LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Insane Dawg

Insane Dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $12,343
    Interesting how things can change in the world of college b-ball. The PAC 12 may only get one team in and the Lady Vols may miss the dance.

2. BUBlue

BUBlue Member

Money:
    $50
    I voted to give LJ 1 more year. Is it too late to change that?

willisbrown likes this.
  3. ButlerHomer

ButlerHomer Active Member

Money:
    $289
    2 more years to turn it around but if we don't make it to the tournament next year I wouldn't be opposed to a change. It's a hard balance of too much turnover and finding the right fit. 4 years is probably the right amount of time to give someone, barring a Miller situation or true incompetence. 2020 recruiting is absolutely massive for LJ.

I like Jordan and would be disappointed if he doesn't work out.

IndyDawgs likes this.
  4. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,917
    We're on the edge of true incompetence and have a team that can't outwork another team with 6 players. That's simply unacceptable.

BUBlue, Clevedog and dippper61 like this.
  5. IndyDawgs

IndyDawgs Active Member

Money:
    $429
    The 2018-2019 team was just fundamentally flawed. It seems like a combination of players' skills not being suited for the coaching staff's system and the coaching staff refusing to adjust to the players' skill.

Either way, seems like A LOT is riding on Tucker, Golden, Hastings, Nze, Battle and Mulloy proving LaVall knows what he's looking for in recruits and that he knows how to use and develop them when they get here.

bubby likes this.
  6. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $426
    Let’s not forget this was the first season with dedicated strength and condition. Players are still learning to adapt to their new bodies just like growth spurts. As I’ve frequently stated; Injured or recovering prior to or during season: CD, BG, MH, JBG, SM and ineligible for part or whole season: JT, BN. Don’t talk about what Nebraska was able to do last night or in recent games, think about what this staff actually accomplished this year.

7. the_speakers_lab

the_speakers_lab Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,189
    Yeah, this is the first time w a dedicated S&C coach for basketball, but it's not like they weren't lifting weights prior to him just being hired for basketball... don't buy that excuse

ButlerProf likes this.
  8. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $777
    LaVall Jordan deserves the benefit of the doubt for another season, but if the Bulldogs have another uninspiring season, where they get worse--not better over the course of the season, and end up near the basement of the Big East. It's time to hit the reset button.

9. Title

Title Well-Known Member

Money:
    $229
    They are going to be picked last, or close to it. I don't think he should be fired, but given that standard, you may as well do it now.

Butler's problem goes WAY beyond just the head coach. Until you fix that, it just doesn't matter. They are what they are. Why keep fire guys for Butler being what it should be?

10. ButlerAlumDad716

ButlerAlumDad716 Active Member VIP Member

Money:
    $426
    it’s not just weights. Diet, movement & exercise, fat loss, isometrics, cool down periods, etc. It makes a difference. It will definitely show next season.

11. willisbrown

Money:
    $2,917
    The worst part about my feelings and what you mentioned, is that this team as a whole, every part, got worse throughout the year. Hard to recognize them many times. We need to see a good helping of player development, another season of marching backwards and the basement will be ours not only this and next year, but many to come.

ButlerProf, KCbufan21 and Clevedog like this.
  12. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,343
    Nebraska had won three of their last four games.

13. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,343
    I hope someone ,who knows what they are doing , works with Brunk on his footwork, quickness and his hops. He has the motor and is an excellent passer. Motivation and attitude are there. But unless he gets quicker and improves his elevation no amount of strength and conditioning is going to make that much difference. Big East bigs were just too athletic .

14. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,588
    It’s probably too late for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

15. Tiles52

Tiles52 Active Member

Money:
    $392
    Who would you have put on Roby? He was too athletic and quick for Brunk or Fowler and he was too big for either McDermott or Tucker to guard. Did Roby, and Palmer for that matter, ever come out of the game? It seems like there are several teams that are playing with a 7-man rotation; so I don't really put too much stock in the number of players that Nebraska had. I wasn't happy with the final result, but I was glad to see Butler actually show some fight for once. Too many times this year they have just hung their heads, and I don't believe they did that last night.

16. bubby

bubby Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,506
    I would have put Golden on him. Bryce doesn't have the speed really, but he's so active and in-the-face. Let him handle it until he gets his 5th foul, which might not take very long.

willisbrown likes this.
  17. willisbrown

Money:
    $2,917
    Bryce for some thud to mix it up and some David for a little harassment.

18. MIBulldog

MIBulldog Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $2,943
    I would vote for a minimum of two more years. If you recall, I think it was Brad Stevens who suggested BMill hire Holt as an assistant. Vall has been an assistant behind some pretty good coaches. If he’s going to replace any of the assistants I would hope it’s someone who can step up to the big chair.

Ideally, Vall has success and stays for a long while. I’m tired of the carousel. I think we can all agree that longevity and success are in everyone’s best interest.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Dewars12 and Hinkle Nation like this.
  19. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,343
    David is the only one I could see guarding Roby or Palmer. Bet in truth Butler won’t make a significant run in the BE until they find talent, athleticism and size like those two.

20. Insane Dawg

Money:
    $12,343
    Miller was close friends with Holtmann. I don’t think Stevens had much to do with it if anything.