Lavall Jordan Replacement (seriously not serious)

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Jan 4, 2019.

1. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,567
    I have the sense that people started calling for the heads of the assistants once it became unpopular to call for Jordan to be fired. It was the same sort of frustrated freak-outs as wanting Jordan gone but transferred to multiple unnamed underlings instead.

2. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    No, I’ve been criticizing the assistants because I know how delegation of responsibilities work on coaching staffs. Certain things, such as the personnel scouts, are the responsibilities of the assistant coaches.

How many times have we seen ourselves lose shooters? That’s a preparation issue.

Opponent specific things tend to fall more on the assistants, more fundamental issues fall more with the head coach.

Until Wednesday against Georgetown there wasn’t much to substantiate any fundamental issues, and on Wednesday there were so many that it was hard to know if it was a regression or more likely a lull.

I see repeated game planning problems, and repeatedly solid in game adjustments. That’s an indictment of the assistants and credit to the head coach.

To be fair, I think the assistants did an excellent job on Saturday. We just need more of that and a response when teams learn to adjust, especially if switching everything becomes the norm even though it would surprise me if it did.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

mwall787 and BU_NeonHat like this.
  3. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,979
    Or the players held themselves accountable finally at their players only meeting saying we know how to play hands swarming defense, don't need to wait for an assistant to tell us. Could be either way...

4. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $5,522
    Wow - scathing. Not even close to accurate, but way to give it the old college try.

Lighten up, dude. You’re the poster child for gun control.

5. I Am Butler

I Am Butler Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,859
    Curious, I never heard anything definitive, but I saw AJ Graves, Matt Howard and Chase Stigall were all in attendance. Was that a coincidence or intentional? Did they address the team or were they there for some other reason?

I wasn't at the game to know if they were acknowledged for something.

6. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    In all likelihood both ways.

7. Trumpforpresident2020

Trumpforpresident2020 Active Member

I said the same thing just the other day. Holy Crap...... estar....... we agree on something!

8. Gregory Roach

Gregory Roach Active Member

Money:
    $345
    In agreement and amplification.

Thompson started this season with the "appearance" that he had overcome his major shortcoming, jump shots. He looked comfortable early on and took several at key moments. Post the Battle for Atlantis, he started slipping into his old comfortable ways.

To this day, Thompson has all the skills necessary to be a very good PG. He has speed, generally good court awareness, quick hands/feet and generally gives great energy. He continues to lack confidence in his outside game and is still prone to picking up unnecessary touch or blocking fouls.

When he was willing to take outside shots, his capability to get to the rim and FINISH are greatly improved over his Freshman season. He becomes a true attacking weapon.

At least twice during Creighton, AT was wide open (opponent had given him 5-7 feet) at the three point line and he failed to take the shot passing instead into a less effective attacking position. Most of section 204 moaned each possession over what was an obvious lack of confidence in his shot. The result, he cannot use his speed to drive as defenders have laid so far off of him. For all intents and purposes, he has been neutered on the attacking side of the ball.

Lastly, as in the Creighton game, his tendency to make silly touch fouls or attempt high risk charging gambles, limits his PT and his effectiveness.

I love this kids capabilities and ball handling skills. I love his desire and energy. He simply has to learn from his mistakes. Apparently AT needs to continue hitting the wall on these two areas of weakness until the lessons sink in. Hopefully that happens prior to the end of the season. Without making those two adjustments, his ability to contribute to this team will be limited on both ends of the floor, or worse as he sits on the bench due to early fouls making zero contribution.

znelson15 likes this.
  9. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,567
    In my opinion, it is critical to have AT in the game as much as possible even if he's not playing that well* because there is a serious issue when he's not playing point. And that is, KB hero-ball along with its symptoms: poor decision making, selfishness, blocked/missed shots and extreme offensive constipation.

KB is integral and has the ability to play oh so well. Unfortunately he seems to have a mental block that only allows him to play smart basketball when he's not the quarterback. Probably because he's not a QB. He's a running back who catches passes in the flat then exquisitely jukes his way into the end zone.

AT does have a problem with silly touch fouls but then again, he's an "in-your-shorts" type of defender and you're going to see a fair number of fouls from them. Bright side of that is: he's an "in-your-shorts" type of defender, pretty good at it with potential to be almost elite, IMO. There are adjustments that can be made that would make him an even better player, to be sure. He is a sophomore. He is moving along the learning curve faster than some.

*but obviously not if he is actively and repeatedly hurting the team

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  10. shoeevv

shoeevv Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $739
    I think all the angst regarding Kamar is ridiculous. He’s by far the best player on the floor every game and the “bad” decisions that some call out are not the result of his incompetence, but a lack of other options.

TheDawgDub95 and Ster8462 like this.
  11. Dewars12

Dewars12 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $866
    Wrong forum, but his pounding the ball at the beginning of the shot clock for 15 seconds is ridiculous - that, in my opinion, is coaching (whether allowing it, being happy with it or not correcting it). KB doesn't get to the line often because he is mostly fading away, whether jump shots or even when going to the basket. He has skills as a slasher off the pass due to his quickness, mid-game score - but the 3-point pound it for 15 seconds with no passes at the start of of a possession has to stop in my opinion. It's brutal...

harvesting likes this.
  12. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,567
    No doubt Baldwin is the best individual player on the floor for Butler. He is gifted. It is possible nonetheless for him to play less than intelligent basketball. Indeed, this has been happening all season more often than not.

Is he the one deciding to kill most of the shot clock dribbling and then throwing up an ill-fated heave at the last second? Or is he being instructed to do so?

Somebody, somewhere, is not doing something right. I don't know who is responsible but it's not sound basketball, IMO.