot and we are starting to see those dividends. He will never be a volume shooter, but he is starting to become a bit of a slasher and is finishing well at the rim.

I just don't see a lot to hate.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    pappyball, bwesson15, Shimmy and 3 others like this.
  5. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,969
    He's a better version of Norad in my eyes which I'll take in a heart beat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    Where did I say I hated him? Other than California Irvine he hasn't been much on offense. Unfortunately there are two ends of the floor. This isn't old school girls basketball. Granted he played better today but the prior two games he was bad on both ends. All I said was AT struggles shooting. That is on him.

7. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,057
    To be clear, I wasn't saying you hate him. "I dont see a lot to hate" is just a figure of speach, meaning I dont see much to by unhappy about. I've just noticed that most of your posts about Thompson seem to be generally negative.

I agree there are two ends of the floor, but there are other ways to contribute to the offense end than putting the ball through the hoop. He has great court vision, gets into the paint to suck the defense in to create open looks on the perimeter, and he has become enough of a shooter that teams are no longer sagging off him as bad as they did last year.

It feels like you have an idea of what a gaurd "should" be and since Thompson doesnt fit in that box, you aren't a fan.

Maybe I'm wrong, I dont really mind either way, just curious what is shaping your posts.

8. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,680
    “Deer Harvesting,

Your a grate poster. You are two kind to jump to my defense. Its nice to no that their are people that are sew thought full.

Respectfully your’s,

Greg”

Yes - this is extremely sarcastic and it was equally as painful to type.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

estar20dawg, Dewars12 and Tentozen like this.
  9. ghostryder

ghostryder Active Member

Money:
    $126
    This team would, imho, fall apart without Thompson. He is the glue guy. The difference is especially apparent in close games.

Re past recruiting, Baddley has developed nicely and seeing him start is not a bad thing; Brunk has been a revelation, and David is coming around. Sean MAC, I think, has hit his ceiling, but it’s high enough to be an asset. I compare him to Dunham in terms of contributions and while he comes up short in terms of offense I think he balances it out with hustle plays and scrappiness.

Daddysmack likes this.
  10. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $407
    Won't argue with the 2nd bit. It's a good reminder that we can't just import coaching talent like other programmes can, at least not yet. However, I think we can have Michigan recruits. Recruiting ranking class numbers demonstrate that Xavier and Creighton recruits as well as Michigan, and I think we'd all hope to compete with X/Creighton in recruiting even with our disadvantage in budget, facilities, etc. Of course if Michigan goes stratospheric in recruiting after the success of this season then it's a different conversation, but I don't put them up there with Kansas, UK, Duke, MSU, Zona, etc in terms of recruiting. Maybe we should but their track record dictates otherwise. Class rankings from 247sports.com. Then again, you are more active in recruiting news/content so maybe you've got a better metric/evidence to support the statement we'll never get Michigan recruits.

Furthermore, if we never have Michigan recruits, are we ever going to win the Big East?

YEAR C M B V X
    2014 59 30 62 48 15
    2015 69 107 103 29 119
    2016 44 31 47 45 28
    2017 25 43 62 28 11
    2018 42 12 103 9 65
    AVG 47.8 44.6 75.4 31.8 47.6

TheDawgDub95 likes this.
  11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,212
    There is no reason, with our success, hinkle, Indy and our conference we shouldn't be in the top half of our conference in recruiting year in and year out, and top 40ish nationally.

12. OldSchoolDawg1983

OldSchoolDawg1983 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $345
    Do these conference recruiting rankings include transfers? If so, then Butler has well over-achieved in the BE during this time. Expecting consistent top half conference finishes would be exceptionally ambitious.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

13. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,353
    It should be noted that BU sports budget in regards to recruiting remains toward the bottom of the conference.

14. TheDawgDub95

TheDawgDub95 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $712
    I agree with this completely. My expectation is that we will compete with these programs on and off the court. It is true we don't have the same budget and we have an uphill battle, but the mindset of we won't recruit the same type of size/talent as a Michigan, et al, or Caleb Furst (or anyone like him) wouldn't choose to come to Butler really bothers me.

Maybe I am setting myself up for disappointment, but my expectation for this program, within the next 5 years, is to start being nationally relevant (top 15 or 20) more years than not.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Butler Hoops mobile app

15. seadawg

seadawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,353
    That assertion is totally reasonable although I would expect that to never be the norm year in and year out.

16. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $396
    There has been quite a bit of discussion about the assistant coaches and what they do or don't bring to the table. I'm just curious as to how we are to know what they do or don't do in regards to game planning. I seem to remember LaVall giving credit to Kampen on a couple of occasions for drawing up the defensive game plan in games where they played very well defensively; but other than that, I have not really heard much as to what they are contributing or not contributing. Like I said, I am just curious as to what people know that would make them say that Jordan needs to look a t replacing some of the assistant coaches.

17. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,447
    This disgustion started with the recruiting classes being in the 9 range the past 4-5 years. AT was part of those rankings. Again I don’t hate him and feel AT is making progress. But if basketball is now a guard focused game we need a point guard that averages 8-10 points and five assists a game and brings it defensively every gsme and not just against teams like Cal Irvine if we want to be an elite BE team.

If you think AT is at that level then good for you. I’m not a buyer yet. I’m looking forward to seeing how he plays against Marquette, SJU and Villanova on both ends of the floor.

Sorry I hit a sore spot

18. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,057
    A sore spot? Not sure why you are coming in so defensive as I never once used any combative language. It was just an honest question that I thought would be an interesting discussion, considering you seem to be on a bit of an island with you opinion of AT. Again, I never said you "hate him" and seriously, throwing a "Good for you" at me? Such a condescending phrase.

Oh well, good talk. Carry on.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  19. I Am Butler

Money:
    $4,057
    Strictly looking at Points and Assists per game, he is playing at an level that Nored only exceed his Senior year, and that was in the Horizon Leage. Barlow never averaged as many assists and didn't reach AT's current scoring volume until his Junior year, before jumping to 8.9 ppg his Senior year.

Now maybe the argument is that Butler needs to do better than that going forward, and I agree. But Thompson, in his Sophomore year, is matching 2 of Butlers best defensive PG's on both sides of the ball.

20. harvesting

harvesting Member VIP Member

Money:
    $152
    Oh...so you’re “that guy”. You know the “funny guy” whose NOT funny, not even kind of.

The one everyone tries to avoid for fear they will have to spend 5 painful minutes trying to act interested while also trying to catch the eye of someone...anyone, to save them from the absolute torture of you.

The guy who only gets invited because the cousin of one of his 3 friends/forum buddies (also not funny, but tired of buying dates that go nowhere fast, decide to hang out and not be funny together) promised his mom.

It’s a sad thing being “that guy”, everyone in your life has been faking it for years.

Oh and YES...this also is extremely sarcastic, but probably equally accurate.

Go Dawgs!

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Trumpforpresident2020 likes this.