Let's Dance

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by BulldogsAllTheWay, Mar 5, 2016.

1. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,087
    It's time for the Butler faithful to eat some crow. You know who you are. We've criticized this team all season long. Many of us counted them out and said they were NIT bound. I'm included in that mix. I was a basket case after the Xavier game. I questioned Rosie and Dunham's leadership and toughness. I couldn't have been more wrong.

This team has been damn good the last month.They rose from the ashes of the 3-6 start in the BE and have truly impressed me. This team is playing its best basketball of the season and it's due to those 4 seniors who were honored today. I couldn't help but get misty a few times this afternoon. Everything is coming together with this squad.

Let's whoop some ass next week in New York. Play like there's nothing to lose cause there isn't. We can do some damage. This is going to be a special March. I can feel it.

My hat is off to these guys. I was wrong about them. They're having fun again and I couldn't be more proud. Let's dance fellas...all the way to Houston.

2. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,240
    Not sure there is enough crow to feed all you guys. I never lost confidence. As long as I saw periods of improvement I knew it would come together. IU benefitted from a back-loaded B1G schedule. They grew as a team and so did Crean. Butler had a front-loaded BE schedule. It made them look not as good as they were. I wonder what their record would have been with the schedule reversed? Perhaps 12-6? In any case we are going to have a 50/50 shot at playing 'Nova one more time. And to that I say......why not?

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

3. ButlerGoalie

ButlerGoalie Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,715
    This team pour their backs against the wall and have shown moments of complete ineptitude in letting large leads evaporate but I give them full marks for taking care of business this last month plus. One misstep and they were out but they delivered.

I do think that our dissatisfaction stemmed from what we saw as wasted opportunity. Now they can relax and anything is possible. Best yet? Now we get to play teams who haven't game planned for Rosie, Dunham or even know who Martin is.

At this point it's all about our draw and our ability to play even passable defense.

4. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $268
    This is the perfect year to "just get in". Beat Providence (Butler will be favored in that game) and Butler is likely a 7-9 seed. 7 gets us a 2 seed in R2 and is anyone really afraid of anybody in the Top 10? Guys like Rose Jones just take it to an all new level come tourney time- now Chrabs and even AE are peaking. I will guarantee you nobody wants to play this team two weeks from now. That being said- a bad matchup and out we go in R1. First things first- payback time against a very mediocre Providence team. I'm afraid even Dunn banking in his 3's from the top of the key will not be enough.

5. Hinkle

Hinkle Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,841
    Predict the seed if:

1) Lose to providence
    2) beat providence lose to nova
    3) beat nova and providence and lose to seton hall or Xavier
    4) win big east tourney

I say:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Shark

Shark Member

Money:
    $150
    10, 9, 6, 5

7. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,623
    1) 10
    2) 7
    3) 6
    4) 5

They will take into account that we got most of our losses in January and reward us for the Feb and Nov-Dec excellent play, if we get past the Friars.

8. ndfan1993

ndfan1993 Active Member

Money:
    $6
    As was mentioned...the turning point of this season may have been the moment when AE's sub was at the scorers table ready to check in and he banged home that 3 against Creighton....his emergence and taking the pressure off AC has been the reason for this fight at the finish.

If you would have told me that AE would score 18 points in a game....

9. gmoser1210

gmoser1210 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $465

10. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,344
    Agree, Etherington was fantastic today. Can't say enough about the difference in this team from January to March. Very fun atmosphere today. Let's hope we take this momentum to MSG and keep building on the many things going right.

11. Nildogg

Nildogg Active Member

Money:
    $8,591
    Safe to say, we are playing our best basketball right now with the emergence of Etherington, and improved defense. Martin hasn't been blowing up like he was, but I think thats actually a good thing to have the balance we've been seeing. I like our chances against Providence, and after that we're playing with house money.

12. I like turtles

I like turtles Well-Known Member

Money:
    $656

We have always been under seeded. No reason to think that would change.

13. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    I say:

We are hot right now and yesterday we finally closed out a game (not always easy to do). I think the 8 deep rotation and quite honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with the seniors + Wideman combo. That said, I want to stay of the 10 seed line because from an athletic standpoint, there are some 2's out there I don't want any part of in the round of 32. Get to the round of 16 and anything can happen.

14. JCA 2013

JCA 2013 Active Member

Money:
    $197
    Would you rather play any of the 1s? I'm not sure seeding means that much at this point, unless we beat PC, Nova, and X to finish the year and end up a 6 seed. We are going to have a game in round one where we are favored, even we the lower seed. And then in round two we will be a major underdog playing a top 10 team. We'll need to pull off some magic one way or another. But I'm not sure the trade off between 8/9 and 7/10 is worth playing a potential number one overall.

15. WMUDog

WMUDog Well-Known Member

Money:
    $850
    I certainly was disappointed after the first Marquette game that left us at 3-6. I dug up one of my posts from hours after the game. See below. (I can't figure out how to forward the post so I just cut and pasted.

I can’t decide if I want to keep pouting and keep the pessimism going for a while longer or if it is time to turn it around and look forward. Let me try out both cases and see how they look written down.

Case 1: This team is finished. Holtman clearly isn’t the man. AC and Gathers shouldn’t see the court again. We have no drive, no IQ, and can’t finish. We will be lucky to back into the NIT.

Case 2: I think we would have beaten Creighton and Marquette had Lewis played. We should have closed out the fist Providence game. Some hot 3-point shooting changed the course of that game. We could have beaten Villanova if not for the slow start to the 2nd half. A couple of bounces go our way and we beat Providence on the road. Hell we could be 8-1. AC and Gathers will get their mojo back, we win a couple in a row and our confidence builds and we get on a run. We finish the season going 7-2 In Holtman we trust.

What do you all think?

16. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,902
    You know, you ask the seeding question and it puts a dirty thought into my mind now that I think we're safely in...is it better to lose Thursday night? I would MUCH rather be a 10 or 11 than an 8 or 9, especially this year. We got lucky as all hell that's holy a few years ago, when an 8, drawing the Pitt bracket because they were good, but they matched up so well with what we were. This year, the teams that I see as 1s, I'm not so sure...I mean obviously I'm rooting like hell for our guys come Thursday. BUT, in the case we lose, I'm kinda like, meh, whatever. It'll be a 10/11 seed then and I like that lay out much better anyway. I think it lands like this...lose, 10, win, 9, win twice 6, burn the whole ***** down and probably a 5.

17. MilkSteak

MilkSteak Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,516
    Oklahoma is honestly the only Top 10 team that scares me. Maybe Michigan State too.

EDIT: X too, obviously. But we probably wouldn't face them.

18. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,522
    We can't face X or Nova before the second weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. mizebl

mizebl Active Member

Money:
    $222
    Non play in 11 or a 6 seed would be doable and more preferable IMO. I think a 5 seed is probably a bridge too far and I really can't see us dropping to a 12, but obviously we will take what we can get and that is probably the scenario your are talking about above.

20. butlerfan

butlerfan New Member

Money:
    $6,351
    AE's emergence has been huge, but I really think the turning point of this year was delivered to us by our arch rival Xavier. They stuck it to us at Hinkle. I think that game embarassed the players/the staff and anyone associated with this program. We were actually playing some pretty good ball heading into that X game, but then things came unglued that day. Since then, I've seen a fire out of this team that has been BURNING. These players are just different since then. They didn't like that day AT ALL. I absolutely hated it sitting there and viewing it. I can't even begin to imagine what was going on in the "players inner circle" and in the locker room. They have only lost once since then(to Nova)...and I thought we played really well at Nova. BET is going to be interesting.....