LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $787
    Ever heard of Patrick Ewing?

2. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,066
    LOL. Ok, then.

3. pharmtard09

pharmtard09 Active Member

Money:
    $15
    I dont understand wanting Matta to coach? He had to step down from OSU for the same reasons we are not happy with Jordan. Lack of results on the court and lackluster recruiting in relation to the rest of the conference. I guess I would be ok with Terry Johnson since he was here for 10 years and should have gotten the job over LJ.

I'd rather find a good proven coach in the A10, American, or CUSA and try to get them here.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. ButlerNut

ButlerNut Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $4,149
    My reply was partly jest, partly frustration with the extremely loud new voices on this board who think this is just a bash Butler site.

The part about Barry reading the board was total sarcasm. I forgot the font.

I hope you didn't take my post too seriously. End of season frustration and frustration with some on the board lent to my rant.

5. jeff

jeff Well-Known Member

Money:
    $327
    Nored would be a great get, but you're probably right.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Butler Hoops mobile app

6. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $483
    I disagree with terry Johnson. To me he is one of those guys who are great assistant coaches not more than that. Let’s give LJ a year or two more

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

7. Staxawax

Staxawax Well-Known Member

Money:
    $9,914
    Not in favor of a coaching change, give him at least 2 more seasons. But, if something happens, I'd love Michael Lewis here.

Sent from my iPad using Butler Hoops mobile app

pharmtard09 likes this.
  8. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $787
    Not sure what's so funny, when it's a proven example of a former NBA assistant going back to his alma mater to be a head coach (for presumably a lot more money than he made as an NBA assistant), but feel free to laugh on instead of countering with actual logic or you know a point.

9. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Not that I am recruiting Willie Veasley as our next head coach, but he seems to be doing a good job as an assistant at North Dakota State. Not sure how interested he would be, but I would reach out to him about coming back to butler to be an assistant.

10. Army Dawg!!!

Army Dawg!!! Active Member

Money:
    $249
    I voted to keep LJ for two more seasons. I think its going to take him time to recruit his players. As long as the team is improving then I think BC gives him a lot of slack in the coming years. Wojo at Marquette is in year 5 and just now having success. This may take couple years to get back on the tracks. We have way too non-Big east caliber players on our roster right now. I am not hoping people leave, but I kinda hope some people leave;) to make room for some good transfers. Sorry for saying that, but I want to win. For the first time since I can remember I did not watch every Butler game this year. Waiting for the Butler basketball season to start every year is one of my highlights, so hopefully next year will be easier on the eyes....

11. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,995
    This team desperately needs an infusion of transfers that can play at this level. That's one reason I can maybe buy for keeping things in tact with a couple staff changes. I guess. I still take the wash your hands of this disaster but I'd settle for him staying if he encourage a couple exiles then nab a transfer or two.

Army Dawg!!! likes this.
  12. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,066
    *Points to the exception, thinks it proves the rule*

13. MasterSplinter

MasterSplinter Active Member

Money:
    $407
    Ha all good mate. I was wondering where that was coming from a bit and the sarcasm in the BC comment went over my head so maybe we are both suffering. To be honest, I hesitated to make the poll as I didn't really want to add fuel to the fire but also thought it would be good to get it out of our system.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Butler Hoops mobile app

ButlerNut likes this.
  14. BulldogsAllTheWay

BulldogsAllTheWay Well-Known Member

Money:
    $574
    I question anyone who truly believes LaVall should be fired. I was often unhappy with him and the entire team. For me, this was the most frustrating Butler season of my lifetime. But sheesh we fire LaVall now and we are starting over. If you give him time, I think he'll recruit better than any coach we've ever had. And for the love of god we need some stability. I'd give him three more years minimum.

I think this thread will look pretty foolish this time next year.

15. Red1972

Red1972 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,043
    Recruiting is the key. Recruit, recruit, recruit, and recruit some more.

16. Hinkle Magic2

Money:
    $787
    Okay, how about Walter McCarty?

17. jkcdawgs

jkcdawgs Well-Known Member

Money:
    $600
    Figured I’d put this here and not start a new thread...

Why is everybody down on Jeff Meyer? He’s a proven coach.

Adding somebody like Joey Burton to the staff would be nice, but I’m sure he’s making some nice change training GR3, Carsen Edwards, Edmond Sumner, and Yogi.

18. bmradio99

bmradio99 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,386
    In the Venn diagram of "someone who is good" and "someone who won't leave," Butler has yet to make those two circles overlap. (Well, since Tony Hinkle.) I think LaVall has a chance to do that. I also think it's a small chance based on this season. My fear is that Butler fans will love him more for not leaving than anything else.

I think I've cooled down from "fire them all" and rejoined the real world, but I can't say my level of optimism has changed. I mean, seriously, how cool would it be for a guy like LaVall Jordan to become Butler's next great, successful MBB coach? But wanting something and believing something will happen are different.

jkcdawgs likes this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,399
    Many in society now wish so badly for something to have happened that they believe it did.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  20. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $426
    and last year how many on this board commented, "LJ was a temporary hire until the Michigan job opens?"
    LOL.