LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $19
    He should get 2 more years. The bigger question is who replaces him? I want LJ to succeed and bring great things to Butler. However, why get rid of the coach if we are going to hire another former player/assistant with limited or no coaching experience?

We would need to go after an up and coming low major coach or try to lure a quality coach at a football school to us where basketball is the main attraction. If Barry is unwilling to do that, then keep LJ

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pappyball likes this.
  2. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,738
    Boot him. Every one of his players went backwards and got worse as the season evolved. Not one damn improvement.

3. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,738
    Also...when he does get canned in a year or two, unless it is Thad, you have to go outside the family on this Next one.

4. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    My best friend was a cheerleader then and that is just patently false

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

5. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $169
    LJ has done some bad coaching and it’s miserable to watch but it’s tough to justify a firing after 2 seasons although I’ve seen enough @ times. I’d give him another year but get rid of all the assistants and hire highly qualified proven assistant coaches. And LJ needs to take charge. If you watch him and his assistants interact it’s like no one knows what’s going on. Seems like in-game adjustments don’t even exist. It also seems like the intent of in bounds plays is just to get it in and never to score. 2 most glaring mistakes to me are not better managing a 10 point lead @ Xavier with only a few minutes to go and not guarding the player throwing the ball in vs Providence @ home with only 2 seconds left on the shot clock-they hit a 3. Game over = no chance for the last possession and a chance to tie or win.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  6. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    I think Jordan should at least get another year for continuity and recruiting's sake.

However, if he has another down year, with little to no improvement, I think that should be all she wrote.

You also have to ask at this point whether Butler takes another chance on another young and unproven head coach because missing on another head coach after Jordan could potentially put them in the basement permanently in the Big East. That would make me weary of a Ron Nored type.

If Jordan flops again, Thad Matta seems like the best candidate, but Collier will have to pony up some cash. Something that Butler hasn't done when it's come to retaining their best coaches.

willisbrown likes this.
  7. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Pretty sure the Ronald Nored ship has sailed. I fully expect he'll be an NBA head coach before he coaches college again, if ever.

8. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,653
    Blatant lie concerning Miller and you need to retract that or better yet leave this forum! You better hope you have liability insurance to cover what you just wrote if the Miller family ever comes after you.

9. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    Really really really hope that Butler isn't looking for a new HC next year but if they are and Collier finds some money to spend I'd be willing to give Steve Alford a shot.

willisbrown and Hinkle Nation like this.
  10. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $199

11. tedfrye

tedfrye Active Member

Money:
    $169
    Why are you all anointing
    Ronald Nored? Crazy.
    So many other better qualified proven head coaches out there.

pharmtard09 and Insane Dawg like this.
  12. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    I think Lavall deserves time to get the guys he recruits in! Next year should be better

13. LA-OC-IE

LA-OC-IE Active Member

Money:
    $199
    You forgot Hastings. Does Hastings have any potential to contribute next year? Even if he can defend.... can he defend? What’s the story?

14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    I suggest everyone interested in retaining the quality of this board report Hinkle Magic’s post(s).

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    To be clear: I was not anointing him. Just pointing out that he's on an NBA coaching track and it would make little sense to switch back to college.

16. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,710
    I had unfortunately unblocked everyone now that they wouldn't be insulting players while they played, but that one is just trying to get banned so he can cry somewhere else about what a Pollyanna board we are... I hope he gets his wish, that was beyond the pale!

MIBulldog, ButlerProf and tlp63 like this.
  17. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $412
    The purpose was to get a snapshot of where the board stands and get posters committed on where they stand. My sense all season and even into these last few weeks was that there was consensus he should get another few years but the fire him now stuff came on strong, admittedly from some loud voices, and I was interested in seeing how the board really felt. I also think it will be fun to come back in a year+ and review. I hope I get to do so with LJ clearing his name and having a good year and we move on from this discussion once and for all (well for a few more years at least;) ). If that's not the case then some other posters will be able to give me some grief for not seeing the reality of the situation back in the winter of 2019. Like @Jared Grubbs said, I hope the 'LJ is in over his head' discussion is ultimately up there with the 'has Holt lost the team' thread. Full disclosure...I support keeping LJ at least another two years.

In regards to Barry Collier, if he is coming on this board and using a poll I setup to evaluate the direction of the program, then he's not the great AD I think he is.

18. bumba

bumba Well-Known Member

Money:
    $7,475
    Agree, the 2020 class is critical. Bolt left the cabinet bare from a recruiting perspective & LJ scored Tucker and Battle. If he can keep getting Top 100 kids, they will eventually make up for his lack of coaching experience. I also agree with others two years is too soon to let him go.

Look at Chris Mullin. Sooner or later, recruiting wins even if the coach is learning on the job.

19. nindiana

nindiana Member

Money:
    $122
    Disagree on the assistants. ND Football was at a crossroads with Brian Kelly after the 4-8 season in 2016. ND AD Jack Swarbrick kept Kelly on the condition that he would evaluate and retool basically every key assistant position. It’s worked out quite well, and given ND some much needed continuity and success after the Davie/Willingham/Weis years.

I think LJ needs a couple more years, but Collier needs to step in and really evaluate if we are getting the most out of our assistant positions. And if LJ isn’t ok with Barry doing that, he can hit the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ButlerHomer likes this.
  20. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    You would be right, but Butler limits itself to coaches that know "The Butler Way"--which I think is a mistake. How many proven coaches are out there that are available with a Butler background? I already mentioned Thad Matta.

Your talent pool is Matta as far as proven, and then you get into unprovens like Shrewsberry, Michael Lewis, and Nored I imagine among top candidates.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    tedfrye likes this.