LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $382
    Alright, let's get it on record so we can dish out some crow (to one side or the other) in the next couple of seasons. You can only choose one option and ya gotta vote to see the results! Votes will be displayed publicly.

Don't need the debate...we've got that going on elsewhere. Just a simple mechanism to see where we all stand because it's clear we are all over the map with this one.

bmradio99 likes this.
  2. UDDawg

UDDawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $6,128
    In fairness, feels like there should be an option between "Two more years" and "Lifer," though I admit I don't know what that would be.

3. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $5,571
    I agree. I think - barring a complete disaster of a season or some off court problem - he should get at least two, if not three more years to get his recruits in and to develop them.

4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,426
    I'm really curious to see the 2020 class, for me that's the deal breaker, he had the head start to get out there and forge all those relationships for 2+ years now especially with how quick the 2019 class went. If we don't get 2 top 100+ caliber kids and the on court product is what it was then there needs to be some cord cutting thoughts

5. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $78
  6. HinkleMagic319

HinkleMagic319 Member

Money:
    $110
    KCbufan21 and bumba like this.
  7. BU Fan in Illinois

BU Fan in Illinois Active Member

Money:
    $152
    Need the option...He stays but his staff needs to go....

KCbufan21, bumba, jkcdawgs and 4 others like this.
  8. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,282
    Right, but something like 8 years in the coaching world is a lifetime these days...so I don't know that something between "another two years" and "lifer" really means much.

Also - a lot depends on candidates available. Like, if Nebraska is going to be dumb enough to fire Tim Miles (that was a rumor earlier in the year!), you 100% do it. But if there's not a candidate out there you really want...well, that's how you end up where we are now.

9. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $11,779
    Two more unless attitude on the floor tanks again then just this next year

bumba likes this.
  10. mwall787

mwall787 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,036
    Agree with BU fan in Illinois...LJ stays at least 1 more year...but staff changes need to be made with his approval or not.

He was dealt a crappy hand with assistants that were available when he was hired and it’s time to upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

11. Hank Kimball

Hank Kimball Member

Money:
    $87
    Kampen and Meyers need to go. Need to bring in an X's and O's guy to install an offense as opposed to running the weave thirty feet from the basket on just about every possession. LJ is clueless when it comes to running an offense. I still don't think we have the players to compete in the BE. KB is the only player on Butler's current team that could start for other BE teams. It's going to take sometime to turn things around. Just my opinion.

cornette33 and SnoopDawg like this.
  12. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $799
    Holtmann's leaving and Jordan's hiring came at bad time, trying to build a staff within six weeks of a scheduled European trip is tough. At the same time keeping
    recruits and building new relationships had to take place, just a bad mess all around. A lot of work has to be done between now and next season foremost is building
    a staff and roster that can compete in the Big East.

13. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $419
    I like LaVall. I desperately want him to succeed but Butler can't have another season like this season and keep him.

When I say "season like this season" I don't necessarily mean record-wise (although that would be bad). I mean in terms of individual player growth and development and improvement in execution by the team as a whole. This season disappointed me because I can't point to a player who is obviously better (Christian David grew defensively but not offensively) and the team's overall execution, especially on defense, never got any better.

Maybe he and the players get it figured out this off-season and they fit these puzzle pieces together. If so, awesome. No one will be happier than me.

14. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,161
    The assistant coaches need to be the head coach’s decision though. If LaVall wants to live or die with the staff he’s got, then Butler needs to let him do it. It’s not a good look to fire assistants for performance reasons against the will of the head coach.

As for LaVall himself, you absolutely cannot get rid of him this year. I personally think this discussion is going to be up there with the “has Holt lost the team” thread by this time next season. I’m still fully aboard the LaVall train and I’m excited for next season. It’s really always been about next season as the big year anyways. I was hopeful it would come together a year early, and I was wrong. But that hasn’t changed how good I think next year’s team should be.

pappyball, BGDawgFan, jal8908 and 7 others like this.
  15. TKE Ghost

TKE Ghost New Member

Money:
    $15
    I guarantee Collier is not pleased with where things are headed- but one of the biggest problems right now is coaching turnover itself. If it wasn't for the Miller fiasco and Holtmann jumping ship, the team would look very different right now. We need LaVall to stay for the moment just for recruiting stability.

That being said... I do not have a lot of faith in LJ as the future of this program. Hard to watch as they seemingly get worse every week.

16. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,947
    Holt did lose the team though, just like 6 months after we had that discussion.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

17. Jared Grubbs

Jared Grubbs Administrator Staff Member

Money:
    $15,161
    Well played

cornette33 and ButlerNut like this.
  18. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,972
    What's the purpose of this poll? If people vote, and once results are posted, this thread will devolve into the inane crap going on elsewhere on this board. Everyone has an opinion, and behind a keyboard, everyone is confident enough to believe their opinion is right. Is Barry Collier going to look here and say, "Gee, LaVall. I like you. I want you to stay. But a bunch of anonymous posters that never went to Butler say you have to go."?

This isn't a private message board where you can say/do stuff on here and no one except people with accounts can read it.

19. Butler_Boatdawgs456

Butler_Boatdawgs456 Member

Money:
    $78
    I was all aboard the next year is the year to be really good train. But with limited signs of growth and improvement were running the same thing back pretty much... even if Battle is a home run and is stellar, he’s not pushing the needle from out of NIT to top 4-5 finish in the big east is he? Best case scenario he comes off the bench and averages around 10 points a game + Tucker makes a jump in consistently. But even then we’ll have one playable center who’s peak is super nice and cool elementary school history teacher.

IndyDawgs likes this.
  20. theenforcer13

theenforcer13 #barlowing

Money:
    $20,512
    Obviously not pleased with the way this season went. Vall's inability to understand game flow/adjustments is frightening. Other than Tucker he didn't recruit a single player who saw the court this year. Next year's class of Battle, Nze, and Mulloy is solid. It has to keep getting better though. Who are they going to get in 2020 that is a stud? This is the concern.

You don't fire a coach because they miss the tournament one year. Barry will give Vall another year at least, most likely 2 IMO. If he misses the tourney 3 years in a row he's gone.

Would really love to see the assistant spots upgraded. See if you can get Thad in there... perfectly fine saying thanks for your service to Kampen. I dunno what Lowery brings to the table. It's unfortunate most of the Butler guys are in the NBA. Would love to get Michael Lewis back if Miles gets **** canned.