LJ - should he stay or should he go?

Discussion in 'Butler Basketball' started by MasterSplinter, Mar 14, 2019.

?

LJ - should he stay or should he go?

1. Fire him now and start the re-rebuild.

2. Gets one more season, but two down years starts the trend and he's out.

3. Two more seasons, if it ain't happening after four total years will it ever?

4. Indefinite/Lifer...the guy bleeds Butler Blue and we need that coaching stability.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Hinkle Magic2

Hinkle Magic2 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $792
    Sounds like Both were true.

https://www.cleveland.com/osu/2018/06/one_year_later_inside_the_48-h.html

2. Hinkle Nation

Hinkle Nation Active Member

Money:
    $480
    I’ve always said Lavall should get a year or two after this season. Now that it is over I think after next year should provide a clear vision whether he stays or needs to go. Bryce Drew just got fired man that would be a great hire for butler I think. But I think Lavall isn’t going anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops mobile app

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    estar20dawg likes this.
  3. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    What makes you think that someone that just went 0-18 in conference play would be a good hire? I thought the idea behind the replace LaVall movement was to bring in a better coach? A guy riding a 20 losing streak doesn't appear to be an upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

4. estar20dawg

estar20dawg Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,088
    I actually kind of really think Bryce Drew is someone who could thrive here as well.

5. willisbrown

willisbrown Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,719
    100% agree. He caught a raw deal and couldn't adjust this year in a very tough sec. I think he'd come back to Indiana and do very well at any school which he landed.

6. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Can someone explain something to me- why is Scott Drew's name never mentioned? Too much $$$$? I'll admit- up until a few days ago I never knew he was a Butler Grad- had always assumed he had gone to Valpo.

willisbrown likes this.
  7. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    Because he’s not a very good coach

Sent from my iPhone using Butler Hoops

BU_NeonHat and UDDawg like this.
  8. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,719
    I wish I thought we'd have a crack at paying for and reaching out to someone like that. He'd have this place on its head and Butler back in the dance.

9. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,173
    jal8908 likes this.
  10. BURph92

BURph92 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $1,161
    They’re talking about Scott Drew at Baylor not Bryce Drew.

11. Ignatius J. Reilly

Ignatius J. Reilly Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,173
    Ah, yes it’s me the big dumbass.

willisbrown likes this.
  12. kmacker69

kmacker69 Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $3,707
    He's not going anywhere for at least two years unless there is a mass exodus of talent and nothing coming in to replace it... Wish and hope, but I'm excited to see what we get next year and how they grow together in the new system. Unless AT, CD, Joey, and JT all leave the pieces we add next year will be a huge step forward in toughness. (I think AT will be a huge plus in the next two years and will make the whole can't improve players debate seem silly!) But I'm not so arrogant to think that I might not be wrong and make blanket statements. These are young men that have so much more going on in their lives than most of us will ever know!

Want to hear what we think players are going to do more than who could replace LJ since it isn't happening without a meltdown!

13. KCbufan21

KCbufan21 Member

Money:
    $29
    When I try evaluating LJ (or any coach for that matter), I look at the two main broad categories: coaching and recruiting.

On one hand you have the great coaches who always seem to make more with less and exceed expectations, who aren’t great recruiters. Examples that come to mind Brad Stevens (the GOAT), Chris Boltman, Chris Beard, Gregg Marshall, Tony Bennett* (excluding last years tourney run lol)

On the other hand we have the great recruiters, who regularly underachieve: Josh Pastner, Tom Crean, Sean Miller.

And then we have the great coaches who excel at both who I’m not going to list.

Point is, a school like Butler likely needs a coach of the former (of course if we don’t end up stumbling on one of the greats), just like our previous coaches to succeed, until we actually commit financially to at least have an average BE budget. IMO it’s easier to find high level recruiting assistants to fill the gaps than X n Os guy. These coaches are also more likely to make the deep runs in March vs the later.

It’s likely still too early to assess where LJ stands at this point. Last year’s team was overshadowed by the greatness of Kelan (which may or may not be due to LJ). Based on this year’s team alone, where arguably the team as a whole and individually got worse by the end of the season and underachieved significantly, I am worried we may not have that coach we need. And if that is the case, unless we are top 2-3 in the BE in recruiting and/or massive AC shake ups, it will not be fun couple of years.

I think we have another year to evaluate and see if this year was just an anomaly of the wrong group of players in the wrong season or if it was a sign of things to come. As a BU fan, I hope it is the former and we are dancing next year, as this season has been utterly painful

14. chas1116

chas1116 Active Member

Money:
    $249
    Except for going to the Round of 16 FOUR of the last 9 years, twice to the Elite 8, I could not possibly agree with you more! No way those credentials can compete with those of a Brandon Miller, Chris Boltmann or LVJ. I'll shut the fnck up with these stupid questions- sorry folks!! Just curious Dawgs2014- who falls into the "he's a good coach category"?? Maybe we could persuade Coach K, Roy Williams, Calipari, Few, Beulien or Izzo to take a flyer on Butler???? Who the hell wants someone like Scott Drew!!

ButlerProf and willisbrown like this.
  15. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,779
    I thought he was referring to Bryce Drew. Did I miss that?

16. Eric

Eric Well-Known Member

Money:
    $3,312
    If he wasn't, I missed it too

Sent from my SM-G892U using Butler Hoops mobile app

pjohnsto2003 likes this.
  17. NCJon

NCJon Well-Known Member VIP Member

Money:
    $6,277
    Scott Drew would be a clear departure from "the Butler Way," for whatever that's worth.

DawgPoundMac likes this.
  18. willisbrown

Money:
    $3,719
    Chas was referring to Scott Drew, who then the know it all butler ass kiss, 2014, responded that Scott Drew is not a good coach, which is about the most ignorant thing for a know it all I have ever heard. Chas is 100% right, Scott Drew has butler ties and is a very good coach that would turn this place upside down overnight. To think otherwise is crazy. We can argue on Bryce all day, but to not realize and respect Scott's achievements is pretty out there.

Hinkle Nation and nindiana like this.
  19. dawgs2014

dawgs2014 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $2,589
    What you talkin bout Willis

DawgsMD and willisbrown like this.
  20. pjohnsto2003

pjohnsto2003 Well-Known Member

Money:
    $4,779
    I personally like Scott Drew as a coach and love that he is an alum. It would take a lot to lure him out of Waco, though, including probably a contract buy-out which Butler would not pay/could not afford.

Not saying this year, or even next, but if things do not improve, I would love to see them try for the next hire. Makes a lot of sense.